Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

building for autox (turbo questions n suspension Qs)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:45 AM

building for autox (turbo questions n suspension Qs)

okay, so I'm planning on doing KA-T and my brother in law has suggested me to try out the autocross scene. This ovbviously means i have no clue about autocrossing and would like to be more educated and so. Though the thing is I have started looking into going turbo. Now a local tuner told me if i'm doing autocross ask around in forums about how i should build my car and said its probably better to run t3 turbos. I don't relatively have too much knowledge on hand so if anyone can give me advices into builds and stuff it would be great. I want to add to my suspension works aswell, as of current I have a set of coilover damper system kit on and rear n front strut bars. I'd like to get more advices into building for autocross. I also would like to know if it is on the highly recommended to go with bigbrakes or wut mods i should do with my brakes. Thank you all and please pardon the noobness.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Well first of all, go the the SCCA website and take a look around, find your local chapter of SCCA autocross and join their forum and ask the same questions there. Autox guys are really nice and very helpful. I love autox and make sure to never miss an event in Phoenix, AZ.

Also you NEED to decide what class you want to be in (if you care about being competitive and winning at all) before you start modding your car. Putting on a turbo will automatically put you in one of the highest class (SM), and I don't recommend going into that class unless you have $50K to drop into your car to make it competitive.

If you'd like to see my build for an ST classed car go here: https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/show-shine-4/building-scca-autox-car-st-class-46144/

I'm happy to answer any more questions you may have about autox (as it's a great sport and VERY addictive ), especially classing questions as I know the rules of what you can/can't do to your car can sometimes be hard to understand.

#1 piece of advice: Find out where the next autox event is closest to you, sign up for it, and go and run in whatever class your car falls into right now (even if it's stock). talk to people there and enjoy the sport and make sure you like it and it's something you want to pursue (chances are you'll be addicted after your first event )
Old 09-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

bro... i was turbo and i was not SM....... but than again I had no interior and host of other mods that made EM more suitable for me.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
bro... i was turbo and i was not SM....... but than again I had no interior and host of other mods that made EM more suitable for me.
Right, adding a turbo/super to your car (if it did not come with one form the factory) automatically puts you into AT LEAST SM, but all SM cars still must have pretty much the full interior (you can remove the rear seat if you like).

So removing interior will put you into at least prepared, and depending on how much you remove maybe even Modified like yourself
Old 09-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

haha yeaup...while i was typing a image of my car popped in my head and i said.. wait lol my car is no where near standard lol
Old 09-20-2009, 06:25 PM

thanks guys this is very useful stuff... appreciate the info.