Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Project:StreetSilvia (93 Coupe)

Old 12-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Yeah, I know to stay away from dealerships, I just use them as a refference. I called the big wrecking yard today and all I got after asking for a trunk for a 89-94 240sx was "Sorry we don't have anythign for that car." CLICK. WTF? Are S13s really that rare up here in PA??
Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 PM

Yards don't care. If you call they will guess unless they have a list in front of them. If you call Crazy Ray's around here they will say "I have no idea. Come up and look" or at least give you an idea of what they have.

That tends to be a good thing because I got my buddy his suspension from the junkyard. If I was a few days earlier I coulda had a five lug setup. $80 later he is rolling on Eibachs and AGX's for the last couple months.

Someone you don't know lives around you and probably has a car to part. I just found out there is a kid doing an sr swap down the street from my house. Just gotta find people and source parts or go out and get dirty looking for them.

Don't forget to buy parts in order to. Get it running, etc. then expand from there. I was rambling but you get the idea.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 AM

Looking at my post I guess I wasnt really clear, sorry. The big wrecking yard near me is Harry's U-Pull-It. They are owned by a salvage company called Kress Auto. Anything that hits Harry's lot first goes through Kress to be stripped. Any good body panel ends up in Kress's supply. Yesterday I called Kress, not the yard, to see if they had anything since they keep an invintory of all the parts they strip. Thats why I was so supprised at the reaction I got from them, the "We dont have anything for those cars. CLICK." I mean what kind of customer service is that really?

On a side not when I DID visit Harry's yard, out of 250 imports there were 2 S13s. A stripped pignose, and a stripped Vert. I got my crash bar from the 89-90 and the dash and control stalks from the Vert but I was suppised how rare these cars seem in my area.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:36 AM

UPDATE 19 Dec 2008

The KA is torn down to a block and has been sent to the local engine builder for cleaning, inspection, and measurment. If everything comes back as being in spec the block will be painted before reassembly. I am currently looking at a (pricey) rebuild kit that BigGame showed me but it truly all comes down to cash. My hope is to have the motor assembled, installed and awating tuning by middle of spring.

On a side note the project looks like it will be delayed for a concederable time after the motor is finished. I have not been on the schedule at work for 2 weeks now and the word on the street is that the place may file for bankruptcy(sp?) soon. Being the low guy on the totem pole, my hours are cut first to save money. So until I find a new job, which won't be until spring given the economy in my town, the project will probably stop with the motor unless I get handouts from friends and family.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:17 PM

Sorry to here that man the company I work for are getting ready to announce layoffs after christmas.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 PM

McD's, the mall it you find work...the build will come lol
Old 12-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Evans1109
Sorry to here that man the company I work for are getting ready to announce layoffs after christmas.
Its a part time job so its only supporting my build, I'm lucky enough to live at home while in college. I wish you the best of luck in avoiding the layoffs. It sucks to see people loosing thier jobs. Hopefully this low spot will pass.

Originally Posted by energy0uth
McD's, the mall it you find work...the build will come lol
How 'bout the local general avation (non-commercial) airport They may be hiring after things pick up with the warm weather.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 AM

Ok not gonna make another post so Ill just edit this one.

Current status of the project is this....

The block, main support, and crank were taken out to the local engine builder for cleaning, inspection, and pressure testing. I recieved a call on Monday that the block was checked and ready to be picked up but the were some issues. When I arrieved I was told that the block was fine under the pressure test but that Cylinder 4 seems to have gotten some rough use. The rod journal on #4 needed polising out to removing some burning/scuffing as well as the bore being tapered by about .004". I discussed my plans with him including the maximum boost levels I was going to run on the engine (Mid-High 20s) and we both agreed that it would be better to bore out the cylinders and get them perfect than to try and run them as is. The good news is that the bore and hone on the cyinders is only $18 per cylinder and he is going to match the bores to the forged pistons that I purchase. So the block is waiting for the pistons to come in so machine work can begin, and the crank is off getting the journal polished out.

