Stock SR wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 AM

Stock SR wont start

a few months ago i was having problems starting my car (it wasnt turning over), so i came on the forums to try to figure it out.
after some reading i figured it was my MAF having problems, so i pulled the maf off then started the car, then put the maf back on and it started fine.

before i tell what happened this morning... the past month the car has acted strangely in other ways... its running alot richer than usual (esp. with a cold engine but thats a given), its hitting 10.5 on my afr between shifts, and its not really swinging back and forth during cruise, its sitting at a low 13 and sometimes high 12. maybe its the cold air, maybe its something else?
anyway...

this time around,-edit-... the car started finey this morning, and i went in the house and let it idle and when i got back it had stalled. so i tried to start it again and the car turns over instantly (it smells of gas even in my car) but it dies right away. i tried pulling the maf off but it wont start like that either, so its probly not that right?

any help would be great, cause im supposed to be at work right now

Last edited by bcjunglist; 12-02-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 12-02-2009, 08:35 PM

ok i went out to try to cold start it tonite, and it started easily.
as soon as i was sure it would stay idling, i ran to grab an ice scraper cause it frosted tonite...
wen i went, it tried to stall for like 10 seconds, but kicked itself back in.
i went to sit in the car to rev it a bit, like up to 2k ant it was running rich like usual, between 10 and 13..... then as soon as it warmed up, it started leaning out FAST, and as soon as it held a solid 15+, i turned it off right away.

so im thinking when it warms up, its leaning out and stalling.
what could be the cause of this? timing issue?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

could be a couple things imo i think you maf is bad already but the starting issue can also be the Crank Angle Sensor.

my SR was fine but then i crashed my car and let my motor sit in my shed for almost 2 years i popped it inmy new shell and i would always have trouble starting it, i adjusted the CAS and got it to start every time, then i installed my cams and i set the CAS to factory postion and it starts perfect every time.

heres how to do it, its very simple and dosnt cost anything.... well a valve cover gasket if you need one lol.

Name:  cas_install.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  85.1 KB

edit: that is for a s14 SR but dont worry its exactly the same procedure for a s13 SR i have a s13 SR. oh an i still think your MAF is also bad but there is a way to test that with a DMM

Last edited by battosaii930; 12-03-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 PM

thanks for the help. thats what i was thinking too, although i dno about the CAS, cause it starts up absolutely no problem when cold.... although even when i pull the maf off i still cant start it, thats what is bothering me... cause it should still start without it but just run very rich, right?

anyway most people in other forums are saying mab maf too so thats sorta the direction im going. thanks battosai
Old 12-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bcjunglist
thanks for the help. thats what i was thinking too, although i dno about the CAS, cause it starts up absolutely no problem when cold.... although even when i pull the maf off i still cant start it, thats what is bothering me... cause it should still start without it but just run very rich, right?

anyway most people in other forums are saying mab maf too so thats sorta the direction im going. thanks battosai
well mine would start perfect when hot but not when cold lol, CAS controls ignition timing and if its not set properly it can give u weird symptoms