Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Springs VS. Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

how are your roads around you?

its not really the coilover being harsh on you,, its the roads that will kill your coilovers.. becuase the dampening rate is set ( which you can change) as it is, they will not give to the road the same way that your moms minivan does.

at a track or racing prepped surface its generally even, unless you are going to rally lol" one blow from a city street pot hole could ruin your night.. i am from Baltimore city and when i go home, i cant go beyond 30mph in fear of a total blow out. now on the highway i breeze.

also the spring rates are different between the two. and that what makes your ride really feel soft or hard to the driver.

i would just go to megan site and check out the difference then make your guy choice.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-29-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

the streets (8k, 6k) will provide a more enjoyable ride and handle better on rougher roads such as mountain passes. i believe the only difference is the spring rate (tracks come with 12k, 10k), not sure so if somebody could verify this it would be great.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

^^right on

Track series

- Spring Rates: 12kg Front and 10kg Rear
- 32 Levels of Adjustable Damper Strength
- Pillow Ball Upper Mounts w/ Adjustable Camber.
- Rubber Dust Covers.
- Wide-Range Adjustable Ride Height
- Competition Spring Rates
- Single-Cylinder Design
- Aluminum Brackets

32 Levels of Adjustment:

1-8: Suggested for track use.
9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use.
17-32: Suggested for common street use.

Street Series

- Spring Rates: 8kg Front and 6kg Rear
- 32 Levels of Adjustable Damper
- Pillow Ball Upper Mounts.
- Rubber Dust Covers.
- Adjustable Ride Height
- Aggressive Spring Rates
- Single-Cylinder Design
- Aluminum Brackets

32 Levels of Adjustment:

1-8: Suggested for track use.
9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use.
17-32: Suggested for common street use.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-29-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:45 PM

yeah for sure i think the roads down here are pretty good, since its a developing city, but then again some of the roads are gonna still be pretty nasty so i guess i would have to just be a little extra careful with the tracks if i were to get em. Man this is getting me all anxious to slam it, even though its still gonna be awhile till i can save up the money to afford the coils. I WANNA GET LOW!!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

yea man, i had drop zone springs for about the first 3 years of owner ship lol while in college.. at one point i cut the springs, so i was high for a while.

just don't rush your decision and do it right the first time around.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

i wouldnt waste money on spings unless you dont plan on getting coils and buy struts that can go along with the springs. haha rock the coils no matter how bad your roads are. people can go around you over railroad tracks, speedbumps, pot holes,ect.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Personally i would never buy something i couldn't put to use. If my car didn't see the track more than a few hours out of the year i wouldn't consider buying coilovers. if all you want to do is slam your car, get hydraulics, or cut the springs and live with blown shocks. In addition, too many people just buy coilovers and expect to be done upgrading/replacing suspension components. With coilovers you need to replace your ball joints, tie rod endlinks, and control arms if you plan on lowering your car, as it puts alot of stress on these components which are probably already really worn. In reality if you don't have the use for coilovers then i wouldn't get them.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

good point Spence. I think most people would be fine with shock/springs if they are looking for a ride height drop.
Personally i would go with just basic entry level coilovers. That way you recieve A) a stiffer ride B) adjustable ride height C) a little more fun when you do some spirited driving.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
DONT GET TOCKICO HP BLUE.. them ****s blew on me in 1month with a couple nights of drifting.....

one of the best spring combos i have driven is AGX adjustable with Ebiach springs...

bro ill post alot more im running late for work................... ha bye
Tokico blues ARE JUNK!!!!!!

but that doesnt mean all shocks are.

Tokico D specs , Tokico Illumina's , KYB AGX's and some other high end shocks that are used by race teams.

but be careful with what spring you match with your shocks.

KYB AGX's are blow happy if paired with a spring that has a spring rate higher then 3.5

as far as springs , Swift springs are the best on the market , But a little pricey. I priced KYB AGX's with Swift springs at $940 shipped.

its all personal prefference.

I didnt want to deal with matching springs w/ shocks , nor did i want coilovers with 32 way adjustability.

So i opted for Tanabe Sustec S-OC Type II's ($750) wich are 8kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear and ride height adjustable only.

how come im not a mod yet??...J/K
Old 03-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

yea i ment to say that not all tokicos are bad.. those hp;s are just entry level

good points spence
Old 03-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

Very informative thread, I've never considered getting coilovers until lately but after reading this thread, I don't think I need them for what I do with the car. If I got them now I would just be jumping on the bandwagon. Thanks!

Runnin' KYB AGX's with KG/MM Supersports
Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ayuaddict
Bryan knows wasup.

im hearing better things about k-sports but i wouldnt recommend it.
only thing i have to complain about k sport is the dampening. they dont click, its like a cap 2 full turns is the difference between hardest and softest so its like impossible to get them all exactly the same. you measure by 1/4 of a turn on this ne 1/4 of a turn on this one.

i just dont like it idk. i had to do that.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:01 AM

Well I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon getting coilovers. I'm planning on tracking my car very frequently so I'm gonna need them. And yes I realize that I will be upgrading alot of my suspension components along with the coilovers. I'm definitely gonna do it right, no shortcuts.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 AM

you dont need coilover to "track" your car.

you do know that Porsche cup race cars use shock/spring combo right?

this guy i know save a good chunk of $$ buy buying a decent spring/shock combo instead of coilovers and spent the rest on track time.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 PM

Well yeah i know i don't NEED them but they help. Im just gonna go with the coilovers because a good spring shock combo is still gonna cost almost as much as coilovers and they still wont compare to the coilovers. and i'm not driving a porshe, i have a 240SX.

Quick Reply: Springs VS. Coilovers