Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

best intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Wes

Maybe on a forced induction car... but on an N/A I'd think that whether the pipe was 2.75" or 3" or whatever it is wouldn't matter. The motor's not making THAT much HP without a turbo or N2O, I wouldn't think it would be pulling air in THAT hard. But like I said... I dunno, just my theory.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rycegrl
hmm.. now i was readin in Import Tuner and they said that Injen intake gets more horses, while AEM gets more torque.. isnt torque a lil more important? although i must say my first pick would be Injen even tho its like 100 bucks more.. ;x
Forget about AEM, they don't make an intake for a SOHC, only DOHC's.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

the truth about intakes is that if u go too large, then u lose performance (jus like an exhaust, too large, lose back pressure)

try to match the same diameter size ur throttle body is (where the intake connects to)

now, look at the AEM pic Stickgoat posted... instead of the intake running along side the top of the radiator... picture it goin to where the battery is located at... pure cold air there.... but louder than that AEM short ram...

personally, I'd go the JC Whitney pick up the u-bent pipe for 30 bux, custom cut it and run it the way Ive been talkin bout...but then, I would save the $ from that to do mah swap
Old 06-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NiSmO Knight
the truth about intakes is that if u go too large, then u lose performance (jus like an exhaust, too large, lose back pressure)
You have your concept of back pressure backwards. A larger exaust will decrease you exaust gasses velocity, because of the increased pipe diameter, which reduces low rpm exaust scavenging. In effect it creates backpressure which hurts performance. It's the same effect with intakes. Large pipe flows more with less velocity, while a small pipe has higher velocity with less flow. So basically smaller pipes are best for low to mid rpm hp gains while large pipes are best for top end power. I may not have described the best way, but that's the general idea.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
You have your concept of back pressure backwards. A larger exaust will decrease you exaust gasses velocity, because of the increased pipe diameter, which reduces low rpm exaust scavenging. In effect it creates backpressure which hurts performance. It's the same effect with intakes. Large pipe flows more with less velocity, while a small pipe has higher velocity with less flow. So basically smaller pipes are best for low to mid rpm hp gains while large pipes are best for top end power. I may not have described the best way, but that's the general idea.
i get ur idea more knowledge, thx
Old 06-03-2003, 01:17 AM

well, if u floor it, any intake will get u pulled over (personal experience there... ) but from wut I heard, its almost as short as a short-ram intake and everyone should know how loud a short-ram intake sounds when u rev... but on the website my friend showed me, they said it was loud and it did have a warning saying that it was LOUD....
What the hell are you talkin about? I have NEVER heard a"loud" intake. Its just an intake, they dont make sounds except for the new Blitz SuperSonic. And even thats not "loud". Is this a KA thing?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

hehe thnx for clarification... for the 2nd time lol... (its the 2nd time rite???)

Originally posted by Monkey Force
What the hell are you talkin about? I have NEVER heard a"loud" intake. Its just an intake, they dont make sounds except for the new Blitz SuperSonic. And even thats not "loud". Is this a KA thing?
now if u ever heard an intake only car, u would know that the intake screams the higher u rev it... now the custom intake Im talking about magnifies that sound because of the fact that it is shorter in length, from personal experience, the shorter the intake is, the louder the sucker gets... try jus installing the K&N cone filter, no intake piping.... loud as hell. My cousin did it once on his integra, he was missing the rubber sleeves. So he jus slapped the filter on the throttle body and drove to Home Depot, lucky no pig pulled him over
Old 06-03-2003, 12:17 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first time I put it to the floor after I got my intake it scared the **** out of me it was so loud. Atleast compared to stock anyways. I only notice it being loud at WOT
Old 06-03-2003, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

It's a N/A thing. Kinda like how exhausts are quiter on turbo cars and louder on N/A cars, same effect here.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

It's a N/A thing. Kinda like how exhausts are quiter on turbo cars and louder on N/A cars, same effect here.
now why is it that it is louder on NA motors? I thought it would be louder on turbo cars because of the larger piping??? or am I missing a concept there again?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

My guess is the sound waves are diffused by the turbine for the exhaust side and the intercooler and compressor on the intake side. Like a resonator.....
Old 06-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

icic..... well, the BOV makes up for the noise lost...
Old 06-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

icic..... well, the BOV makes up for the noise lost...
i love the BOV sound though, yummmmm