Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Blackzenki82's Gold Zenki SR build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by BlackZenki82
all ya gotta do is keep on truckin, find little things, like just clean the engine, rebuild stuff, even if it doesn't need it, you'll gain the knowledge and exp from it, and will thank yourself later when said part/object fails, and you already know how to fix it... it's what i do...
Old 12-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

alrighty guys, Friday Dec 5, and i've finally got all my things in the mail... HKS T28 waste gate bracket, Megan Racing SR manifold, and "glowshift" A pillar 3 gauge pod... also today, i got my amp installed (thanks to my buddy bryant for his profession help, he's an installer at an unnamed big box store), sounds okay, but not as strong as i would like it to be.... for his services and his amp, he got my 4-2-1 header and test pipe, and i installed it for him today after he finished with my amp install... really nice work... i also had a chance to help my buddy time on his KA-T project... been kinda busy...

i realized a few things that NEED to be done to my car before it's fully road worthy... as shown in the pics below, the driver side front and rear calipers are leaking (i'll source my perfect ones off the black car), as well as a few vacuum lines that need addressing...

i got all of my turbo parts removed from the stock T25 and ready to transfer onto the garret T28, got everything cleaned up.. and ready for it to go in....

well on with the pics i guess.....

misc turbo stuffs to be transferred, did you know that the KA after cat o2 sensor works perfect on the SR elbow? me either.... same wires, sensor, and coupler.... FTW!! notice the larger HKS T28 bracket? nice...

little *** amp for my components, 300watt 2 chan installed...

Bryant ran all new 18G rockford fosgate wiring (speaker and RCA) and here it is mid process....

here's Bryant hooking it up!!!

here's some shots of the seriously ****ed up SR mani.... i will be returning it ASAP....and i mean like returning it 34236487632 weeks ago... get it outta my sight.... looks like i'll be rocking the OEM mani for a while....
cracks anyone??

some mad tyte yo welds.... UGH!!!

right rear brake leakage....

right front oil leakage.... time to do more work...

PS reservoir properly installed... was down by the wastegate before unbolted... just danglin'

new used PS high pressure line... was cracked open by the crimped part there.. new one from the black car...

YAY for dirty leaking PS fluid... gonna get this slop cleaned up before i get the turbo back in...

all gauges test fitted in the A pillar pod that came in today... NOOOIIIICE

well that's all for now guys... i have my son for the weekend, and will be busy entertaining him.... but Monday is a work day, more pics and updates to come of doing all the work that needs to be done... planning on knocking out the brakes, the sway bar, and getting the gauges fully installed so when my turbo comes on Tuesday, it'll be a plug and play affair... hopefully anyways, you know how these things go..

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 12-05-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

well guys, all aside, today is the day to do more work..... things on the list

Brakes-Caliper replacement, and cross drilled and slotted rotors, Bleeding as well...
Sway Bar-sourced from the SE parts car onto the base
Front body alignment-gotta get the upper bracket on the bumper reinforcement to secure the bumper properly, since the car was previously wrecked, i can foresee some hammering in my near future....
GAUGES!!!!-going to install the 3 pod and 3 gauges in the previous photos, anyone know where the OEM oil pressure sending unit it to T off for the oil press gauge?
Vacuum lines-just replacing old worn ones, inspect for leaks, put clamps on em (previous owner just had em slid on nipples without any kind of clamps)

i'll have pics and everything for those of you who are interested
Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

I kinda hit a deer 2 days ago on my way to my sisters house.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

dude that sucks.....

here's the update... less talk more action this time....

pre "refinished" brembo x drilled and slotted rotors....

replacement driver side fender and bumper support bracket, no dents, just messed up paint....

misaligned front bumper due to shoddy work... not my work either asshats....

car going up for the rotors and calipers off the black car... right rear was blown and leaking, right front leakage was from a bad line, also replaced with part from black car...

my pit crew... my son helping me "resurface" those rotors, just getting the bult of the surface rust off, they'd been sitting at my neighbors house outside for a while....

my son took this pic, calls it "my daddy doing work" lol... i was replacing that leaky line with the good one off the black car...