Now then, I have hit a delay issue. I was originally planning on purchasing the AMS Advanced rebuild kit (Thanks to biggamehit). However my family encouraged me to go out and try to piece the kit together myself and see if I could save anything. Doing so I did find a few ways to save money including getting a discount from Arias pistons since I will be rebuilding this engine in a class at school. The issue is, when I discussed my parts list with the engine builder, he had some very choice words about a few of the brands, specifically the clevite bearings and the Eagle ESP Rods, mainly thier tolerances and residal stresses. So I sent him the list of everything I need as well as a list of all the prices I found, where to buy and I am now waiting for him to come up with his own price and parts list. Once I have the new list I can start ordering parts after comparing it with my list. My faly has known this guy for a long time and he is very trusted in both the local circle track and drag worlds. He built the motors for the top place cars in the SCCA Mustang Challenge for the past 2 years, so he knows his stuff.

As for any other progress on the car, I'm kinda limited due to funds but I plan on cleaning up the engine bay in the next few weeks and once I have the money may start putting carpet back into the interior. This is going to be a long term project until the economy picks back up and I can get hours at work again.

Last edited by Lord Umoja; 01-17-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

............ to put it simple you brought what works for us.

if he has his own choice of parts fine. Point him to KA-T.org and let him see all the successful KA builds. further more.. you said you are not going to "race" the car.. so that even more a reason to go with the parts.

This is one of the reasons why i never consult people much. I hope im not sounding to harsh.. but i hate people who don't really have hands on experience with a certain motor and talks down about them. Being a world class builder of one engine does not really automatically qualify you as a jack of all trades of all engines.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:01 PM

I understand your point man. I nor the builder was talking down about the KA at all. The problems he had were with individual parts, namely the clevite bearings and eagle rods. He has had issues with them in other motors before, so thats why he said something. It's the whole "If you bought a shifter from Company X for your honda, and it broke after a week, would you go buy another shifter from Company X for your 240?" I am making a few lists of parts and then picking those that I want, not just taking his list as gospel.

As for not racing the car or going for big power, the more time goes on the more I think the car will end up seeing some track time, even if its just for test and tune. So if I have the money and the motor apart I think its in my best interest to build up the motor now than blow it later. Hey, even if the rest of the car is a POS and I have to drive on a bucket, atleast my motor will be good.

I do have to thank you for your help, it may not seem like it but you have really given me alot of guidance that soon will translate to progress on my project.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

cool man KA's are getting more and more popular now glad to see your building one you just need more pics lol
Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
cool man KA's are getting more and more popular now glad to see your building one you just need more pics lol
Took some tonight. I need them for reference becuase we are going to remove everything from the engine bay and paint the bay with some black/grey speckle paint. Clean up the engine compartment just like we are cleaning the interior. I am starting to get hours again so the decision comes up, pay $40 for a copy of Watchmen so I can read it before the movie comes out, or do I keep that $40 and put it towards either the turbo kit or new carpeting so the car LOOKS like I'm doing work.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

oh Im sorry i was not just talking about the KA, just in general.

I have seen nothing but good things from Clevits bearings. AMS has a 1000+ hp
KA-T and crazy crazy Evo's.... they know what they are doing. Tolerances for domestic motors cant be compared to IL6-IL4 engines.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 PM

ya ams just won the castrol syntec top shop challenge and they time after time put out some of the best imports here in the states. i would say they know a things or 10 about how to do a motor right.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM

So here is the deal as far as I can figure it out. I discussed the Clevite bearing issue with one of my machining instructors who builds racing motors for his drag cars. There arent really and 4cyl guys around my area, so most of my info comes from V8 guys. I discussed the bearings and rods with him and was told he has never had issues with either clevite bearings nor eagle rods. So I think the engine builder I tookmy block to encountered one set of bad bearings and swore off the product totally.

So here is what I am going to do. I am going to wait for the last list of parts, and make my decisions from there. Once I have a final parts list narrowed down and everything ordered I will make a seperate engine build thread in the proper forum and place all my engine pics and information in there. This waiting game sucks majorly....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project:StreetSilvia (93 Coupe)