Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

The Drift Button.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

The Drift Button.

The Drift Button.

Alrighty, first of all I wish i had a digital camera - but I don't, so use the pics from J-Spec (http://www.jspec.com/s13spin.html) for a reference

DORI DORI
So I see the infamous "Spin Turn ****" on Ebay for $14 shipped, and I happened to have $14 - so I bought it. 4 days later I get this 6" square box from the friendly brown shorts guy (uh, UPS to those who don't know) and inside - the Drift Button. It's actually less than 1" in diameter, and about an inch long. Feels like aluminum, loks like aluminum - so let's just agree that it's made of aluminum.

INSTALLATION
Taking a look at the aforementioned J-Spec page, the install didn't look hard at all. I went out to the garage and immediately pulled the stock side-brake boot off the side brake. With a couple of flathead screwdrivers I managed to pry the spring tabs out so that they were flush with the side brake assembly (see the pics, you'll understand what I'm talking about). So far so good. I put the rubber boot back on the side brake, and then pushed the Drift Button onto the stock side brake button, went inside, and had a beer.

No it was not that easy. Everything went quick and smooth until I got to the "installing the Drift button onto the stock side brake button" part. The inner diameter of the Drift button was a bit small. I ended up taking a small X-Acto knife to the stock side brake button, slicing small pieces off it so that the diameter would decrease in size. I also had to open up the hole on the rubber boot just a little bit for the Drift button to fit in.

See, the Drift button goes on top AND around the stock side button. It must grab a hold of the stock side brake button, or you won't be able to lock the brake in place when you park! With this in mind, don't shave too much plastic off the stock button when fitting the drift button (did I just say button a million times?)

RESULTS
Well for $14 I can't complain much. The piece itself is nicely machined, and it shines super bright in the sunlight. Functionality-wise, there's not much to say except that it does what it's supposed to do. Push it in, go drift, and it'll never lovk the side brake in the "up" position. Flick it with your thumb when parking, and voila! Regular parking brake again.

The next time I can borrow my friends digital camera, I'll take all the pics for you guys/gals/animals.

Price: $10-25
Old 12-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Awesum raine, ill be adding it to the FAQ...whenever I get that thing done =/
Old 12-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

...so much stuff I'd like to add in that FAQ of yours... but so laxy to type it all
Old 12-11-2003, 04:01 PM

Re: The Drift Button.

Originally posted by l2aine
The Drift Button.

With this in mind, don't shave too much plastic off the stock button when fitting the drift button (did I just say button a million times?)

uh.....huh.....huh....he said Button....that's kool....
Old 12-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

...so much stuff I'd like to add in that FAQ of yours... but so laxy to type it all
if u ever get unlazy, shot me a email. Ill be glad to do a lil research on the topics you want me to add.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
if u ever get unlazy, shot me a email. Ill be glad to do a lil research on the topics you want me to add.
Will do ... will do buddy

As I work on my car, I figure I can write about it, even if it's been done by many, it hasn't necessarily been "explained" eh?
Old 12-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Will do ... will do buddy

As I work on my car, I figure I can write about it, even if it's been done by many, it hasn't necessarily been "explained" eh?
Awesum The more u learn, the more everyone learns
Old 12-28-2003, 03:31 PM

That thing sounds kinda kool! it's funny how sometimes the cheapest things can make a huge difference. The stock boost on my eclipse is 12psi (different turbo so a little higher than a REAL stock eclipse.) I used to use a greddy eo1 electronic boost controller to get to 25 psi. i hated it. i had a friend give me a manual controller and i liked it much more. they cost $30 and it's the most important mod i have on my eclipse. that brake handle thing looks kinda badass!!! i think ill try it out!!! thanx for the writeup!

-chris
Old 12-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

You know it's funny... just the other day I was at Starbucks enjoying a nice cup of coffee... and my girl noticed a group of people standing near my car. So I looked and watched, but they didn't look like they had bad intentions, so whatever. Then my girl goes, "Hun how come they keep looking inside your car?" so we go out and disarm my alarm, and as the siren chirped they all popped their heads up looking to see who was the owner. There were 3 guys, high-school-ish, and as we walked up to the passenger side so I can open the door for my girl, one of the guys goes, "...hey how come your E-brake looks different?" I replied, "...it's a Drift Button." One guy does the "oooOooO" look, the other guy then said, "what's it do?" and the third guy starts explaining something about Drift King, etc.

I actually get more questions about it then I use it
Old 12-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

lol raine, evryone seems to go goo-goo-gaa-gaa over your car
Old 12-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
lol raine, evryone seems to go goo-goo-gaa-gaa over your car
LOL funniest part is, my car is stock outside, with bad paint, holes in my trunk, and that stupid timing chain noise
Old 12-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

lol, but yet everyone chases you and wants to talk to you lol.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

I'm... to sexy for my car... too sexy for my car... ROFL

no seriously - you make it seem like I have fanclub or something. It's just randoms... I'm sure it happens to other 240 guys too...
Old 12-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

Lol well doesnt happen to the fellow member I know of...or maybe they just dont talk bout it. w/e
Old 01-20-2004, 07:43 PM

Would it be possible to fix the srping back into the tabs after installing the "push turn ****"? If the "Drift" button ever gets too loose and breaks it's grip from the normal button, it would be nice knowing you have the ability to put the spring back on the tabs.

Quick Reply: The Drift Button.