NEW BRAKES!!!!!

sway bar time.... remind me next time i install a swat bar to drop the exhaust before... what a pain... but finished!! little less body roll for now on...
Before....

after.... lookie at the S14 VLSD... weaksauce, gonna weld the open in the black car...

got the front bumper off to see what kinda can of worms i opened... and it looks like i got this can from SAMS CLUB... it wasn't a family size can, it was a restaurant sized can....

guy had the front bumper attached with some nut and bolt that was rusted solid so i had to pull the whole front off in one piece...

and that's as far as i got today... spent the earlier time pulling the five lug swap for the buyer... that was a pain and took a good while...

i wasn't able to get to the gauges, fender, or reattaching the front bumper cause the bumper reinforcement is way out of whack and the bracket wouldn't fit without modification... looks like i'll have to fab some **** up at my buddy tims house to make this work.... tomorrow is another day, and one full of trying to get this car ready for the turbo... funny how everything on this car is centered around this turbo... oh well...

more updates to come tomorrow when i get more **** done.. so as always, stay tuned!!!!!

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 12-07-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

updates!!!!!

crooked intercooler...

not so crooked intercooler....

and finally... GAUGE WERKZ!!!!
drilling holes, and running the wires/lines...

just a little test fit...

soldering and running power and ground in line so i end up at the end of the "harness" with just one power and ground wire...

getting the "harness" organized...

pre hook up...

post hook up....

some night shots....

thats about all i got knocked out today... i reran some of the vacuum lines for the turbo and GReddy type S BOV, just trying to get things cleaned up... all i got left to do is bleed the brakes, connect the oil press gauge and tap into the o2 sensor for my A/F gauge (fire works YAY!!)... i also got that fender on, hence the burgundy color against the gold... i'll be painting that whenever, not too high on the list right now, but it was a pain to mount for some reason...

more updates tomorrow when my turbo comes in!!!!!! HELLS YEAH!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 PM

thats tight stuff man, good to see ur project goin along so danm fast!
Old 12-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

car port was from pep boys for $299 with a $50 rebate.... the Garret turbo was a hook up from a friend who didn't need it any more, it was sitting in his closet for like 2 years in the original box...

so my internet was kinda fubar over the last day, so i was unable to post an update, so here i am, posting and update.. pics and captions....

so here's the custom/upgraded turbo.. and specs...
TB2804.........*note* this thing spools fast as ****...
GT28 Turbine wheel
10 blade high flow turbine wheel
step gap turbine race wheel
.49 A/R exhaust housing profiled for GT28 turbine wheel and
wide set radial bearings
360* thrust washer
GT28 compressor wheel
GT28 high flow compressor cover and adapter ring for .60 A/R housing
waste gate preloaded for 9lbs boost, and gets there fast!!!
pre assembly, and clocked...

manifold, lines and elbows ran...

this oil line will be the death of me... the kid had the hole stripped, and originally had it held in with JB weld... FAIL!!! fixed with a new longer threaded fitting...

got it bolted in there....

FINISHED!!!!... or not.... intake was a FAIL... had to re do it..

not much clearance

photos taken today, after i fixed the intake i was telling you about... still need to tweek it a bit...
love the fender....

crappy flex pipe and "specter" couplers....

super tight fit... this was a PAIN IN THE *** to get done... but better than it was before, the filter WAS below the sway bar in front of the radiator..

final product....

after job mess... lovely....

new bunk bed/ computer desk i got for my son when he comes over... took me like 2 hours to put this thing together... but i do work...

other than that, all i got left to do is to hook up the oil pressure gauge, already have all the fittings and lines.. just need to T off the factory oild sending unit and it's gooooood, then i have to find my vacuum leak, boost at idle is reading at just over -10psi and my buddy with a SR sez his is around 20-25 at idle... ARG... few other issues, starter (rolling starts for the FTMFW!!). and not to mention, i NEED an oil catch can, i got some serious blow by, and oil spray out the T filter, ugh... more work...

and remember kids, keep doing work lol... stay tuned for more updates tomorrow when i get some of these kinks worked out!!!

oh yeah, i also got my Riken Raptor 225/45/ZR18 tires off the white wheels from the black put on those Racing Hart M5 18's... the old tires was BALD in the back, thanks to the VLSD, they were both bald lol... so got those swapped out too....
Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

well just another quick little update...

car drives awesome, pulls super hard, and rides out like crazy... a few problems though, under heavy boost (7+lbs), i get some serious blow by coming out of the "T" on the valve cover, enough to blow oil out of the breather filter.... also, under heavy boost, i smell coolant, but there's no smoke, no water spots on the ground under the car... no symptoms, i think it may be the Moroso cap sticking, who knows...

to remedy the oil blow by problem, i went and scooped this up...

a nice little Circuit Sports Oil Catch can... hopefully this will alleviate my problems with spraying oil all over the front driver side corner of my motor and exhaust mani... i'll be installing it tomorrow, with pics of course...

crazy stuff... blow by, and smelling coolant, but absolutely no smoke coming from the car...

stay tuned!!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone want to buy a 1995 S14 with a black top SR in it???

well guys i got good news and i got bad news... i'll start with the install pics and captions and end it with the final result after test drive...

