Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

(another LSD ?) Which of these LSD's should I get

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 11:39 PM

Got it installed!!! Saturday was the day and it went pretty well. I will be posting a review; probably on zilvia.net and post a link here when I do. I haven't had much time to drive hard on it, but hopefully later this week I'll have the review done.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Contributing Member

wo0 cant wait for the review
Old 10-21-2003, 10:14 AM

quick Question!

I want to get vlsd for my '91 240sx...i was wondering which is a better buy...a vlsd with a rear abs driveshaft or without...my car right now does not have abs....so is it going to be hard to install the vlsd with abs?? or better yet...can i put one with abs if my car does not havs abs...
Old 10-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Re: quick Question!

Originally posted by santana
I want to get vlsd for my '91 240sx...i was wondering which is a better buy...a vlsd with a rear abs driveshaft or without...my car right now does not have abs....so is it going to be hard to install the vlsd with abs?? or better yet...can i put one with abs if my car does not havs abs...
ok, i'm a dumbass, so bear w/me. this is my limited understanding (and i hope that someone can come along behind me and clean up my mess ): the abs driveshaft, i believe is shorter than a non-abs one, due to the sensor. i don't think u have to do anything w/ur driveshaft when installing a vlsd. now ur output shafts and axles might be a different story (depending on the source of the vlsd; i.e. N/A 300ZX, infiniti J30, 240...). i just looked over a vlsd swap guide on 240sxclub in which someone hooked up a vlsd from a 300ZX (which had abs) to his 240 (which didn't). follow the link, go to the 'installs' section, and see what it says. i'm pretty sure there's nothing special about it...
Old 10-22-2003, 10:45 AM

hey thanks for the info man.....im really new to the whole scene so i guess i am just asking silly questions.....oh well...here goes another stupid question.....is abs good for drifting? i want to get into drifting but i am not too sure what specs are good for the 240
Old 10-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by santana
hey thanks for the info man.....im really new to the whole scene so i guess i am just asking silly questions.....oh well...here goes another stupid question.....is abs good for drifting? i want to get into drifting but i am not too sure what specs are good for the 240
id say ABS isnt good for drifting..ABS stops u from locking up the tires right? In drifting its helpful (if not needed) to lock the rear wheels. So i guess ABS and drifting do not go well together
Old 10-22-2003, 02:22 PM

sweet thanks for the info...another thing....i've been looking around on websites and vlsd is going for around $425....is that a decent price?? loooks like a should just save more money up to get a new one instead....but thats like $400-$500 more
Old 10-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

If ya buy one online u will have to pay for shippin...and thats ganna be a good 30 bucks maybe more. If i were u id go to local junkyards (there are lots in irwindale)and get it for 300-400 if they got it there.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:11 PM

If you are really thinkin about drifting, save up for the clutch-type diff. It may be more, but from everything I've seen on my research for this, they are much more reliable and quicker-locking than the VLSD.

But yea, if you still want a VLSD, look in some local junkyards.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Well this is wut ima do to give ya a idea..
Im ganna see how badly my car performs w/o anytype of LSD, im ganna be runnin a RB20 so the power from it might be a lil to much and my tires will be spinning, but with the proper suspension i dont think it will happen. So if its not performing well..ill buy a VLSD from a local junkyard, but if i can live w/o a LSD for awhile its time to save for the good ol clutch-type LSD (most likely KaAz) So drive ur car a bit..get the hang of it, if u REALLY feel like u need a LSD then get a VLSD if u aint got the money for the Big shot LSDs
Old 10-23-2003, 09:44 AM

yea thats what i was planning on doing....testing my car stock so i can actually feel and experience the changes in the car when i put mods on it....but as of for now i am just making a wish list and comparing prices....thanks for all the help guys~!!
Old 10-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Sure thing bro
Old 10-24-2003, 12:19 AM

Jeez, Jynx, you've turned my thread into a whoring ground!

haha. Well, I finally got the review done! It is here at zilvia.net. Hope it's helpful!

Old 10-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by focalguy
Jeez, Jynx, you've turned my thread into a whoring ground!

haha. Well, I finally got the review done! It is here at zilvia.net. Hope it's helpful!

I turn evrything in to a ***** thread lol, sorry bout getting off topic And nice write up
Old 10-24-2003, 05:26 PM

Thanks

Quick Reply: (another LSD ?) Which of these LSD's should I get