Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

What should I get guys Project car help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:26 AM

What should I get guys Project car help

I'm choosing between a 1986 SR5 Corolla, it has cold-start issues, a little rust, it needs a clutch and struts all away around.

and

A 1987 GXL RX7, it needs rear struts and has a fuel leak from a flex line (rubber hose about 4 inches long) at the fuel regulator. Just wondering which you guys think I should get.

The RX7 is primer and gray, it has some issues. Not saying it's flawless, but he only wants 1000 bucks. The passenger side door has an issue with the latch so it doesn't like to open.

The SR5 . . . is . . .well . . .an SR5, so it has the carbureted 4A-C motor, makes about 80 at the crank, it doesn't have much rust, but it does have a little bit. As I said, it would need struts and in order to have any real fun will need to be GTS Converted. That's not an expensive swap, just an annoying one. The only thing that makes me lean towards the SR5 is the fact that it's only 800 bucks and . . . .well . . . it's a hatch back Hachi Roku! That's a cool car! It looks fabulous but will need some real work before going.

Since I've owned an RX7 before, it makes me lean towards getting one because I already know how to maintain and operate on one, they're VERY . . . . .VERY easy to work on and just require regular maintenance is all . . . and quirky things, like . . . .every time you fill up the oil, put a bottle of 2-stroke in there . . How they actually burn oil on purpose so oil changes are more frequent and if you've never replaced the Apex Seals . . . then . . . well . . .you're in for a pleasant surprise.

The SR5, as mentioned before has the advantage of never having been owned by me ever. That means that I'm sincerely interested in owning and operating on one. I do realize that it would have to be converted to GTS before any real fun could be had, but man, a chance to own a piece of racing history for 800 bucks plus the cost of modification. Those cars are surprisingly inexpensive to modify . . .unlike our namesake . . . .*sigh* That IS one thing I do miss about the Japanese market . . . yeah . . . the build quality isn't as high, but MAN oh MAN those cars last for freakin ever, you don't hear about the same issues (well . . . there aren't as many things to go wrong, it's basically, an engine, cockpit (LOL ****), wheels, brakes, transmission and suspension.

Since they both would be track cars . . .I guess it doesn't really matter about the overall mechanical condition, but I'm stuck, I can't choose . . .

Let me know guys!

-Stig

:::Edit:::

Oh, sorry . . . I forgot, pics will be up later after upload!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

hmmm is this really David Adams? i thought you had a Bimmer track car lol and i also thought you hated the old school corolla.

well if it was up to me and i absolutely had to choose between those two id say the corolla cause i just cant fit in a RX-7 comfortably im too tall. also i used to like RX-7 then one came into the dealer and it had an electrical problem so i was stuck inside that tiny *** car all day to find out what was wrong with it and then the customer didnt wana fix it just made me never wana see a RX-7 again lol.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

as you already mentioned the seals is the main complaint i've heard about the rotary engines. i know next to nothing about that engine so i wouldn't get it. but if you've dealt with them before i say go for it.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

oh and its really really really really easy to flood a rotary even a fuel injection model
Old 10-28-2007, 01:06 PM

I like the RX-7 more. plus its more power. but why isn't a 240SX in consideration?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
oh and its really really really really easy to flood a rotary even a fuel injection model
Yes, I'm well aware . . . .LOL! My white comet used to flood on me like it was cool, I had to install an injection-override switch to help that out . . .cool thing was when we put the aftermarket exhaust on, she would shoot flames when starting from a flooded engine.

Name:  1c.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  30.9 KB

Originally Posted by Spade
I like the RX-7 more. plus its more power. but why isn't a 240SX in consideration?
They tend to be a bit pricey to purchase considering what they are due to the drifting craze, and I'm not a very big fan of that fact.

-Stig
Old 10-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

FC's are hot but so are Hachi's...personly i'd rather have the FC

i say go with the FC
Old 10-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by battosaii930

what?
i read about one running on 6 injectors so it would get enough fuel. like i said i'm not all that informed about these engines but i know that this car had six injectors.

oh yeah and the owner was looking into "pluming" (that's what the article said) for a seventh.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:00 PM

RX-7 all the way
Old 10-28-2007, 04:21 PM

why not a 3rd gen rx7 with a real motor? if you must stick it out with those 2 choices, rx7. not a fan of the corolla's
Old 10-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

i LOVE those old corolla's, i say get the corolla
Old 10-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bumnah
why not a 3rd gen rx7 with a real motor? if you must stick it out with those 2 choices, rx7. not a fan of the corolla's
Because a 3rd gen RX is one of his two choices....
Old 10-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

haha..i think he meant the FD

just get the 13B Efini
Old 10-28-2007, 06:34 PM

I know he meant an FD, but Stig only asked about the SR5 and the FC
Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah were did FD model come into consideration?

I like both alot. Both kick *** equally cool. 4AC is kinda lame tho. Primer Gray RX7 also stinks. Tough choice.

I think AE86 if you can get it for that cheap. If not, RX7 who gives a **** everyone *****es about it and they don't own the car

Quick Reply: What should I get guys Project car help