Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

too low?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:10 AM

too low?

Hey its me again...

thanks to raine and landho

i bought some coil overs last month with pillow mount camber kits....

but i think i messed up installing it.
Its freakin low and after maxing out my camber on the upper mounts, its still like a full negative degree of camber.

my question....
Would I correct some camber if i raise the car back up a little bit?

What would be the best way to adjust ride height? Ruler? or count threads?

Thanks!

-jXN
Old 09-03-2005, 02:53 AM

Did you lower the coilover with the lower or upper perch? The height adjustability is the lower perch right above the strut and the upper is for spring preload. How low is low? take out a tape measure and measure ground to top of fender arch. Mine is 24.5 inches fr and 24 inch back.

I doubt your car is low enough to max out the camber adjustability. I believe stock camber is 1.2 F and 1.7 R on s14, i could be wrong tho. So a full 1 degree negative camber is just fine. And remember, there's four more holes on your mounts so unscrew the two outside adjusting pillowball screw using the provided tool and move them to the next two holes towards the inside of the car. that should give you even more adjustability to get close to zero camber.

You would change your camber if you raise your car. But you would have to raise it in increments of inches to actually see the camber change. Just make sure you adjusted the height using the right perch, slap on a RUCA and go to a reliable alignment shop that knows how to use the RUCA and the pillowballmount.

Oh yeah, don't count threads. I did that in the beginning and all four corners came out to a different height. It might be different for you.

Okay i think i covered everything.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:59 AM

Oh yeah one more thing. I struggled to get all four of my height right.. it's still off...

For some reason on my car, when i wanted a quarter inch lower, i would measure the threads for a quarter inch and lower the strut to a quarter inch.. but it lowered to a half inch. Anybody else get that too?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:02 AM

Did you lower the coilover with the lower or upper perch? The height adjustability is the lower perch right above the strut and the upper is for spring preload. How low is low? take out a tape measure and measure ground to top of fender arch. Mine is 24.5 inches fr and 24 inch back.

I doubt your car is low enough to max out the camber adjustability. I believe stock camber is 1.2 F and 1.7 R on s14, i could be wrong tho. So a full 1 degree negative camber is just fine. And remember, there's four more holes on your mounts so unscrew the two outside adjusting pillowball screw using the provided tool and move them to the next two holes towards the inside of the car. that should give you even more adjustability to get close to zero camber.

You would change your camber if you raise your car. But you would have to raise it in increments of inches to actually see the camber change. Just make sure you adjusted the height using the right perch, slap on a RUCA and go to a reliable alignment shop that knows how to use the RUCA and the pillowballmount.

Oh yeah, don't count threads. I did that in the beginning and all four corners came out to a different height. It might be different for you.

Okay i think i covered everything.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:09 AM

mines look like this. Where is my 4th hole? lol...

I was lucky enuff to realized how to adjust ride height by adjusting it from the bottom.

I have actually done alignments on my 240sx b4 it was lowered on a hunter's alignment machine. The spec on that baby shows that it should be between -.04 and -.01

-1.0 camber is pretty crazy hehhe...

Hey thnx for all that info...it really has open my mind a bit.

Last edited by Carparthookup; 09-03-2005 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:45 PM

-0.04 to -.01 sounds way off. Can anyone confirm this? 1 degree isn't that crazy at all. Some people have negative 3 degrees on the front, otherwise what would be the point of the uppermount.

For some reason i thought you had TEIN's. My bad. I guess you only have two extra holes.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:15 PM

my bad, i checked my FSM its actually -1.3 to 0 lol

Sorry dude... i must have meant toe

-1.36 to -.36 in the rear for anyone who'd like to know
Old 09-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

toe is more important than camber as far as decreasing tire wear.

I use mm when I measure out the coilovers, and I measure them outside of the car (removed from the vehicle).

You want to get super specific, then you'd have to get your car cornerweighted.

As for the camber, Tein camber plates have 4 holes too - I have mine offset to make up for my super low ride height. Maybe Megan's don't have that option?