Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 03:37 AM
Contributing Member

Coolness sounds like we are now both on the same page.

Damn I thought I was the only nut posting on this site at 6:30am. You replied pretty quick there.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

i was just making my usual rounds at this time and checked out the board...heh
Old 09-20-2002, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

I would still push for a full setup, but GC are probably the best of the stand alone for cars with no other choice such as the stanza from Battle.

I would buy them over the other cheap stuff, but of course would rather some JDM type of coilover system
Old 09-20-2002, 09:23 AM
Regulate

Originally posted by battlestylespl
world sports are ok....but the higher up ones are alot better. jic magic are good, and so are teins...ground controls, drop zone, arospeed, and obx are show car coilovers.
When you say show car coilovers, does that mean that it just lowered and it rides just as well as stock suspension? or is it worse? a little better?
Old 09-21-2002, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

You give and get.

Positive: The ride is a little stiffer so there is less body roll. Negative: You feel every imperfection on the road.

Positive: The car can be lowered at a show when the judges come around and raised back to normal when you get ready to go home. Negative: You have to make the change manually. You have to turn the perches by hand.

Negative: I have known of some people having trouble adjusting their height when the perches get rusted / oxidized to the threaded bodies.

Show springs give you that ground scraping drop and the OEM height when you want to go home.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rbboyl

When you say show car coilovers, does that mean that it just lowered and it rides just as well as stock suspension? or is it worse? a little better?
they are about as good as cutting the springs...maybe somewhat better. it's basically just for the look. which is all show cars are there for...to look pretty.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:59 AM

dont bother with the sleeved coilover shock combo or the spring shock combo..
if u lower it more than like 2
when u drive agressive u will start riding on them lovely bumpstops..
Old 09-27-2002, 07:51 PM

they are about as good as cutting the springs...maybe somewhat better. it's basically just for the look. which is all show cars are there for...to look pretty.
whhhhaaaAA????? have you ever ridden in a car with cut springs compared to one with coils? It doesn't matter what brand coils will handle and ride waaaayyy better than cut springs.

I would say GC is a decent coil, I currently have DZ and they ride pretty decent and handle much better than stock, just don't go to crazy on the drop. It's pretty easy and quick to adjust them but they do get tough if you don't move them every so often. I got my DZ's cause they handle better, I actually don't like the look of dropped cars as much as some people (although the Alty does sit abnormally high) better than stock handling worse than stock ride.

True coilovers would be great but compare 139 to <1600
Old 09-27-2002, 11:54 PM
Contributing Member

ok..you busted me..no..i have never rode in a car with cut springs. all my friends aren't morons. and you own an altima. it's not like it matters if you get coilovers or not. it will still move like a land barge.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Well Cut spring, which I have done unfortunately in my past with one of my former Supras are horrible. They make you bounce and almost hit your head on the roof once there is consecutive bumps in the road, and/or a huge bump. Well we all know why that is (spring rates change, stock shocks can't handle that low, blah blah blah).

My cousin has DZ coilovers and they absolutely suck. 100% suck. he bought new kyb's and they still suck he said. he will be getting a set of eibach's. He said he drove his friends car with eibach's and those are 100% better than the DZ. You should drive a car with some real coilovers and you'll see the difference in a heartbeat. DZ are show springs for real when compared to a real shock/coil setup.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:35 PM

all my friends aren't morons. and you own an altima.
man stuff like this pisses me off but i will let it slide this time.

I have ridden in a 93 camaro with cut springs and a 5.0 mustang with cut springs.

My car has DZ coils.

My friends 92 civic has JIC coilovers and my other friend has a 95 camaro on eibachs.

DZ coils are for show but they do handle better than stock and I have asked many people about the ride and never got a complaint. If you slam most coilovers they suck but a mild drop will be okay. The JIC's were amazing, the car felt like it was stuck to the ground, the eibachs were also pretty good but eibachs are springs and springs will always outperform cheap coils. The cut springs were horrid.

it will still move like a land barge
ride in my car someday, it isn't the greatest cornering moster ever but it handles a lot better than stock and it might surprise you.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by battlestylespl
ok..you busted me..no..i have never rode in a car with cut springs. all my friends aren't morons. and you own an altima. it's not like it matters if you get coilovers or not. it will still move like a land barge.
I have an altima and a s13, and my alty is not on coils, but with DZ lowering springs with KYB GR-2 struts. And to be honest, it is far from a land barge. a stock S13 may out accelerate and out corner an altima, but on a straight away, a stock altima will catch up, and pass an s13. a s14 or s15 will beat an gen 1 altima, but since you seem to be driving a S13, you will know. I haven't lowered my S13 yet, so Im not sure how different the feel will be, but I know my altima has a decent ride with the DZ. And its a lot better than stock.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by altima/240sx
[B]

, but on a straight away, a stock altima will catch up, and pass an s13.
that's because we have a speed limiter....

a s14 or s15 will beat an gen 1 altima,
an s15 maybe, but that doesn't apply. how do you figure an S14 would beat a gen 1 altima and an s13 wouldn't?