Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

Driving Stick

Old 09-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Driving Stick

hey guys, can anyone give me a few pointers on driving manual? im looking for a standrad car in like a few months and i wanna know how to be able to drive it, nothing crazy, just to be able to drive from point A to point B, none of my friends have a standard car, all auto so im looking around, my dad told me he'll teach me a few pointers, but i wanna be able to know what the heck he is talking about...so any help would be great.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:01 PM

mmm, I just got my first manual, I absolutely love it. Hmmm as far as pointers, you've never driven a manual? Do you know the process (like how the clutch works, etc etc?) It's pretty much give ur self a week to get a good feel for it, dun let up on the clutch too fast, but at the same time, don't ride and burn the clutch. LOL, I guess I'm not that good at giving advice...

Basically learn it and then have a blast
Old 09-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

thanks, any tip would help, nah ive been in standard cars,and watched there footing, but never really got behind the wheel of one, im looking for the Driving stick for dummies book, haha, thats how bad i want to learn, got a question though, whats this about downshifting on turns? thats only if your in 2nd or 3rd gear right or am i compeletly off? haha sorry if i come off dumb
Old 09-10-2004, 12:22 PM

haha it's cool. The first time I touched stick was a friend's acura... in a parking lot, never took it past 2nd gear. Then I had to drive my friend's Hyundai, took it on the highway, was a little jumpy with the stick but I handled it okay. Then I finally got my sx and after about 2 weeks I now shift w/o even thinking about it. (I've had the car for almost 2 months now)

Downshifting is generally used when either you want to quickly accelerate, or if you are slowing donw just enuf to be too slow for your current gear.

The reason you would downshift around a turn is generally the best way to take a turn (correct me if I"m wrong) is slow in - fast out. Which means you downshift coming into the turn because you are going slower than ur current gear and to get more acceleration while you are coming out of the turn. This is pretty much true for any gears (just don't downshift to 1st)

You can have lots of fun with a manual, hang in there when you get the car, have your dad teach you how to handle hills -> it's a matter of holding the clutch at what I called the magic spot, right before it's about to stall so that you don't roll back.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:23 PM

the best way to learn is to drive it ALL BY YOURSELF. sometimes it sucks hearing your passenger that's teaching you tell you things that make you feel stupid.

-jaysin
Old 09-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Just remember, when you stop/brake, Clutch.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

You downshift into a turn to slow down and also to stay in your powerband. If you're slowing down, use engine stopping to slow you down, meaning downshifting. Rule of thumb, downshift if RPMs are below 2k. You'll get the hang of it. Oh, and don't ride your clutch pedal, you'll wear down your clutch.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

so pretty much the trick to it all is the clutch? so you gotta use the clutch at everytime you shift, so when do you know when to shift? also should you left foot always kinda hover about the clutch before you brake? and what do you do at a red light (stopping and then going)....he he sorry for the many questions, ive been reading these sites about *how to drive your manual transmission* and *how to use a stick: the easy way* and other sites...its a work in progress...how long did it take most of you guys to learn and really get it down naturally?
Old 09-10-2004, 05:02 PM

Taking off is the hardest part IMO about learning how to drive manual. You need to have the clutch pedal down, then give it some gas and ease up off the clutch to try and balance it out. Sounds harder than it actually is. Easy way I taught myself was to rev the engine once a little bit and slowly bring out the clutch while revving it lightly again and holding the gas lightly. Don't know if I explained that too good.

Try going down a hill since your just learning. If your stopped on a downward incline, push the clutch pedal down, shift into first and easily let off the clutch, since your on the hill you wont need to give it gas and the car should start moving pretty good. Going up the hill is a little tougher if your not used to driving manual since you will coast back like a ****.

As for when to shift, you can pretty much feel it in the car (engine will get louder as the rpms go up in each gear, acceleration will start to decrease). When my friend started driving manual he thought it was like a video game and tried to max out every gear, which you don't need to do in everyday driving. When driving around here on regular slow *** mph roads I usually shift around 2000 or 2500 rpms. Once you get used to it you will know.

Overall its not hard like alot of people seem to think it is. I taught myself to drive manual in a weekend, I wasnt the best but I knew what I was doing and had the take offs decent enough. After more practice you will shift without even realizing it, it'll become second nature, just sucks when you go to drive an auto after you drive stick for awhile. I drove my friends auto after 2 years of driving manual and I kept wanting to shift and one time even slammed on the brakes attempting to hit the clutch that wasn't there.

Eventually you will figure out the exact point where your clutch grabs and you will improve, just give it some time and practice. Like I said I taught myself, which I think is the best way, learn from your mistakes, trial and error. Don't be afraid if you stall the car a bunch of times, it happens to everyone

Oh and when changing gears always make sure to have the clutch in or else you will grind something fierce

If you didn't understand that I'll try and explain it better, dont know how good I am at explaining things

Last edited by Bryan; 09-10-2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

from a dead start was hard as hell for me. Just remember to slowly let out the clutch. Its kinda a push in the gas and let the clutch out at the same time kinda thing. After first gear, for me, it went pretty smoothly. Youll know when to shift, just don’t lug it or let it die by letting out the clutch (which will happen when your learning). For me I had to get out of my "Let the clutch out to quickly, bounce, bounce, bounce" stage. Jus be confident, learn a little more about it, fool around with shifting while the car isn’t on, and go out there and have fun. :Thumb:

edit:
lol, I would always let the clutch out to quickly and let it bounce.

Last edited by l3ooherS14; 09-10-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

AKA the bucking bronco, the whole car shakes,m you shake and continually gas it and let go, lol. Fun stuff.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

haha, thanks artic, you explained pretty well, and everyone else, i have a general idea, but i gues its one of those hands on kinda thing, you cant learn from paper, you gotta do, it suprised me though how there are barely any manuals around my area, freaky indeed
Old 09-10-2004, 06:58 PM

driving stick is a process. dont rush it.

like everyone said, basics:

-dont ride clutch (you'll learn what this is when you start)
-learn how to stop and go on a flat surface first. then try hills
-Learn the basics of going from a dead stop, its pretty easy to shift once you are moving. Its the get go thats hard.
-Stopping is easy, just try not to stop when you aren't in gear, more wear on your brakes.
-If you are traveling fast, dont downshift to a low gear, basically use common sense.
-Practice, practice, practice.
-Dont try anything stupid, (i.e. TOGUE) until you can drive the car smoothly in your sleep.

And most importantly, have fun.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Google could have answered your question

BTW, I am a Google preacher now
Old 09-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

We can sort of tell that by your sig, lol!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving Stick