Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

Opinion on Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 09:54 AM

Opinion on Camera

Well I'll be picking up a new digicam in the next couple weeks, not sure when exactly. I was just wondering if anybody had it or if anyone has anything to say about it...its the 7.2 MP Sony Cybershot DSC-P200

heres a link to Sony's info page
Old 07-25-2005, 12:15 AM

Honestly 4.0 mega pixel is probably the highest end you want for a point and shoot camera. However, instead of Sony, I'd recommend Cannon Powershot, quality is way better, and Cannon is the best for both point and shoot and SLR cameras. You don't need 7.2 megapixels, what it really does is gives you a horribly big image and also big in size thus you need a bigger and more expensive memory card.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Contributing Member

5.0MP is all your gonna need unless you want to print these pictures in massive sizes.

5.0MP will give you beautiful quality on a standard size print.

IMO..7.2 is a waste of money unless you're gonna do something professional /extreeeeem with it.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/ is a good site to get reviews.

I actually just picked up an Olympus C-7070 Wide zoom camera..and a couple of neccesary things w. it. Basically it ran me close to $1k. FOR A ******* CAMERA +things..I guess..
Old 07-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Canon do make good cameras, but I wouldn't say they're the best. I'm a Nikon guy and I've always loved the way Nikon feels in my hands. A lot of cameras are basically the same with give or take 1-2 differences in features. When I was shopping around for my SLR, I was initially going to buy a Canon cuz my dad had a Canon. I looked at a Canon Rebel and its competitor at the time, which was the Nikon N65. The N65 felt better when I held it and that's how I made my decision. It was just based on preference in comfort. FYI, Majority of the Pulitzer Prize winning photographs are shot with a Nikon camera. Photo-journalist shoot Nikon, also.

When it comes to point and shoot digital cams, 7.2 might be a lil too big. I'm sure you're not going to print any pics bigger than 8.5"x11." So I don't think you need anything bigger than 5.0mp.

The pics I post on here are from a 3.2mp camera, Sony brand also. It looks just like that one you like, except the p200 is the newer version (mine is a p8).
I, too, was looking at that cam for my gf, but $400 was a lil too much for my pockets. Bought her a Casio exilim ex-s100 instead because it had a lot of features and she just uses it to take pics of friends and such and it's real slim.

Try looking at the Canon sd series cams and Nikon coolpix series. Olympus Stylus Verve is supposed to be good according to digital photography magazine.
SD cards for memory are a little cheaper than the stick, btw.
When buying a cam, you might want to go with one that has info lithium battery(it lasts longer and you can recharge it).
Point and shoot digital cameras with optical zoom are useless IMO. Yeah, you can zoom farther but the pic turns out blurry. So just go for a cam with digital zoom.

I've had good experiences with Sony tho. It takes great night pics.

here's an example

Last edited by naptime; 07-25-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

we have some panasonic camera... cost like $500, closest thing to SLR but not. THe camera and the pictures it makes are incredible, great for anything from skiing to car shows... i'll try n find the model# and the stuff