Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

help w/ suspension install

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 04:51 PM

help w/ suspension install

So last night I installed my KYB AGX adjustable shocks/struts & Tein S-Tech springs on my 93 fb, start driving it out of my garage, and as soon as i get to the dropoff from my driving to the street, i hear a loud sound from the rear, both sides.

so I pull it back into the garage, hop into the back and bounce a little, and see the strut(where the top nut goes on), moving up and down... Long story short I forgot to put on one of the old bushings. Put that on, and it *seems* fine, just driving around my neighborhood(no major bumps).

Then today I start heading into town where the roads get kinda bad, and as soon as i hit a few hard bumps(even going slow), i hear the same sound. but now it is only on big bumps(ie. railroads..) but even if I bounce in the back of the car, they dont move up and down.

Now what could cause that? I had a friend take apart the original rear strut/spring assembly and of course, didnt pay attention to what bushing went where, so i kinda guessed on how they went on. Here is what i have:

nut
metal washer
main plate
big rubber spring pad
small rubber bushing, about an inch in diameter, 3/4 in high
bigger rubber bushing(star like, w/ the cutouts)
metal cap
main bushing that sits on the support on the strut

Does that sound right? This is really frustrating, I have taken them off probably 5 times to try different things, nothing being sucessful yet. and it doesnt sound like it is good for the strut.

Thanks

ps. what are good rates to use for this setup? right now I have 3/4 in the front, and 5/8 in the back.

Last edited by bimmian; 10-02-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:53 PM

Fixed it, had one bushing in wrong place. Correct order is:

nut
washer
small rubber bushing
plate
doughnut bushing
star
metal plate
boot
Old 10-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Re: help w/ suspension install

Originally posted by bimmian
what are good rates to use for this setup? right now I have 3/4 in the front, and 5/8 in the back.
With the exact same setup, my friend runs 4fr/8rr all the time, and it works good in the mountains