Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Went hillclimbing this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 03:31 PM

Went hillclimbing this weekend

well i finelly got to race. I've been wanting to for a long time.I'm in my 30. I raced in a hillclimb here in Vermont. It is on a paved road that is somewhat bumby in spots and the road had a little peek in the middle on a section. road condiction were wet at first and dried up in the afternoon saturday. It rained hard the whole week before the weekend. It was a two and a half day event. Friday tech and camp set up. Saturday was practice and sunday were the timed runs. It started to rain on sunday late afternoon.
My car a 92 240. It is bone stock under the hood. I don't even have a K&n kilter, i did take out the silencer. And the exhaust is stock. The only thing i did was to but in a electric fan. I do not like the cluch fan.I did insall kyb ajustable shocks, but had to keep the stock springs, do have some tien s- springs but could not run with them. (rules).All the bushing are replaced with poly-urathane ones.The rear sub frame have inserts only.I ran with really shi... tires on saturday 195\70\15. But was able to run a couple of runs with my hoosiers on 225\50\14.
Results,I had the time of my life. I will do it again for sure. We got 4 runs in on saturday and 2 on sunday. The first run 3:53 I spun my tire the whole way up the moutain I really had a heavy foot . The second run 3:56 I had settle done and really worked with the throttle more in stead of ***** to the wall. The third run 3:49 I was getting use to the course. By the fourth run 3:48 I ran it hard as I could. The car felt good. Vary controlable In every way. The tire really really sucked. I did mess with the presure of the tires and the shocks.
Sunday I but on the hoosier a3s05. Was able to get 2 runs in. First run 3:40. Had to get use to the extra extra extra grip these tires have, HUGE difference. The second run 3:32. Ran as hard as I could and that was the best run (fun wise to). I really wish I could had one or two more runs because I could of inproved more. I was just getting use to the tires and the course by this time.
Overall it was a blast and can't wait for the next one. We run only 6 times a year. On four different mountains. The course I just ran will be ran again in the fall. I will try to run the next one up. I will be installing the springs this time. Little inprovements after that. Wow that was a long post
Old 05-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like fun, try to get some pics next time!
Old 05-28-2006, 12:53 PM

touge touge!

that stuff is fun.
we went on a popular touge road
last weekend.

it was also an uphill climb.

definantly upgrade your suspension, brakes, and tires.
especially brakes for downhill.
when the mountain pass turned into teh downhill portion,
our brakes had faded and we almost hit the car in front of
us.

have fun!
Old 05-29-2006, 12:59 AM

I'd like to get involved in Hillclimbs in my area sometimes, if I have my car that long...

Moved to the "Motorsports" section
Old 05-29-2006, 03:50 PM

I finally did the springs. What a differance they made in the ride hieght. I think I had worn rear springs because it droped the front 3 1/2 inches and the rear 1. Looks good now. Also put on my rims. They are the 96 240sx stock alloy rims. These rims are really nice for stock. Sorry for no pics but my picture files are to big and don't now how else to do them. Maybe some help. I don't spend that much time on the computer. I did nothing to the brakes yet. I did but on some factory nissan pads and some rotors. But I will in a year or two. When we came down the hill I was really hard on them for a bit and didn't feel any brake fad. I took it easy as you can and they were okay. I heard that most factory pads where good because they build them better than the little parts stores do. I would not use napa or any of these kind of pads for any racing. This was coming from a long time racer. And he's pretty fast. All wheel drive mits evo. I think a 93 or so.
Also did the alighment today. Come to find out my toe was way off. Way to far out. Did not have any time to do it before the race. It took me untill thursday night just to go racing.
If you want to see some pictures of the hillclimb it self go to sccv.com. Sports car club of Vermont. I will try to get some picks of my car.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:25 PM

glad you're getting into it.
once you start hitting the touge..
you cant get enough of it...
Old 05-30-2006, 12:39 PM

Check out pdm-racing.com. They have a good selection of pads for 240's and they race themselves and provide good feedback on the products they carry.

Hill climb > Touge I just hate that term.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:49 PM

hm. speaking of pdm racing,
is the 300zx brake conversion really worth the $1290.02?

i mean..good brake pads, slotted rotors, and brake fluid should be enough right?..

i know the 300zx calipers are 4 piston though..
Old 05-31-2006, 03:01 PM

I would think that the brake upgrade would make a big differance in the over all stopping distants.I think stock our car stops in 143 feet from 60. 300z have a way better braking distance, 120 or so, and our cars are lighter than a z.
I am so hooked on hillclimbing now. I really want to enter in the next one in one more week, but i'm moving this weekend. Don't know if I will have the 150.00 dollar entry fee. But the move will be good because we will own it one day. I'm renting now. I will save money and you know what that meansMODS. Plus a garage to work in. The ground really sucks, the rain to. so it's all good. I will make the next one.

I really love my car now. I'ts really fun to drive now that the suspension is done. Can't wait for the lsd. Thats next on my list.
I should be online by this weekend. Peace.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:56 PM

I just updated my cardomain page. daves240sx07
Old 06-14-2006, 04:34 PM

Well the move went good. I really hate moving.With 4 kids there was alot of stuff.
I'm getting ready for the next hillclimb. It will be june 24 and 25th.Will set up on that friday, tech, reg.It will be at okemo mtn. in ludlow, Vt. It's only 30 to 40 min drive for me. I will give updates when I'm done. If anybody wants info go to www.hillclimb.org You can see results and reg. info.rules and directions to the mtns. Or just ask.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:00 AM

Goodluck with it man, definitely keep us updated!