Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

removing stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

there should not be any screws except for the ones holding in the radio... if you broke the trim piece around the the radio and the shifter it is most likley that one of the clips holding it in was bent... the screws you see are to hold the clips on and that is it they should have just popped out with no problems...

then again there is this type of glue/ cement that is known to be in older cars... it is called soda glue... from thousands of miles of soda getting spilled dirt and grime filling the cracks of everything... this glue has been known to break lots of plastic trim pieces and there is not much you can do about it... unless you are like me and remove every little part that can pop out and clean it then put it back in...
Old 06-29-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by wikd240
there should not be any screws except for the ones holding in the radio... if you broke the trim piece around the the radio and the shifter it is most likley that one of the clips holding it in was bent... the screws you see are to hold the clips on and that is it they should have just popped out with no problems...

then again there is this type of glue/ cement that is known to be in older cars... it is called soda glue... from thousands of miles of soda getting spilled dirt and grime filling the cracks of everything... this glue has been known to break lots of plastic trim pieces and there is not much you can do about it... unless you are like me and remove every little part that can pop out and clean it then put it back in...

damn when i look at it, i swear those screws were screwed into the tirm priece. oh well though, ill just pull harder and if it snaps, it snaps.

thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 03:41 PM

aight got it, thanks.

also when putting a new harness in, do i leave the old harness or should i take the old one out?

thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

The harness adapter will connect to the old harness. It looks something like this...

---{ }--
factory harness ---{ }-- new harness with blank wires to head unit
---{ }--

It connects to the factory harness and has wires coming off it..that way you splice the wires into the new harness so you don't have to cut factory wires. I know...ghetto picture but I hope you get it.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Preston
The harness adapter will connect to the old harness. It looks something like this...

---{ }--
factory harness ---{ }-- new harness with blank wires to head unit
---{ }--

It connects to the factory harness and has wires coming off it..that way you splice the wires into the new harness so you don't have to cut factory wires. I know...ghetto picture but I hope you get it.
i think i might get it, so im just pluggin the wires from the new harness into the other end of the old harness?

should be able to do it, hopefully ill get it all lined up correctly.
thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

No, you know how the factory wires have that plastic harness on the end? The harness adaptor has the female end of that...you snap that INTO the factory harness and then there are wires coming off the adaptor that you connect to the head unit....here's a pic of the adaptor...that plugs into the factory harness...and those wires off the back of it get connected to the head unit...

Last edited by Preston; 10-02-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:06 PM

omg i cant get those screws that hold the headunit and the harness thing out! and they are stripped already from what it looks like someone before me tried to chage it and couldnt get them out either...they are stuck in there GOOD