Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

window tinting......

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:46 PM

window tinting......

called around a few spots today, prices ranged from 110 to 190.

is there any reason spots charge a lot more? do i need to be worried about quality or is tinting really the same no matter where i go?

some spots offered lifetime warranties, but do i need to be concerned about that? i figure by the time it scratches or cracks or whatever, i wont even be living in the same spot anyways.

also, most spots said there were just 4 levels of darkness, limo, dark, etc. but when reading online, people talk about percentages. so what should i do about that? just get what they call "dark" or find a spot that deals with the percentages?

any other advice about finding a spot to do the tinting?

thanks
Old 03-25-2006, 09:29 PM

righto, here is my advice since i got mine done. Problem with mine is it started bubbling. Im going to go back and raise hell. But anyways there are different kinds 5% darkest, 25% lighter 35% lighter and like 10% and then your stock something like that. 5% all around on my car driver and pass was like 25% or w/e just go in and take a look at the samples they have. Make sure you get to look at their previous work. More money usually means better quality but make sure they use a good brand of tint. Sunbeam or w/e is great i have it im happy exept for the little bubbles in my car. Its not that noticiable but is guarantteed. IF a shop does have lifetime then it shouldnt matter what shop(if its a chain of them) it should be okay just keep a recept and make sure its all 100% written down defects blah blah. GL dude
Old 03-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

^ 2.5 is the darkest... goodl luck finding it though
Old 03-26-2006, 12:58 AM

from the choices i had it was 5% limo tint cant really see going darker it dunt matter other than for me at least.. its a bit hard to see out the back at night time. Also make sure you get something that dunt purple it will look like *** as you sure have seen before. If you know how to do it im sure you can pick up a kit yourself but i personally dont want to risk any bubbles on a car so i decided to get it done. 5% is dark enough, its also keeps out the heat well. I found out recently when it was hot here (one day) it was nice and warm outside but about room temp inside was nice.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:53 PM

you can find the 2.5% at Gila Films

don't forget, that in most places, they do have a limit on how dark you can go. I think in Texas 20% is the darkest you can have! I KNOW IT SUCKS A$$!!!!!!!!!

I will be tinting mine soon with Gila Films Anti-Scratch tint.

hatch window --- 20%
quarter windows --- 5%
Door windows --- 35%
Old 03-29-2006, 06:31 PM

When i first did my windows on my s14, i went 5% all the way around, but then i found out that 5% on the front windows were way to dark at night to see anything......so i went back and got 35% on the two front windows and stayed with the 5% on all the others and i have a 5% front window strip to keep the dang sun out of my eyes
Old 03-29-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Waynehead05
^ 2.5 is the darkest... goodl luck finding it though

Ive heard that there is a guy around here that does something crazy like 1.25 or something like that.. He basically just doubled up the 2.5..

But personally I dont see a difference between 5, 2.5 and 1.25 (or whatever) honestly
Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 PM

Question

Originally Posted by illipse

is there any reason spots charge a lot more? do i need to be worried about quality or is tinting really the same no matter where i go?

some spots offered lifetime warranties, but do i need to be concerned about that? i figure by the time it scratches or cracks or whatever, i wont even be living in the same spot anyways.

also, most spots said there were just 4 levels of darkness, limo, dark, etc. but when reading online, people talk about percentages. so what should i do about that? just get what they call "dark" or find a spot that deals with the percentages?

any other advice about finding a spot to do the colored window tint?

thanks
are you done finding a spot to do tinting? im looking for the window tint but didn't know where to find one. any help will do thanks a lot.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Question

Originally Posted by illipse

any other advice about finding a spot to do the colored window tint?

thanks
are you done finding a spot for the tinting? i am worried for finding one too hoping you could help me on this since i know and im sure that youre done with this. thanks a lot.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member

welcome to 2006.............

oh a side note i need **** too
Old 06-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Contributing Member

LOL oops Tints... well **** would be nice too
Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 PM

You can really make your own shade with doubling tint.. My friend's read .5% on the meter haha. I had 5% all around on my truck and it was awesome but I got 2 tickets for it. I don't think CA has a limit on tint. I have 20% on my passenger and driver windows and 5% on the quarter ones. And none on the rear because I like being able to see when I back up. The only way you will get purple tint is if you had them tinted with an ammonia based product,Professional shops won't do that. Unless you buy purple tint. I do all my windows myself and save a lot of money. If you have the time and patience I would learn how to. It's better paying 20 for a tint job compared to 400 at shops I have seen.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 PM

I spent 3 years working in a shop that did (does) window tint. It's simple, some shops charge more then others for a handful of reasons.

- Better window tinter, better the tinter the less dirt you have in the final product and less of a chance it will peel
- Higher quality tint film. Not all film is made the same, some are better then others
- Warrenty or no warrenty. Some shops don't offer a warrenty against fading, purpling, bubbles, etc...some offer a life time. That is what you should go for.
- Computer cut tint is cheaper, but, on any older car you'll notice the windows and seals aren't up to 100% factory spec so the computer cut tint tends to leave light gaps
- Maybe they just think they are awesome, or your are paying for the shop name. Couple of shops around here charge more then the one I worked at and produced sub part results, just the way it goes.

Always find out which brand of winow tint they are using. If you haven't heard of the brand, might just be poop tint, you know the kind that doesn't sit right, changes colour and not worth spending your money on...