Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

N.O Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 02:54 AM

What the hell do you guys want Bush to do? He dispacted troops on tuesday. They came in from all over the country, plus preparing 9 Million MRE's, Water, Ice, ect.

What did the Gov. and Mayor do? They yelled at each other on the phone. They were proably too busy abandoning the city eating hot meals and sleeping in big cushy beds to do anything about the crisis. They did nothing.

N.O. was a horrid city. Sinking on average over an inch every year into the Bayou. I mean what kind of genius builds a city lower than the gulf, and between a lake?! The place was seriously a sespool.

The only thing good that ever came out of N.O. was Girls Gone Wild videos.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

^^
Old 09-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Purple240
What the hell do you guys want Bush to do? He dispacted troops on tuesday. They came in from all over the country, plus preparing 9 Million MRE's, Water, Ice, ect.

What did the Gov. and Mayor do? They yelled at each other on the phone. They were proably too busy abandoning the city eating hot meals and sleeping in big cushy beds to do anything about the crisis. They did nothing.

N.O. was a horrid city. Sinking on average over an inch every year into the Bayou. I mean what kind of genius builds a city lower than the gulf, and between a lake?! The place was seriously a sespool.

The only thing good that ever came out of N.O. was Girls Gone Wild videos.
yea ok, THAT'S real helpful. Just talk some more **** about the people that have just about lost everything...

"Bush doesn't care about black people." -Kanye West on the NBC fundraiser...
Old 09-03-2005, 08:32 AM

I dont know about this, theres not really much bush, the governer or anyone can do besides what its being done, it was too big of a hit to help whats been helped, and the thing that is pretty poor is that during the tsunami and any other crisis for that matter over the world, we were the first country to step up and help...............

but when we have a crisis like this only a few countries decide to step in and even so they didnt step in immediatly it took them a few days to decide.

NO ONE can blame this on racism, if it were all white americans down there, the same situation would occur, you cant give immediate help to something that size, and no one here as been put in that place to decide, so no one can rag on bush for that aspect. HE is helping one of the few ways he can whether it be black,white,latino it would be the same thing, just because the majority race down there is african american doesnt mean bush is going to neglect or refuse to help.

And they were right, the design on the city was a dumb design, I dont think any of those people deserved it but below sea lvl and in between two bodies of water? Something more should ahve been done previously.

Also another thing are the looters, people arent jsut looting food for survival they are taking everything, and those people walking around with ak's shooting and setting fire to others is rediculous. All these people have lost everything they own, and the ***holes that are causing havock are taking what little they have left including their lives.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
yea ok, THAT'S real helpful. Just talk some more **** about the people that have just about lost everything...

"Bush doesn't care about black people." -Kanye West on the NBC fundraiser...
Ok, come on now. Yea, it's a tragedy what happend, I'm not saying it wasn't. But it wasn't racsim that was going on down there. And really, don't give me that much **** about it, I still have 4 friends that are unaccounted for down there.

It sucks what happened, but they knew 2-3 days in advance Katrina was comming. If I was in some of their position, and didn't have the money to drive out, I would have hitch hiked, walked, run, anything to get the hell out of there. But some poeple just simply are not that smart.

Oh god, the Kanye West theory... Swear, just what has HE done to help any of them yet? Sit round in his million dollar mansion, smoke big *** blunts, and drink 40's for his fallen brothern? I'm sure it was right at the top of this list to go down there and wade through stagnant infected water, to serve food to murders, rapist, and theives.

Has anybody even though about the rest of the state that was desimated by Katrina? Highways and roadway covered by trees, powerlines, debris, ect... made much of it impassable for days anyways. It takes time for that stuff to get cleared so the goverment can bring supplies and releif to the citizens.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

well... I pretty much agree with the things you guys are saying, I just woulda worded it all a bit differently... tomatoes, toe-ma-toes....
Old 09-03-2005, 08:31 PM
PNG

The real failure here was that nobody planned for the worst-case scenario, despite the fact that everyone from the Army Corps of Engineers to National Geographic magazine predicted exactly what would happen if the levee system was breached.

They told everyone to evacuate, just like they've done for every hurricane, and those with the means to get out of the city for a few days did so. Meanwhile, the poor, the very ill, and the elderly did what they always do - batten down the hatches and wait for it to blow over. Except this time, it didn't blow over.

They established the Superdome as a "refuge of last resort" and prepared it to shelter 10,000 people for the 24 hour period it would take for the storm to pass. If the city hadn't flooded, it would have been an acceptable plan.

Whether it was too costly, or too hard, or just not something the local authorities could wrap their brains around, nobody said, "what do we do if the water comes in?" There was no contingency plan for that - just a "normal" hurricane. As a result, the 100,000 or so people who couldn't or wouldn't leave the city ended up in a very desperate situation, and everyone in a position to help still didn't understand that this was a different kind of event than they had planned for.

In a perfect world, the day before the storm hit, every school bus in the city would have been going through the poorer neighborhoods, picking people up and taking them to Baton Rouge.

