Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

S13 Turbo kits comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 08:28 PM

S13 Turbo kits comparison

ok i am really looking into purchasing a turbo kit for my s13 fastback and i dont want to make the kit myself so i wanted to do a sort of side by side comparison of kits. please post any kits i missed, the prices and the ups and downs of these kits. thanks!

here is the NSPORT kit from nsport.com (1st stage turbo)

Stage 1: $3995

A complete kit, this stage will give around 240HP at the wheels and includes all necessary hardware and parts to turbocharge your 240SX:

Garrett T04B-R turbocharger: This is not an "off the shelf" Garrett unit. Our turbo units start off as a stock T04B then we custom modify the turbine (exhaust) side to provide better flow at higher RPM.

Cast iron exhaust manifold: We use a cast manifold as opposed to a welded stainless steel manifold because they are much more durable than even the best tubular manifolds. We've seen too many manifolds crack, usually at the welds. If you insist, we can provide a welded manifold but we'll have to have your car for a couple of days to weld up a custom manifold. Trust us on this one... go with the cast manifold included with the kit.

Turbonetics Deltagate wastegate (7psi): The spring on the wastegate will limit boost to 7psi unless a boost controller is used. We chose this spring because it's the highest recommended boost level at this power stage so we've eliminated the need for the added cost of a boost controller.

Downpipe: The downpipe comes to you unassembled...

Front mount intercooler and intercooler piping: Our kit comes with a massive intercooler that is front mounted. The core alone, without end-tanks attached, measures 24" x 11" x 2.75"! It cools the intake charge, preventing detonation while adding that aggressive look that only a turbocharged car can have.

BOV: We use a Bosch blow-off valve. We've had very good results with the Bosch unit. The internal spring is strong enough stay closed at idle yet soft enough to open at part-throttle/low boost levels (which is a good thing).

Fuel Pump: Walbro in-tank replacement high-flow fuel pump. This is not an add-on inline fuel pump so it doesn't take any room in your engine compartment or under your car. And it's not a cheap in-tank unit. This pump is just as quiet as the stock unit (you've never heard your stock unit whirring, have you?). A lot of cheaper pumps are so loud that you can hear them operating while driving at speeds of up to 60mph with the windows rolled up! Some pumps flow just as well, many don't... but Walbro pumps are the quietest we've used. If you've ever used an inline pump or cheap in-tank pump, you'll appreciate this item.

Fuel Management Unit: The FMU keeps stock fuel pressures during off-boost operation and adds 7psi of fuel pressure to the fuel rail with every 1psi of boost.

All related hoses, lines, clamps and miscellaneous hardware: We supply all of the things you'll need to complete the installation of this kit. You won't find yourself driving to the auto-parts store to find a bolt, nut, bracket or anything. If it's needed to install our turbo upgrade kit, it's in the box.

And then i found the FMAX kit from turbo-kits.com but they dont advertise a s13 ka24det kit, only an s14 one but i am sure they make them for s13's...

Nissan Turbo Systems are Equipped with:
Stage I:
High-Carbon Cast-Steel Turbo Manifold:

1 year warranty against cracking

Available in thermocoated finish
Closed-Loop Mandrel Bent Downpipe:

Slip-notched closed-loop wastegate design eliminates cracking

Bolts onto factory catalytic converter

16 gauge mild steel (thermal barrier available)

Flex pipe standard for some applications
Intercooler Piping:

2" and 2.5" 16 gauge mandrel bent mild steel

Finish color matched to application
Intake Pipe:

3" 16 gauge mandrel bent mild steel

Maintains crank case ventilation in closed-loop operation
T3/T4E Hybrid Turbocharger:

A/R and compressor wheel profiles can be custom made to fit order

A Turbonetics T3\T4 is standard unless otherwise noted
Tial External Wastegate

Intercooler:

Intercooler core with 99% charge-side efficiency comes standard
Air Filter:

A High Flow Air Filtercharger comes standard
HKS Racing Bypass Valve:

Completely discharges excess boost pressure to eliminate compressor surge
Nissan 370CC Fuel Injectors:

4 New primary fuel injectors that drop into place without major modifications

95-98 240 SX w/ KA24DE $ 3999.00

but if you order the fmax kit now then you get 400 dollars off + free shipping so thats a bit cheaper...

these are the only two i could find right now and i think theres a rev hard kit too. any additions to this would be appreciated but as you can see both kits are very similar. has anyone had any experience dealing with these kits/vendors? thanks
Old 04-10-2003, 09:13 PM

check out http://www.xs-engineering.com/
Old 04-14-2003, 07:07 PM

ok so apparently, fmax says they dont make kits for the s13 and xs engineering makes them for s14 only also. this makes me think about just doing it myself...
Old 04-16-2003, 12:34 PM

dont get the bosch blow off valve, whatever you do. They're junk. A good cheap unit is the Greddy Type-S. If you wanna go for something a little differant, get the HKS Super BOV (import it from Japan). Thats what I have, it sounds like the XS RFOL bov, but a bit higher pitched. The XS bov is real good too. I have a turbo s13 KA, if you want some pics, ill send you some. Peace
-Drew
Old 04-16-2003, 04:23 PM

finally, someone on these boards with a turbo ka s13! well if its possible can you send me your aim so i can talk to you a bit about the process? my aim is teknoe7. im on a lot so hit me up anytime.