Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Springs VS. Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:36 AM

Springs VS. Coilovers

OK so this is a big issue i think. Everyone on this site is all about the slammed coilover but the problem of all the other people who DON"T have coils is obviously the price. Now I really want to get low, and I really want coils, but i work for minimum wage here guys so I'm on a big budget. Am I right that if you get lowering springs, you NEED better shocks, since the stockers wont be able to keep up with the increased spring rate of the springs so the ride would be crap. And then I would be spending about 400 for Megan springs, and Tokico shocks/struts. I know I know, Megan coils are only 800, but is it really worth it? Are they that good? I was planning on going with the tien FLEX coilovers eventually, but those are like 1300. So what do you guys recommend? Will I bee happy with the Megans, or do you think I will buy those and then spend even more money on the Tien's? I know this is a big issue on here so lets here it! Whats your advice??
Old 03-29-2007, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

DONT GET TOCKICO HP BLUE.. them ****s blew on me in 1month with a couple nights of drifting.....

one of the best spring combos i have driven is AGX adjustable with Ebiach springs...

bro ill post alot more im running late for work................... ha bye
Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

i say you should save a little longer and do it right. Get coilovers.
I think megans are pretty good, i drive on them and im not disappointed at all. They feel and handle great, also have a very wide range of dampening. Good adjustably for ride hight, i still have almost 2 inches of thread left, and all the collers. They are better than any spring and shock combo IMO. Get coilovers, you wont regret it.

Last edited by zenkislider; 03-29-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 AM

Dang then if those tokico's suck i might as well get coilovers since the Koni's would bump the costup to like 600 or something. How much are those AGX? I have never seen them before. I know I wont regret getting coilovers, I'm just wondering if the Megans are good enough quality since they are so inexpensive. I'm just gonna cut my springs and be happy with that, yeah? Haha just kidding.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 AM

Here's my opinion on the subject. If you can warrant the purchase of coilovers with tracking your car, and adjusting them correctly for your application, and don't mind harsher ride quality go for it. If the car is only going to be a street car and never see the track, or if tracking the car is only a once a year thing for you, I'd go with a spring and shock combo. If you are not going to fully use them for what they are made for, in my opinion, they are a waste of money.

If you would go with a spring and shock combo, I would highly suggest upgrading your shocks as well, due to the stock one not being made to support much of a drop at all. If I were upgrading shocks, I would look into Koni Yellows. They are short stroke and should handle a drop better than others. Other shocks you may want to look into are the KYB AGX's, they aren't made to handle a dramatic drop, but are way better than stock and are adjustable.

If coilovers is what you're looking for, price will be a big determining factor. Megan Racing coils are relatively cheap, and I have heard great things about them. Personally, I would stay away from Tein as I am not a fan of their products at all, but that is just my opinion from information that I have gathered. Other coils you may want to look into are the KTS from SPLparts.com, they are relatively cheap, and are super easy to get serviced through Kuah at SPL. I'd also look into Stance from touguefactory.com, which is more than likely what I will be purchasing in the near future. They are relatively inexpensive as well and are pretty sturdy coils.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

megans arent cheap, there just as exspensive as kts and stance, about 1100$! companys just decided to sell megans alot cheaper, thats why they cant be advertised. There selling them to cheap.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 AM

M.S.R.P. on most products is higher than what they are actually sold for. They may sell for a little under M.A.P., but that is what competition in retail is. Companies say "Prices too low to advertise", does not mean that they can't go a little lower to compete with other companies, most retailers do it, not just with Megan's.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

well Bryan said most of what i was going to say in respects to track...
as far as tein................ tein basics are nothing to kill over but the higher discontinued HE's still float around and the other brands that feature EDFC ( electronic dampening force control) are awesome for quick adjustments while auto-xing and drifting

if you are just looking for something that handles better than stock and also lowers the cars center of gravity. you can have a nice set of coilovers for about 700 to 800 dollars bro.

now if you want to get into spring rates, custom valve jobs etc, you will have to go with a companys such as JIC that will allow you to select that. once you enter that phase, the price will began to climb..

bottom line with the advancement in engineering. there are so many other brands of suspension setups available by many more companies other than Tein for example

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-29-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

i know this has been answered, but where are some sites to get your cheap basic coilovers? (ie. megans, kts,stance) and i have heard some bad things about ksport, (i think it was that.)
Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 AM

KTS coilovers can be purchased from SPLparts.com, or directly from KTS for slightly cheaper. If you do order through KTS however, you will lose the excellent customer service that Kuah at SPL offers and I doubt you will be able to get them rebuilt through SPL either, which makes it worth spending slightly more. Stance coilovers can be purchased directly through Tougefactory.com, or STANCEsus.com, Enjuku Racing is also a dealer for Stance coils. For Megan's, you can pretty much go anywhere, Enjukuracing.com, Phase2motortrend.com, Turbo240.com.

Last edited by Bryan; 03-29-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

Bryan knows wasup.

KTS or Stance are greatest bang for the buck.
megan is cool.
im hearing better things about k-sports but i wouldnt recomend it.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

yea man, just take your time bro.. save.. if i would have used my brain i could have got some new D2 coilovers for 600 from my buddy who is a dealer....... but i spent 700 on some JIC coilovers from eBay and one was slightly blown. the owner told me one looked shady so he was very up front i was just tired of my wheel gap. even with my knowledge level of building, i still made a bone head mistake.

luckily i can get them re-valved at JIC in California
Old 03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

i hear D2s are complete garbage.

well. from what i understand the main problem is the springs they use which corrode and also start to sag over time, which would be pretty bad considering that would affect spring rate and all four corners would be different. however, the actual strut assembly isnt too bad. and springs are not too expensive, but i would prefer getting a complete package of good stuff, personally, and thats why i bought KTS.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

yea it was affordable and for extra money they can perform custom valve jobs and you can pick between spring rates.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-29-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Yeah I am definitely starting to sway towards the coilovers, since getting a good spring/shock combo will cost me around 600 anyway, i might as well save up the extra. I mean how bad is lookinf like a 4X4 just for a couple extra weeks? haha. Thanks alot guys you helped me out for sure. BTW vividracing.com has Stance coilovers. They look pretty sexy. Oh and one more thing, since I do plan on tracking my car as much as i can afford in the future, but its still gonna be a DD, would you recommend the Megan street or track coilovers? I think the track ones might be a little too harsh for a DD maybe.

Quick Reply: Springs VS. Coilovers