NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Vacume leak and idle issue only when cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:09 PM

Vacume leak and idle issue only when cold

Hey All,

Here is the scoup, I just replaced my intake gaskets due to a nasty vacume leak that was causing a total loose of power on #4. Now since this "fix" i have a vacume leak when the car is first started. i can hear a vacume leak and the car refuses to idle.
I have checked the vacume lines, and sprayed starter fluid to see if the gasket perhaps did not seat correctly and the engine does NOT race. Oh, and here is the kicker, once up to operating temp the car runs perfect...no stumbles, no hitches, it doesnt die @ intersections.
Someone please tell me what i'm missing. I did search but didnt find anything closely related. Although i did get a few ideas on what to check (ie lines and such). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Royce
Old 09-08-2004, 08:42 PM

never mind

i found the problem...but thanks anyway
Old 09-08-2004, 11:31 PM

well what was it? i was gonna say maybe u missed something.......a line or a gasket that wasnt properly aligned and when the car warms up the motor expands and fills the gap....???
Old 09-08-2004, 11:34 PM

Yeah, I'd like to know what the problem was too. I have a vacuum leak as well.
http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...threadid=15642
Old 09-09-2004, 02:03 PM

the damn IACV-air regulator wasnt tightened down all the way. Hence, when the engine got hot...just like you said Sage. This was the first major issue i have had with the car. Initiall it was just the gasket from the intact to the head that was bad. Once replaced, i just didnt get that piece tightened. I'll tell you what though, a FSM sure comes in handy when you're trouble shooting. I was aable to check everything that makes up the Vacume system. Thank God murphy's law didnt make me check that last...lol

-Royce
Old 09-09-2004, 09:36 PM

hehe good job man!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:57 PM

hey jjspierx,

explain your problem...perhaps we can help??

-Royce
Old 09-09-2004, 10:18 PM

i already posted on his thread, he hasnt responded.......
-sage
Old 09-09-2004, 10:31 PM

i noticed after i posted my reply...sorry. I'm guessing he may need to take his air intake off and take a look under it, where it routes across the fan guard...guessing though.

-Royce
Old 09-10-2004, 01:06 AM

Yeah, I did that already Royce. I think the "air leak" sound I am hearing is just a natural noise. I am thinking it might not be an airleak at all. The symptons I am having are crappy idle(sometimes) and I can't maintain a constant rpm while revving in neutral(sometimes). It wasn't doing this when I bought the car on Monday. I started doing it 2 days later. After that, I changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter and I replaced fuel injector seals on a leak injector(and its still leaking, doh!) It seemed even worse after that. However today it has been fine all day, except at lunch when I started it, the idle was low and bouncing up and down from 300-1000. Even after the car was warm, when I'd come to a stop light I'd have to put the car in neutral or it would bounce up and down. It makes the car kind of bog when you first give it gas from a stop when its doing this, but once you are above 1000 rpms it is fine. I'm really not sure if its a vacuum leak at all.

Sage - I replied to you in my other thread now.