Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

wheel bearing problems? help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:26 PM

Question wheel bearing problems? help...

Hello, i was searching around and couldn't really find anything to help me diagnose my problem. What i've noticed lately is when i'm going in REVERSE (i don't think i remember going forward) slowly, like backing out of my drive, i hear a loud "groaning" noise and my car almost shakes. It feels/sounds like it's coming from the rear drivers side. I have a feeling it's the rear wheel bearing. when the car was in the shop for different issuies i told them about what i heard. he said they turned it when it was on the lift and said my winter tires were agressive or something. so i changed them and the sound came back and seems to be getting worse.

like i said, i really only hear it when it's going in reverse slowly (not like i got fast in reverse) and can't remember when going forward. it doesn't do it EVERY time i'm in reverse, it seems like a lot of the time it's after i haven't driven it for a while (like overnight), but it's very loud.

so, you think it could be the wheel bearings or could it be something else? i'm fairly certain it's in the rear, but it's a ***** when i can't replicate it when someone else is standing outside of the car :-/

thanks for the help, this is on a 95 non-se w/ 155k miles
Old 05-22-2006, 09:36 PM

How are your brakes? Jack the car up and shake the wheel, there should be no play in it at all, if there is your bearing is bad.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:39 PM

the brakes seem fine to me ... i'll check the play sometime. wouldn't it make that noise in either direction though?

thanks for the tip!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:47 PM

When my brakes were bad it would make an annoying grinding noise when reversing, never did it when going forward.