Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

First Upgrade: Coilovers

Old 02-17-2006, 06:33 PM

First Upgrade: Coilovers

Ok, I just got a 240 a few monthsback and have been researching what I want to do, and I have decided to do suspension first. However I want to do it right the first time, so I havesome questions. I plan buliding a car that has 300whp, some drifitng and autox, probably never drag. So I was thinking coilovers will be my first purchase. I have read reviews on everyhting from ebay's to silks, and I was thinking seriously about the megans, does anyone have any bad feedback on those? I know for 300$ more I can get some silks, but is there a HUGE diffrence for a beginner? I guess im asking I will notice why one is better than the other, cause at 900$ the megans seem like a steal!. What other suspension goodies should be replaced while im down there? Rucas? Ties? anything else that would be easy to do with ther shock/springs removed?..

I figured the s13 is fun to drive stock, even more fun wit ha good suspension, and insane with power adders. I want to start supension first, some decent lightwieght rims, and then go turbo...Maybe a gt28 or somthing similar..

Any other suggestions with the suspension would be great!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Megans is a good company, they're comin' on up!

KTS coils are good too..

www.splparts.com and buy the whole suspension setup!

You'll be set for a while.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

My bro has some megans on his s13 and i think they ride very good for how much they are i really cant find anything to complain about, but after all ive never ridden in a car with high class coils. umm id say while your down there puttin the coils on throw some sway bars on and some subframe spacers PS: you can get the megans at jspec for i beleive 700 or 800 i dont remember
Old 02-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Contributing Member

megans are pretty good, im personally getting KTS, it will probably be a good idea to buy RUCAs and install them while your down there...as you need to take your coilovers out again if you get them later,

oh...and larger diameter anti-roll bars will make a larger impact on handling than any other single mod
Old 02-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU CAN'T TAKE CRITICISM, DO NOT READ THIS POST.

Megan's suck. But who cares, they're cheaper and everyone who buys them can say "I got coilovers".

BTW A lot of times you can't "do it right the first time" - you work your way to what becomes "right" to you and your driving style. "Doing it right the first time" would mean to build a full-on track car with so many adjustments in suspension and engine that you'll never learn because you won't know what each change does.

Get some AGX's and Pro-Kits or Swifts, and learn how to use dampening control first... or just pretend I don't know **** about 240's and get the cheapo Megans. Yay, you got coilovers.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:16 AM

i would NOT recommend RUCAs if you have not messed with your suspension. RUCAs can be a pain the *** to get right. mulitple that with coilovers and it is hard than **** to get everything set up right. start small!!
Old 02-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Contributing Member

RUCA very easy install and setup.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:03 AM

spend the extra money

if you're paying 900 for megan just save up a little more and get the Apexi exv dampers or save up more money and get some HKS hipermax d2 mine are great a little harsh on the bumpy roads because of the 12 front 10 rear spring rates but it was alot worse before i realized that it had an adjustable spring tension perch also, so now im a little more comfortable. But you ever have the feeling your bodykit hates your suspension?
Attached Thumbnails First Upgrade: Coilovers-dsc00696.jpg  

Last edited by racesynergy; 02-19-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

you can get megans for 800 shipped from jspec.com
Old 02-19-2006, 06:27 PM

As for taking critisism im pretty good, and I guess I forgot a bit of info. I have been doing this some time on a fwd Mx-3 1.6b6t turbo. However it was my first car to mess with and I learned a bunch about motors but very little about suspension. I did get some ford racing zx2 struts and modified them to fit and then some eibachs to match, installed it myself and they lasted almost 3 years in the snow, what fun that was.

However I know drifiting is a diffrent ball game. I guess I know the leg work but havent had the oppourtunity to deal with a fully custimizable suspension yet, so I want to start with coilovers but not drop 1800$ because I wont know the damn diffrence.

Think I might just go with the megans. Zilvia.net has a great deal on silks but 1400$ is still up there right now.

Thanks for the input, and critisism, forgot you have to prove youself before the OG boardmembers get a twitch in their eye.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

i would highly suggest KTS coilovers, my good friend just got his in. come with 8/6 spring rates, monotube all that good sh*t... but most important, you can rebuild them right in the us. KTS will send you a full set of shocks for around ~$600 and you just switch over to the new ones.

other ones i would suggest, but i haven't heard a whole lot about yet, is STANCE coilovers (enjukuracing.com) They come with both 8/6 and 9/7 springs included, very similiar design to the KTS's. I dont know if they can be rebuilt in the us though
Old 02-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

i would recomend getting stance ive heard nothing but good stuff about them, but i also know personally the megans feel good exspecially on your pocket
Old 02-20-2006, 02:05 AM

stance/touge factory seem pretty good, early next month I'll be ordering coilovers and they're on of the sets that I am looking at...