Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

turbo after 100,000miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

sweet. how do the 2 compare as far as fast spool? When i get to the point that i wanna turbo, im going to run probably 8 psi, and want to spool ASAP. what would you recommend? you seem to be pretty knowledgable on the subject
Old 06-25-2005, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

I might be blowing smoke, but I BELIEVE that the T28 is going to spool faster, considering it's a smaller turbo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:02 AM

I dont get the point of turboing your car only to get 220 outta it. Why not just install the Greddy FMU and get headers, exhaust, and intake to get you around the same numbers. If you get the Greddy FMU thats 500, then if you get headers itll be around 250, intake will go anywhere from 40-150, and exhaust can range from 250-800. So why not just do that instead of buying a turbo and all that other stuff you need, unless your just looking for the BOV sound...but common you can download a clip, burn it on a cd and play it while you drive...thats the same isnt it?
Old 06-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

For quick spool go T28 its responds at low rpm and carries it to redline.

Well that 220hp on stock *** engine. You can always get more power just have to build.

I have seen 300hp T28 KA's with slightly but internals.

IF you do your NA stuff well you jsut maxed out HP potential.
And waste money.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by donteventry
I dont get the point of turboing your car only to get 220 outta it. Why not just install the Greddy FMU and get headers, exhaust, and intake to get you around the same numbers. If you get the Greddy FMU thats 500, then if you get headers itll be around 250, intake will go anywhere from 40-150, and exhaust can range from 250-800. So why not just do that instead of buying a turbo and all that other stuff you need, unless your just looking for the BOV sound...but common you can download a clip, burn it on a cd and play it while you drive...thats the same isnt it?
You might not even get 220 with that set up. We can paper race all we want and speculate how much HP you're going to get by adding X mod, but in all honesty every engine responds differently to a modification, even if it's the same engine type and same mod type. There are a LOT of other factors that go into it as well.

Most of the time people relate to how fast a car is by how much horsepower it has, so they have a tendency to say: "I want X amount of horse power", because they believe it will make them go faster.

What about gear ratios? What about power/weight ratio? What about parasitic loss? What about the crank shaft and flywheel? What about your power band? Last, what about the proper suspension to be able to put all that power to the ground? A lot of people don't think about that, but these are just as important, if not more important than horsepower.

Either way, with turbo you still have a lot of room to build if you decide to. Going the N/A route kind of leaves you on that path, and theres no real way to get off it unless you start over.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

with that being said, case closed... good job
Old 06-25-2005, 07:01 PM

I completely agree with you, and I am turboing my car...after I completely rebuild the engine. I already have the breaks and suspension done, so now im onto the engine. Im not some dumby that thinks omg well I have xhp and you have less than me so therefore my car is automatically better. Im setting my car up for a fun daily driver that can keep up with some of the big names out there, and prove its a worthy foe at the strip. I guess everyone has their own opinions, and ways of acheiving their goals.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Thats good, it's good to know what you want out of your car. I wasn't specifically saying anything about you personally, just in general. I wanted the original thread starter to know this, if he didn't already.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by donteventry
I completely agree with you, and I am turboing my car...after I completely rebuild the engine. I already have the breaks and suspension done, so now im onto the engine. Im not some dumby that thinks omg well I have xhp and you have less than me so therefore my car is automatically better. Im setting my car up for a fun daily driver that can keep up with some of the big names out there, and prove its a worthy foe at the strip. I guess everyone has their own opinions, and ways of acheiving their goals.
I think you and i are in the same boat
Old 06-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

I'm definitely in the same boat as well...still trying to work that suspension. Lol.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:47 PM

Lol well good luck LA and Intial, youll have to keep me updated and let me know what you guys do and in what order. Ill be getting my 300zx breaks done this week and throwin on the z32 wheels to finish off stage 1. Then its time to start savin for stage 2.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:28 PM

i think the stock suspension on the 240 is really good(for stock).it corners great,lauches hard off the line. the brakes need alittle help i agree..but the suspension will be the last thing on my list of stuff to change.(maybe i just got some special stuff on mine,i dunno)

i raced a mustang once (and lost badly)but off the line and thur 1st and 2ng gear i owned hes ***.but when i hit 3rd it got sad pretty fast(hes maybe around 275 bhp)maybe a bad driver too,who knows.the suspension is pretty well balanced imo between handling and lauching the car off the line and a good ride.what ever floats your boat i guess.my goal is a good all rounder, a do it all sports car.i just got to get this lack of power thing out of the way first.

and about the turbo.i got 176000 miles on mine.this is my first turbo project.i want to do it myself and learn something.and if she pops it will be a lesson learned and a motive to drop in some forged pistons/rods and do a rebuild to meet my end goal.what better way to learn then doing it yourself.it could be hard on the wallet thou im sure.but aint that what every car project is.