Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Looking to build a 240sx Autox car... many questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 07:35 AM

Looking to build a 240sx Autox car... many questions

Hey guys,

One of my sponsors is looking to build an autox/track car for him and I to drive. It would primarily be an autox car, but it would see track time also. I've thown out the idea of a 240sx because it's light, RWD, cheap (compared to what I'm running now), IRS, and Nissan has some powerful motors.

We have several questions, and I'm sure I'll forget several.

1. What year would be the lightest car?

2. What year would have the best suspension setup?

3. What motor would be the best to throw in it? (SM allows for any Nissan motor, but can't change the mounting points)

4. Would that motor be N/A or Turbo? If turbo, would the power be linear? What's a safe redline with that motor? (getting hit by a mack truck in a turn is not the best idea)

5. What's the max width of wheel that fits the cars? (The front fenders with be replaced with FG ones, and the rear will be flared, but just trying to get an idea of a starting point)

6. Looks like the 300zx brakes are an easy swap, but how are the stock brakes?

7. What's the max speed in 2nd gear? What's the red line with that? (I'm assuming stock motor)

8. Any other important info you can think of.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

1)Lightest one is a base model 89-93 240SX(coupe or hatch).
2)I take it you mean stock suspension set up. If you can find a 91-93 Super HICAS hatchback...then that is the best for Auto X. But it is quite heavier. Second would be any SE model.
3)Since you would want a lighter engine, SR20DET(S13 or S14) would be the right one.
4)Turbo, look for a dyno from a SR engine and see how it looks. With the right tuning it can be real close to linear. REdline is 7k I believe.
5)For the front, 18X9 with a +15 offset. Rear a 19X10.5 with a +15 offset.
Both of those should fit nicely...
6)Stock brakes are good..until you start putting out some serious power. That's when you would want to upgrade to the Z32 brakes or R32 brakes.
7)Can't remember
8)Seems like you know your stuff when it comes to Auto X so I won't say Seat time is the most important mod

You could've fond most of this info with a little searching...please do so in teh future
Old 10-25-2004, 10:21 AM

Don't forget about stability modifications. I know you are concerned about your weight, however front, mid-ship, and rear stut bars are a must. Also, sway bars are a good addition whilst upgrading your suspension. A 5 or 6 point roll cage will also add to the rigidity and safety of your vehicle. Let's not forget about lighter racing seats and multi-point harnesses. I don't know much about these, but my Cavalier had something called strut pinions, which are supposed to add to the rigidity of your suspension system. Try to look into those.

I hope that helps

Take Care,
-Dave