Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

held and feedback needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:51 PM

help and feedback needed

I have a redtop SR20 that was rebuild, unfortunatly I have white smoke coming out of the my tail pipe. After a hot run the smoke went away so I figured it was the valve seals. Now it has gotten worse, I have been burning more oil than usual now (worse as well as embarrassing when I am waiting at redlights since the white smoke is coming out the rear). Previously it was a leak from the timing chain tensioner, but since that was fixed I thought I woud burn much fewer oil. That was I could wait it out until I had the funds to do headwork. I have narrowed it down all that I could. The bottom end was rebuild so it would be impossible if the cause was in that area.

Feedback would be much appreciated,
-AZK

p.s. if anyone in SoCal has a AAC valve please let me know. The one I have currently is stuck...

Last edited by Azhenk; 04-24-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

my car started smoking and gradually got worse, the turbo was toast, it still worked fine but the seals leaked oil in and it was burnt and sent out the exhaust...compression test as well just to see what you get.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:39 PM

I'll get the compression test done soon, I hope your right, because headwork is a *****. Before the rebuild I took a look at the turbo, everything seemed fine. Everytime I hit mild boost and shift some smoke would come out so I hope it's not a bad turbo, if so then Silvia project will need to wait till end of summer

-AZK

Last edited by Azhenk; 04-24-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:52 PM

wait wait wait wait WTF!!! y do some ppl say white smoke is oil and other ppl say white smoke is coolant i always tought white smoke was oil until one day i downshifted and i blew some blue smoke wich i tought was fuel but then they tould me blue is oil and white is coolant some1 clarify this
Old 04-26-2006, 01:38 AM

Blue is oil. White is coolant, will probably smell syrupy as well.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

white is oil, bluish green is coolant
Old 04-26-2006, 09:03 PM

Well I got my compression test done, was 135-140 across the board. A little low but since I have a metal head gasket it's OK. The problem has been narrowed down to the turbo. No way I could loose so much oil with bad valve seals, I mean the rubber must be completly gone to burn that much. Anyways I will be checking the downpipe to see if oil has leaked into there through the turbo.

thx for the feedback motegineon,
-AZK
Old 04-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

no problem, the downpipe wont have any in there tho cuz it will most likely be burnt up, check the hotpipe and compressor outlet pie though. I had some in there when mine was blown, it also started coming out of my bov when it got really bad.

ps this is motegineon, im on my brothers name
Old 04-27-2006, 12:22 AM

I'll be checking the entire exhaust side, there is a very annoying turbo leak that I would like to take care of. I miss not having full boost, plus it really pissed me off not having full boost when I was taken out by a Civic hatch with a TypeR motor... need boost!

anyways I'll keep you posted,
-AZK