Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Brakes always screwed.. Why?

Old 04-24-2003, 04:38 PM

Brakes always screwed.. Why?

I just got 2 new front rotors (cuz they were beyond resurfacing) and 4 new pads not too long ago, and the problem is back again. Car shakes and pulsates and shakes badly at all speeds and the brakes squeal and have a scratching sound. Now i have to go get my rotors turned already which im doing tomorrow.
But why the hell does the problem keep coming back?
Could it be something wrong w/ my suspension parts or something? BTW i had to get my right front susp. parts (like control arm, etc.) replaced and the frame pulled (i know, its all bad). (Spun out and hit a curb last year)

Last edited by StickyIcky; 04-24-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:41 PM
Regulate

Man, I wish I could answer your question, but I'm experiencing similar problems. It's not as bad as yours seems though. i just changed my front brake pads, and they were fine for a while, but then all of a sudden they started making that scratching sound when I step on the brake lightly. When I push it all the way down, the noise disappears. My front right rotor is has a deep scratch in it, but I don't really have the funds to get a new one. I'm not sure if it could be resurfaced.

So yeah, I hope you get your problem fixed cuz I feel ya. Hearing those scraping brakes makes me cringe.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

You said the car shakes but didn't mention that it only happens when braking. Is that so?

I would check the balencing on your tires. Check your steering rack as well.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

mine does the same... i have all 4 pads changed within 2 weeks... a new brake master cylinder .... i have heard it might be the tie rods that make it shake... mine only shakes when i brake at higher than normal speeds ( 60-80 ).... i need to replace those... u should look into those
Old 04-26-2003, 12:42 AM

Hmm, steering rack... something might be wrong w/ that. And oh yeah, it only shakes when braking. I guess i didnt exactly say so, but yeah. Well i got the 2 front rotors resurfaced today. Seems fine so far. Much smoother. If it happens again soon i will be soo pissed. I should be spending my money more on "fixing up" my car, not fixing it all the time.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Do you wash your car often? I know you can warp a rotor if you wash it right after driving it. The rotors are still hot and do not like to be rapidly cooled. Many people soak their rotors down and are amazed by the steam that comes off of them when they hit the wheels with water. That steam is ruining their rotors.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:45 AM

Actually i was thinking and wondering about that! I had a feeling it wasnt good to spray the wheels and get hot brakes all wet. But i kinda didnt think it mattered. Yeah, i do wash it, and especially with my rims, my brakes are exposed majorly. see? Thanks for the closure. i'll make sure there cool before i go sprayin.