Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Coilovers making numerous clunks while turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Coilovers making numerous clunks while turning

I bought a set of F2 coilovers about four months ago, and up until now everything has been great. About two weeks ago my front driver side coilover started making clunking/loud tapping noises while driving. The noise is most obvious and easy to hear when making slow sharp turns, such as pulling out of a parking space. I have already checked for spring binding and the spring turns with the coilover perfectly fine. Also, I have checked the spring preload and have made sure that the top nut was tight. My front sway bar is not installed right now so the sound can't be from the endlinks either. I recorded an audio clip of the noise. In the clip, I have the front end of the car jacked up and I am just grabbing the front driver side wheel and turning it from lock to lock a couple times. Also, the sound seems to be coming from the camber plate area, but I have sprayed lubricant onto the pillowball bearing and that doesn't seem to be helping. I am starting to think that the pillowball bearing is defective. I think I am going to have to take my coilovers apart and inspect the pillowball bearing, but I just want to know what you guys think first. Thanks.

Here is the audio clip... http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...loverClunk.mp4

Last edited by Inferno; 07-26-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

nope google coilover spring silencer sleeve

Name:  sr.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  13.7 KB

you have to add that to the bottom and top and you will have no more issues. they are made of teflon.. the good ones are.. and require no lube.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
nope google coilover spring silencer sleeve

you have to add that to the bottom and top and you will have no more issues. they are made of teflon.. the good ones are.. and require no lube.
Aren't those silencers used to prevent coil slap? I don't think I could get coil slap when I turn the wheels with the front end of the car jacked up.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

no not slap... these go on the bottom and top of spring.. the spring rotates when you turn the wheel.