Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:51 AM

Tire recommendations

I currently have Volk TE-37s, Le-mans in the front, the rears a BFG, but problem is...there to big, rub against the wheel well, and I have no clue on what tires to get, Im looking for smething lo-pro style, along with track traction, nothing to pricey though, I have no clue on what the sizes of my tires i have on now are, cause I dont have it with me(in the storage), and I need a good set(for the rears), I have no clue on where to go about getting the right tire sizes, but if anyone on this board has a prime example, maybe a good pic, and size for 17's, and the grip and traction of a good tire would be great. I could search alittle more, but I am in a rush. mny car is mostly for drag, but occasonally driven on the streets(to the track), the rears are what i am looknig for. They are too wide rubbing, I believe the tires itself are like 9.5in wide which causes a problem wheel well wise. Anywho.....Any suggestions on what tires to get, and where to order them from. I am still confused on whaat tire sizes are and what the numbers read, I saw a lexus with low pros, 245/?/17, but then i look at my friends car and it is 245/40/17 and they are nowhere near to lo-pros.

I guess my question is, I need to know what tires are good for traction, and good for wheel well space. Delete if you please, i am in a rush, and need tires... but anyhelp would be great
Thank you
SRWHAT
Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

well what size are you running right now?
what size are your rims?

Last edited by re037; 07-20-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 AM

rims are 17x8, front have 225/40 or 45 in front rears are jsut too wide. I dont plan on have a$$in the money for he tires I just need to know what size is recommended, and where to get them...wheere i live they dont got ****
Old 07-19-2006, 01:38 PM

The size of tires that you can run has everything to do with: camber, wheel offset, rear shock/coilover size.

With the right offset you should be able to fit 9.5s no problem by rolling the fenders. There was a guy who got 315s to work with just a fender roll, the right camber, and coilovers.

If the tire is rubbing the inside of the wheel well how about getting a small spacer?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:12 PM

Can anyone give/show me a pic(s) of slicks on a 240, big slicks that is....I guess my question what is the biggest size i can go without having to roll fenders...spacers i have never thought about, maybe i will look into getting those. thank you godzillaRB
Old 07-20-2006, 11:46 AM

Name:  album_pic1.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  46.3 KB

315s, rolled fenders, coil overs, camber ...so maybe 285s would be safe?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:00 PM

you pretty much SHOULD roll fenders.....i am running 17x9 +17s all around.....wit 0 camber, they sit flush with the very inside edge of the fender tip....

i rolled all 4, but didnt do the front so well.....now when i hit big bumps, i rub a little in the back, but its ok bc the fender lip is flat against the tire when it hits

but on the front, i didnt do such a hot job, and ive been noticing that the bumping and hitting has been "shredding" the tire in the front...NOT GOOD.

I have since fixed front camber temporarily enough to stop this....i would strongly suggest for safety purposes to ROLL THE FENDERS!!!

P.S. There are so many variables to wheel/tire fitment, aside from just static fitment, you have to take into account shock travel and outside wheel camber increase on cornering....plus you didn't provide a whole lot of details on your wheels or tires you have