Circuit sports oil catch can and hoses....

set up as it was before install using factory oil catch can and a random breather...

after the install....

getting started on oil pressure gauge lines.... turns out i didn't need the "T" fitting as the OEM sending unit wasn't even hooked up... so i just went straight into the block with it....

in da blox...

first start up, still cold with the oil lines in...

interstate cruising....

other things i knocked out was my starter, figured out the problem, it was a loose remote wire on the solenoid, no i just cut off the OEM connector, and used a spade, solved the problem... i also added about 3-4 ground wires (sourced from the black car) and ran those to various points on my engine and frame... end result? awesome, more responsive throttle, brighter gauges, just a better tighter feel to the motor...

now for the bad news... this has got me punching myself in the face... so i get everything installed, and go for my little drive, less than say 5 miles, i boost it up a couple times, get up to like 9.5lbs on one pull... a drive that took me no longer than 10-15 minutes. i get back, still smell the oil smell a bit, as well as a bit of coolant which i think is the radiator. so i pop the hood, check the oil catch can i just put in and it's half full... WTF!!!!! i look at the oil coming out of the outlet hose that i have running into my fender well, and what do i see? is it foamy like a vanilla milkshake? yes it is!!! so i think we all know what that means... but what was weird was that it was foamy on the outside, but in the can was fresh and clear, could it have possibly been foamy cause it was the vapors coming out, and just "airy"???

so yeah, that's where i stand, i haven't had a chance to do a comp test on it, but I'm not sure if i need to anymore... all signs point to a bad motor... but it pulls SO hard... maybe it's something i'm overlooking...

although i do know that the previous owner blew the stock turbo by running to high boost, on a stock tune/injectors... i think he said he got it up to 14-15psi...so he strung it out, got it hot and probably blew the oil rings...

sonofa*****....
Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

so i did the compression test.... how fun, let me tell you guys how this went....

i get the coil pack harness off, great, unscrew the coil packs, pull off Cyl #1 and it is FULL of oil... i cant even see the spark plug, i pull Cyl #2, and i can just see the tip of the spark plug, the rest is submerged in oil.. Cyl #3 and #4 were high and dry... so at this point i'm like holy ****, i can't believe this.... my thereory on the #1 and #2 is the inner gasket went out, because the plugs were nice and sealed... so new gasket set...

on with the compression numbers... Cyl #1 being closest to the radiator, and #4 being closest to firewall...

Cyl#1=180 wet (no choice with oil), so most likely around 160-165
Cyl#2=110 wet (no choice with oil), so most likely around 90
Cyl#3=165 dry, SCORE!!!
Cyl#4=165 dry, WOOT WOOT!!

so as we can all see, Cyl #2 is just about dead in the water... i guess that explains all that excessive blow by i'm getting and high crank case pressure... also might explain why there's coolant in my oil, the ******* who owned this car before me dogged the **** out of it, raped it, and dumped it on me for $3800...

possible 400whp SR rebuild in the cards..... might as well....

possible purchases if i rebuild....
CP pistons
Rocker arm stopppers
ARP head studs
Cosworth head gasket
felpro/mrgasket rebuild kit

opinions?????
Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 PM

My vote would be to rebuild it, that way you can uncover any other flaws that the car may have and then fix it so somthing does not leave you stranded in the future. A 400hp build sounds pretty good

No matter what you do goodluck and keep us posted.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

posted with pics as alaways....
Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 PM

whats up with the speedometer? ur at 0 on the highway, u werent stopped in the center lane hitting 2 step were u?
cuz that would be hilariously boss!

otherwise sucks bout the engine man, hopefuly its just a headgasket an u dont gotta do any machining
Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

update is this, my engine is ****ing shot, i got bad oil ring lands on Cly#2 and needs a complete rebuild or swap... **** this car i'm so pissed.... bout ready to give up on it... all this work i've already got into it... sonofa*****

Quick Reply: Blackzenki82's Gold Zenki SR build thread.