Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

1991 240sx how-to build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

I still don't understand the point of the muffler tip...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by shaban
I still don't understand the point of the muffler tip...
Its my car, let me do what i want to it. I'm on a budget. It'll be straight piped down the road. I'm trying to get another friend to help me out with it. so i have 3 people working on it. cause i hate cutting with a hacksaw. its a pain in the ****ing ***.

Like once i start working ill be doing more effective mods. So don't be a dick. And yes i did search to see if you had pointless mods i could make fun of but you have a really nice car. so i can't. hahahahah.

Anyways. I'm doing whatever i want. Its gonna be a daily driver not a hardcore race car.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

My pointless mod is the duct tape holding my center console...

and my car is a piece of crap.
Paint job sucks, wheels suck, brakes need to get bigger, tune is horrible, waste gate snapped, leaking brake fluid somewhere.... you will realize how horrible 240's are once you've laid down $10k + in repairs and upgrades and still have a pos.

=) i still <3 240's
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by shaban
My pointless mod is the duct tape holding my center console...

and my car is a piece of crap.
Paint job sucks, wheels suck, brakes need to get bigger, tune is horrible, waste gate snapped, leaking brake fluid somewhere.... you will realize how horrible 240's are once you've laid down $10k + in repairs and upgrades and still have a pos.

=) i still <3 240's
Well yeah. take that!. hahahahahahahah.

and yeah. I love the car to death. even though it doesnt start, and i sit in the corner and cry about that everynight, i still love it.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

nick get a hanger on the rear of that thing bro, would only cost you about 25-30 to have someone weld it on for you. I cant stomach a sagging muffler.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
nick get a hanger on the rear of that thing bro, would only cost you about 25-30 to have someone weld it on for you. I cant stomach a sagging muffler.
Yeah i was wondering where i could get one.

Can you give me alink or something?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

240s make me cry
Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Umm... go to a muffler shop!! haha.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 240smoke
Umm... go to a muffler shop!! haha.
hahaha. one day.. hahaha
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Alright man, I am going to set you straight here. Listen up. It was a mistake buying your fart cannon. Keep your exaust stock for now because adding the header and larger exhaust basically does nothing besides attract the cops and gets you tickets.

These are a few things you can do to get a little more power out of your car and they are pretty simple.

#1 remove AC. Remove the belt, AC compressor, condensor, and lines.

#2 install cold air intake. This not only adds a little power, it makes the motor sound a little better.

#3 Remove mechanical fan and install electric fan.

Well thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I got rid of the KA and have an SR but you are not worthy yet. You need to get the mindset of a 240 owner. HAHA.

If you do weight reduction, then this will also make your car faster. It raises the power to weight ratio.

Manual Swap Items
--------------------
Manual trans
Manual trans dust cover
Manual trans driveshaft (pay close attention to see if your car has ABS. This is very important)
Manual flywheel bolts. They will have the letters MT on them. the automatic will have AT
Shifter
Shift boot (both boots)
Clutch kit (throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch plate, pilot bearing)
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch hard line
Clutch flexible line (recommend getting the braided SS line, if not you can use the rubber one or you can coil the hard line to make a dampner.
Clutch petal (you will need to drill and knock out the holes in the firewall. you will see them if you look under the dash)
Brake petal (or you can just cut it like I did and put the rubber piece on)
Manual Computer (you can use auto but you need to put a jumper on the Park/Neutral sensor Relay)
You will also need some wire to wire the back up lights and if you want to wire your park/neutral switch to your clutch petal so it doesnt start unless the petal is depressed.

This is about an 8 hour job. I know I listed alot of stuff but make sure you have it all before you start the job. Mine costed about $500 to complete. I have 2 240SXs. One with the KA and the other with the SR. I would not recommend getting an aggressive clutch unless you plan on turbo charging your car. A stock clutch will work. There is about a 500 mile break in period for a clutch. If you do not shift like a grandma, then your clutch will not last very long. After the break in period, have fun. HAHA.

**read alot before hand if you plan to do this yourself.**
Make sure you send your flywheel to get resurfaced.

This is all I can think of right now. I did a couple manual swaps on these cars so I will answer any questions you need.

Thats my 2 cents.

BTW, I have MT bolts at the shop. They are very hard to find. Just let me know if you need them.

Last edited by 240smoke; 02-13-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:16 PM

Alright man, I am going to set you straight here. Listen up. It was a mistake buying your fart cannon. Keep your exaust stock for now because adding the header and larger exhaust basically does nothing besides attract the cops and gets you tickets.

These are a few things you can do to get a little more power out of your car and they are pretty simple.

#1 remove AC. Remove the belt, AC compressor, condensor, and lines.

#2 install cold air intake. This not only adds a little power, it makes the motor sound a little better.

#3 Remove mechanical fan and install electric fan.

Well thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I got rid of the KA and have an SR but you are not worthy yet. You need to get the mindset of a 240 owner. HAHA.

If you do weight reduction, then this will also make your car faster. It raises the power to weight ratio.