In a less-perfect world, on Tuesday the National Guard would have moved in force to create a corridor to the Superdome to bring supplies in and people out, and it would have been running 24 hours a day. From there, the Guard could begin running sweeps farther and farther out into the city, methodically picking up survivors, gathering the dead, and arresting looters and arsonists.

Instead, what happened was that everybody ran around in tight little circles, waiting for someone else to come up with a plan.

I can't wait until five or six years from now, when all the people who were on the ground and saw what really happened have told their stories.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:41 PM

^^^
Old 09-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

sounds good to me.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Contributing Member

wow, reading is boring.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

DON'T PULL THAT RACIST BULLSH!t !!

I hope to god none of you think "its because they're black."
And that none of you aggree with that statement

Those are the people that say, oh, "its because i'm black, F-you cracker!" and then they turn around and say acts of racism were acted upon them. Give it a ******* ****ing rest. Trying to get everything from us taxpayers and HARD WORKERS, yeah WORKERS, not PROFFESIONAL WELLFARE-ERS. And then turn around and put us down for it even more.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:02 PM

Cape man, I believe u are my new hero, and u couldnt have said it any better! and mind u even his statement wasnt pointing fingers at any particular race, just those people who are following that way of life, which are a lot of people.

Last edited by NISxMO; 09-04-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:27 PM

I understand when all of you back up bush and the government, and i also understand all of you that say the government is wrong.
It all depends on who you're looking at.
I believe the mayor of NO has been doing everything in his power. This is the first complete evacuation of NO in its history and he's done the best he can. Everyone was moved to the superdome because it is the only structure in the area thats 1. big enough to house all those people and 2. can withstand a storm of that magnitude.

the governor of LA, i have no idea what she's doing.
supposedly she and bush sat down and had a talk to decide on a course of action. she came out saying she needed 24 hours to decide. 24 hours to decide? think of the lives that could be helped in those 24 hours.

Bush isnt all that great with the situation either. what has he done? flew down to NO and made a few speeches saying how he understands the magnitude of the situation and that he's behind everyone. understand nothing. Cuba has offered to send doctors to NO to help. no strings attached. Cuba has the most doctors per capita in the world. so where are those doctors? still in Cuba. the American government hasnt even acknowledged their offer.
not even a "thanks, but no thanks we can handle it ourselves"(which we cant)
Look at FEMA. they're not doing such a hot job either.

the lines of communication and transportation have been broken in NO. its worse than any war situation. massive flooding of disease infested waters. no lines of communications which explains the severe disorganization between rescue workers.

Everyone points out all the things that are going wrong down there. its because that's all the media shows us. someone gets raped, someone gets robbed, someone gets shot. you get those individual stories with details. but when the national guard or anyone else fishes a few hunderd people out the water or off their roof tops, you only get a number figure. you dont get the stories of the sick and the hurt that have been through much more pain and suffering than someone being robbed.

i do not know if this story has reached this forum yet, but here's a link http://www.teckademicseast.com/forum...ad.php?t=11770

**** what they show you on the news. they only show you what they want you to know. they only show you stories of trageties because that keeps you glued to the tv set. no one wants to see happy endings. this might sound a little cold, but its more fun to watch the bad than the good.

all of you should stop criticizing what who is doing wrong. what have you done right? still sitting around worrying about what car part to buy next. (mind you, i'm not talking about everyone. but its usually the people that have a lot to say that isnt doing much)
its not the right time to point fingers. it doesnt help the situation any. right now everyone has to the the best they can given the current situation and start putting blame on the deserving parties AFTER the situation has been resolved. everyone fighting over who is right and who is wrong will only delay the good we can do for those in NO.

sorry, little long, but this **** pisses me off.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

yes, opinionated ignorance seems to be a prevalent theme around these parts. u guys should read that linked thread btw, learn something you don't know~

Last edited by CowboyTurbo; 09-08-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:18 PM

in reguards to FEMA

Excerpt from the Cafferty File 9/08/05
Jack Cafferty

"Somewhere along the way, FEMA became a dumping ground for the president's politcal chronies with little experience in disaster relief.
The agency's first director was Joe Alba he was president Bush's 2000 campaign chairman. Alba brought in the current failure, Michael Brown. His previous work was with arabian horses. The number 2 guy, Brown's top deputy at FEMA is a fellow named Patrick Roe, he worked for the president's 2000 election campaign. The number 3 guy is Brooks Altshuler he used to work in the White House, his job was planning presidential trips. And FEMA's long term recovery director is a guy named Scott Morris, he produced television and radio commercials for the Bush campaign.
the federal agency charged with handling national agencies is staffed at the very top by a bunch of policial hacks with virtually no experience that qualifies them to respond to something like Katrina"

i just heard. play/pause constantly to type it all down.
i knew it was something like this, but i just needed some confirmation. seems like bush was just giving away jobs.

Quick Reply: N.O Crisis