Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

coilovers

Old 12-08-2002, 06:57 PM

coilovers

what do you think of OBX coilovers, i really want to get the groundcontrols but i dont have any $$$$, my questions is wahts the difference betweena ll these, if the ride is a little bumpy then fine but c'mon unless iam missing out on alot of information please let me know...and what are some other good cheap coilovers...
Old 12-08-2002, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

coils

In my opinion, no cheap coilover is good, its CHEAP. As time has said, you get what you pay for, paying $100 for a set of coils is a msitake. Some may not fit right, may not have good strong plates or mounts, can break while driving or become warped. Others begin to sag after a while or don't do what they are supposed to. It's worth going with a company who offers good warranties on their stuff and that the best cars use, such as TEIN, HKS, NISMO, CUSCO, JIC, ABFLUG, etc... trust me, you won't regret it. Don't go for a cheap fix. Save up your money and buy something that is quality, in the end, you will be glad you did.

Night
Old 12-09-2002, 06:15 AM

OBX on vital component x4!! j/k
Definitely true when it comes to getting what you pay for, but I haven't experienced their coilovers. Who knows, they may turn out to be a cheaper and decent alternative. But when it comes to a vital suspension setup, I'd rather pay through the nose for established applications.

I'm still loving my stock suspension, except for that 'rally' wheel gap.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

People can back me up on this. Get the better coils. Shoot I got a begginner set of coilovers and I am happy.

I get strange looks when I tell people I don't bottom out. That is a good benefit of a begginer coil.

Get a begginer not a cheap.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:34 AM

ok ok

aight you have three choices.....

1. you buy the ****y ones....the break, you bottom out...so your ***ed

2.you buy the exspensive ones, get your moneys worth....

3.this isnt smart but i had it done in the beginning.....you find some one with a cutting torch and have them cut a coil or 2 on your springs...but only if you know for the time being your gonna save and buy new ones or a good set of coilovers....
Old 12-09-2002, 12:27 PM

how are ground controls for the time being
Old 12-09-2002, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Jonas...

Hey man, haven't you heard what we are saying??

Ground Control.....another brand that is not true quality.....deal with the gap for now, or find someone to chop your springs....buy an Eibach pro kit if no less, but wait on buying coils till you can afford some decent ones.

Night
Old 12-09-2002, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Re: ok ok

Originally posted by 2-FORTY_TERROR
3.this isnt smart but i had it done in the beginning.....you find some one with a cutting torch and have them cut a coil or 2 on your springs...but only if you know for the time being your gonna save and buy new ones or a good set of coilovers....
We did this to my cousin's car for ****s and giggles. We had drop springs and wanted to screw around with his stock ones.

I would avise against it.

The only time they work right is when the car is parked. Other than that:

torch + springs = nightmare
Old 12-10-2002, 06:16 AM

I dunno how good the OBX coilovers are, I haven't seen them... But the Weapon-R ones are basically just as good as GC... so if OBX is another "quality copy" they'll be fine.

HOWEVER do not forget that with GC you have to use "oem" style shocks. I.E. shocks with compression stroke that is designed to be on a car with stock ride height. If you are looking to go super low, you are gonna be ****ed.

I had kg/mm springs and AGX shocks. The car was SUPER low... but it rode like ****. It bottomed out CONSTANTLY and was a really rough and harsh ride. My springs now are AT LEAST 2x stiffer if not closer to 3 and the car rides MUCH NICER. Why? Proper damping!

My advice that I've given at least 257 times:

1) decide what you want your car to do. Road race? autocross? cruise? drag?
2) decide to what level you want to prepare it ultimately
3) pick parts.

Do not scimp, do not substitute, do not alter the plan. If you can't afford it NOW, wait... you'll be happier later.

I bought a so-so set of coilovers when I was in Japan, and I still want to get new ones. That'll be my 3rd set of suspension. Apex'i N1 Pro here I come!
Old 12-10-2002, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Jonas...

Originally posted by NightXCZ77
Hey man, haven't you heard what we are saying??

Ground Control.....another brand that is not true quality.....deal with the gap for now, or find someone to chop your springs....buy an Eibach pro kit if no less, but wait on buying coils till you can afford some decent ones.

Night
eibach makes the coils and springs for GC..
Old 12-15-2002, 08:10 AM

uh eibach just make the springs... i dunno what you refer to by "coils"... the GC springs are Eibach ERS, available in rates from like 50-5000lbs.in in 25lbs.in increments.

As for GC being low quality, it's not, but you're forced to use OEM replacement shocks which, for the 240 specifically, aren't tuned directly for the springs you may be purchasing. Now you can find stuff that WORKS, but it's still not as good as real coilovers.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:36 AM

Re: coilovers

Originally posted by Jonas
what do you think of OBX coilovers, i really want to get the groundcontrols but i dont have any $$$$, my questions is wahts the difference betweena ll these, if the ride is a little bumpy then fine but c'mon unless iam missing out on alot of information please let me know...and what are some other good cheap coilovers...
first of all, don't even waste money on OBX stuff, they are not worth putting on any car.

second, don't get coil-over sleeves for a 240sx, the 240sx front strut design won't allow you to drop it enough before the shock bottoms out, even if it is ground-control coil-overs (a well respected company) i don't think it is worth the money if you have them and they end up dropping your car as much as lowering springs do,

if i were you, i would save up and get full coil-overs, they are well worth it in the long run, for slamming your car and ride quality,

but if money is an issue, then my advice is to get lowering springs, at least they won't wear your shocks as bad as coil-over sleeves do
Old 12-27-2002, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

why can't you use aftermarket shocks (i.e. kyb agx) w/ ground control sleeves
Old 12-27-2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by spitz7985
why can't you use aftermarket shocks (i.e. kyb agx) w/ ground control sleeves
you can, and there is nothing wrong with that, in fact i have seen lots of people with that setup, but with that setup it isn't too far (price wise) from a set of tein ha's or zeal b's, and the GC w/KYB AGX still uses the front srtut design which still limits you from lowering your car anymore than 2 inches, also i don't think the KYB AGX are a shorten shock
Old 01-10-2003, 08:53 AM

obx coilovers are the apc altezza's of suspesion......
Not to knock apc with all their quality material....sarcasm
Ron