Manual Swap Items
--------------------
Manual trans
Manual trans dust cover
Manual trans driveshaft (pay close attention to see if your car has ABS. This is very important)
Manual flywheel bolts. They will have the letters MT on them. the automatic will have AT
Shifter
Shift boot (both boots)
Clutch kit (throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch plate, pilot bearing)
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch hard line
Clutch flexible line (recommend getting the braided SS line, if not you can use the rubber one or you can coil the hard line to make a dampner.
Clutch petal (you will need to drill and knock out the holes in the firewall. you will see them if you look under the dash)
Brake petal (or you can just cut it like I did and put the rubber piece on)
Manual Computer (you can use auto but you need to put a jumper on the Park/Neutral sensor Relay)
You will also need some wire to wire the back up lights and if you want to wire your park/neutral switch to your clutch petal so it doesnt start unless the petal is depressed.

This is about an 8 hour job. I know I listed alot of stuff but make sure you have it all before you start the job. Mine costed about $500 to complete. I have 2 240SXs. One with the KA and the other with the SR. I would not recommend getting an aggressive clutch unless you plan on turbo charging your car. A stock clutch will work. There is about a 500 mile break in period for a clutch. If you do not shift like a grandma, then your clutch will not last very long. After the break in period, have fun. HAHA.

**read alot before hand if you plan to do this yourself.**
Make sure you send your flywheel to get resurfaced.

This is all I can think of right now. I did a couple manual swaps on these cars so I will answer any questions you need.

Thats my 2 cents.

BTW, I have MT bolts at the shop. They are very hard to find. Just let me know if you need them.

Again like i said, Its my car, i'll do what I want, and like, im not ripping the ac out probably, its gonna be DD. so yeah. and about the fan, i was questioning my self, when i order my cold air intake, will that be a problem? like the big case thing for it?

and yeah, im not so sure about the mani swap right now cause moneys mad tight for me, cause my parents arent supporting that swap AT ALL. haha. my moms gonna get the starter for me like this weekend, so it'll start. I'm still trying to sell my bike for some cash for my swap. And yeah i wasn't gonna get an expensive clutch, i was gonna get an OEM one for like 70 bucks, or just get a used one for now. Also, do i need a new center console piece?

And yeah i might be intrested in them bolts if i need them.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
I cant stomach a sagging muffler.
yeah dude...saggy mufflers are like saggy *****.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Die Trying
yeah dude...saggy mufflers are like saggy *****.
uhh i dont like saggy *****. So i want my muffler how i like my ***** nice and perky. hahahahahaha
Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

No, you dont need a new center console. You need to pull yours out though. The automatic piece needs to be taken off. Its 4 screws holding it on. You can get the manual piece that goes in but is not necessary.

I am not telling you what to do, more just suggesting because I have been in your position. Most of us have. We know what it is like to know basically nothing about the car. I am just trying to help you out man. If you get offended at the comments that I make, then I will just stop posting on this thread. If you didnt realize, you forgot to list half the stuff needed for a manual swap. We are not here to judge you. Just to give you good advice about the steps you should take to making your car worthy of a double take.

Before you actually buy a starter, you should take yours off and get it tested. If your car is making a clicking noise when you try to start it, then that means your battery is dead. Maybe your battery is just dead. Which means your alternator might be bad. You can bring your battery, and starter to autozone to get tested to pinpoint the problem.

By the way, if you keep having the (this is my car I will do what I want) attitude, noone will want to help you.

Last edited by 240smoke; 02-13-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:57 AM

No, you dont need a new center console. You need to pull yours out though. The automatic piece needs to be taken off. Its 4 screws holding it on. You can get the manual piece that goes in but is not necessary.

I am not telling you what to do, more just suggesting because I have been in your position. Most of us have. We know what it is like to know basically nothing about the car. I am just trying to help you out man. If you get offended at the comments that I make, then I will just stop posting on this thread. If you didnt realize, you forgot to list half the stuff needed for a manual swap. We are not here to judge you. Just to give you good advice about the steps you should take to making your car worthy of a double take.

Before you actually buy a starter, you should take yours off and get it tested. If your car is making a clicking noise when you try to start it, then that means your battery is dead. Maybe your battery is just dead. Which means your alternator might be bad. You can bring your battery, and starter to autozone to get tested to pinpoint the problem.

By the way, if you keep having the (this is my car I will do what I want) attitude, noone will want to help you.
Well, no only thing that made me say that was you said "im going to set you straight". but im not here to argue and **** so whatever. And yeah im not that retarded, already got my battery tested if you didn't read that in the previous posts, im taking my starter off like this weekend and gonna take it to advanced. either way i have to for the core charge...And yeah i know, like i said i wrote that up as a rough list during a math test because i had nothing to do, i had another thing as manual swap accessories, which is anything i forgot.

The last thing i want is for you to stop posting in my thread, because your giving me advice, And I know a little something about the car. But yeah like i said the last thing I wanna do is be on someones bad side on the forum that i practicly live on. haha.

Quick Reply: 1991 240sx how-to build thread