S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

hello

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 06:59 AM

hello

hey, im thinkin about gettin a 240 and i just stumbled across this site.... i currently own a Mazda MX-6 and im a moderator on mx6.com.... I love my 6 but i want somethin thats RWD and turbo. at first i wanted a DSM but then i realized that the SR20DET is turbo and fairly cheap... $2500 for engine, trans, and ecu... so yea, you'll probally see me around askin stupid questions (i dont know **** about turbos)

*edit*
i have a few questions which probally sound dumb to you but i dont know **** about turbo cars or 240's... but im willing to learn. 1st, what does a 240 usually run if it has a s13 sr20det? how hard is the swap to do? and should i get the red top or black top? the black top is newer so would it be worth spending the $? any reliability differences between the two? in general, is the sr20det reliable?

Last edited by Psylent 6 LS; 01-13-2003 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Re: hello

Originally posted by Psylent 6 LS
1st, what does a 240 usually run if it has a s13 sr20det?
High 13 to a low 14.

how hard is the swap to do?
It's a direct swap. Not hard at all. Look @ www.heavythrottle.com to find out more.

should i get the red top or black top?
Same engine. Except black tops had a revised ECU fuel map for smoother revving.

the black top is newer so would it be worth spending the $?
Depends on how lucky you feel buying an older engine. I personally would go with the red top if you buy from good shop that tests all they're engines and a blacktop from a lesser shop.

any reliability differences between the two?
Nope.

in general, is the sr20det reliable?
The SR head isn't as strong as it should be. but if you know what your doing you'll be fine.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:53 PM

Re: Re: hello

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
High 13 to a low 14.

It's a direct swap. Not hard at all. Look @ www.heavythrottle.com to find out more.

Same engine. Except black tops had a revised ECU fuel map for smoother revving.

Depends on how lucky you feel buying an older engine. I personally would go with the red top if you buy from good shop that tests all they're engines and a blacktop from a lesser shop.

Nope.

The SR head isn't as strong as it should be. but if you know what your doing you'll be fine.

thanks alot, i know its probally a pain in the *** answering all these newbie questions (i know i get tired of it on mx6.com ) as for you last statment, is there any special treatment i should give it? any do's or do not's for turbo engines or that engine in general?
Old 01-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

hey we all ask and asked stupid questions from time to time.
as long as you try to search before reposting

i don't have an SR(thank god)
but i hear they are subject to overheating if there is more then a little air in the system.
a good upgrade to make before running your sr hard is a nice thick radiator.
i watched a drift tengoku cd...they did tests between stock, and a 3 and three core. the stock unit really isnt up to the extra heat.

and all turbo's like their oil...so idle before you drive off and same after you park to help prolong turbo life..

that's all i have for ya man. tons more info here(on the board)

rude
Old 01-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

If I remember correctly I think the overheating problem is from the SR's water pump stops working properly at high rpm's. Pretty much the same deal with the rocker arms. The first upgrades I'd invest in would be a good battery, pulleys, and rocker arm stoppers. A turbo timer would be useful too.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:33 AM

I hadnt noticed the overheating problem, mine works fine. But its always a good thing to get a better radiator and definitely the lash killer kit. It makes the SR drivetrain act like a CA
Old 01-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Regulate

Hey, I used to be on mx6.com, well, I still am, but I haven't posted in a while.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by rbboyl
Hey, I used to be on mx6.com, well, I still am, but I haven't posted in a while.
i think i remember seein u around.... did u own a 6 or just browse the board? if you did own one, how does the 240 compare to your 6? it would be nice to hear from someone that can really compare the two. oh and which do you like better?
Old 01-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Regulate

I was looking into buying a 6. That was actually my first choice when I was shopping for a car. I've only driven it once, a 96 LS for like, 5 minutes. It seems like the power isnt that much different, since there's only a difference of about 10 hp and torque. I can't really give a great comparison but I can say that RWD is sweet. You can really push them through turns and its a lot of fun. Even some of my passengers notice the difference in handling compared to FWD. As for weather, its not as bad as some people say it is, but its not great either. I've had no problem in rain. In snow you just have to be careful and drive conservatively. Had some trouble getting out of icy/snowy parking spaces though

I'm really happy with my 240, but I think I'd also be happy if I got an mx-6. I really liked that car, I still like to look at em when I see one on the road. The reason I bought the 240 was because I came across a good deal. Anyways, get the 240, you'll like it.

Last edited by rbboyl; 01-19-2003 at 09:32 PM.