Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

SE S13 FB build Running on hopes and dreams and grape drink-Panda Pirates

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Contributing Member

heartbreaker ones i guess.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Ok so I have 2 weeks off, these two weeks I have off will be used to get this car up and running.

Everything is going to plan except that I dont have flywheel to block bolts or pressure plate to flywheel bolts. The guy who I got this car from is shipping me the flywheel so hopefully he remembers to include all of the associated bolts.

Also I only have 7 bell housing bolts. The FSM says there are a total of 9 not including the starter bolts, some writeups say you only need 8, and most others say you only need a total of 4 because the lower engine gussets arent needed and the top two bolts arent needed unless you like to struggle alot. Anyone have any input on this? I mean the gusset bolts make sense because they use nuts and dont go into anything that keep the transmission in place. And I know from other cars the top bolts are usually a huge PITA to get to. Anyone running less tranny bolts than stock?

Also the bolts I have arent labeled so........ gonna be fun....
Old 06-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

yea we didnt label mine either, just put them in as they fit, i think im maybe missing one..duno though
Old 06-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Haha, i probalby only have 3 bell housing bolts and some cracker jack.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:19 PM

So we took off the head today thanks to the help of Jared(ms!3) and John(FD guy). After a long day of running around town getting tools and supplies and random bs that I didnt have, I can say I'm actually pleased with the way things are going so far. Gonna get the head milled, pressure tested, and hot tanked (also going to get the cam shafts checked out, there was a bit of a wear line on the cap of the intake side of one cylinder and the exhaust side of another so I want to make sure they are ok) and hopefully everything checks out. If everything goes to plan I can get the car to the auto hobby shop by monday and have the swap done and the engine in by friday of next week. Wish me luck.....

P.S. I'm pretty sure this was just a blown head gasket. There was coolant buildup on the gasket and a little on the top of the block coolant passages, it also looks like coolant got into the cylinders because of the excess of carbon buildup on the pistons. The cylinder walls look good and the leak down test went well so.... yeah.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

good job and good luck!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:16 PM

are you rebuilding the engine, or just doing a head job?
because if antifreeze was in the crank case, it's likely you will prematurely spin a bearing. Just a thought. Good luck with it anyways.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

a head job sounds like a magical experience.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ayuaddict
lmfao damn that made me giggle
Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 PM

ok snoddy i have now made a "build" thread. so i wont be taking up your precious thread.

azn **** chick says: ieyayayayay iayeyeyeayaya ieeyeeeeeyeiyeyeeei lmao
Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ayuaddict
Oh, but it is.

Tim- LMAO

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to mention I had to tear the bs off of the head and pull the head from the block while it was in the hatch of the car along with a 5 speed tranny, two driveshafts, and all the other bs for my 5 speed swap. I mean it's not impossible or anything but it's not exactly fun. But thats how real men do it so I figured I'd give it a shot.......

Just sayin

Last edited by o.g.darkdrifter; 06-05-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM

Started disconnecting all the wiring, flushed all the fluids, pulled off vacuum, charcoal canister, etc etc. Only got 3 hrs to work on it and I had to do it by my self today..... it sucked pretty bad.... unless I get some good help quick I dont think I can finish the rest of this in 3 days.........

I'll give it my best shot though.

june 12th update- This **** is gay!!! I got help by one person today and he was hung over and slept under the car for most of the time. I did make quite a bit of progress though. Got the engine and tranny out (the auto tranny is a big guh), started disassembling the accessories on the bad engine for the other block, bled alot, lost alot of bolts, and got atf and coolant all over the place. Next is to pull the good block out of the hatch, clean off the surface, mate the head to it, clean off all the old rtv on the other components, uhh uhh the list goes on and on.

BTW Phase2 is the best parts distributor in the history of existance. Hit em up, get parts way cheaper with much better customer service. They just hooked me up B I G T I M E.

Last edited by o.g.darkdrifter; 06-12-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:16 AM

what i tell you shawn. they did me good.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Broke two cam cap bolts.... gotta hit it up with an easy out tommorow ..... (never used an easy out before so I'm gonna practice on the other head just in case).

Didnt get the wiring done, but that will take all of 20 minutes... hopefully.

If the easy out works I can at least get the engine and the tranny mated tommorow, new belts on.... and more randomness. If I can't get this done by Sunday I'm probably going to cry myself to sleep that night.....
Old 06-14-2008, 06:23 PM

Got my wiring done... pretty tight. I'm thinking I'll go tommorow and take pics and make a small write up of my own on this site. Mostly because there is no in detail write up for s13 on this site. I thought the wiring would be the most difficult part for me and it turned out to be very easy. The drilling of the fire wall was the major pain in the *** for me as well as pulling the engine and auto tranny at the same time.

Write up when my ish runs.

BTW the bolts broke the damn drill bit and since I dont want to mess up my good head I'm just going to take it to a machine shop....... again...... the whole long block

Last edited by o.g.darkdrifter; 06-14-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: SE S13 FB build Running on hopes and dreams and grape drink-Panda Pirates