Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Stereo Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:47 AM

Stereo Installation Questions

First off, I've read through the entire audio forum and it has helped me greatly with my installation so far. I just wanted to be 100% sure as to what I need to do. Basically I bought an aftermarket head unit and a pair of speakers. My 93 Fastback comes with an active speaker system.

Head Unit Harness
The head unit harness comes with an antenna power wire. The car harness comes with an antenna power wire (blue) and an amp wire (blue w/white stripes). What am I supposed to splice the antenna power wire to? I've talked to different people and they've told me different answers - anywhere from splicing all three, to connecting the antenna wire with just the amp wire (blue w/white stripes). Can someone clarify? Does splicing the car harness' amp wire to anything matter at all since i'm not even planning to use the active system?

Speakers
All I have to do is to use the +/- speaker wires and tape up the other 3 wires correct? As with the rear speakers, do I have to bypass the amp, or can I just take out the entire amp and wire up just the +/-?

Thanks ahead of time. The previous threads have been of great help, especially with the DIY plates.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:27 AM

Hello tomenugen,

I live in japan and I have installed many systems in silvias. I appologize I am new to club240 but I do love silvias. Here in Japan we use stereo harness adapters. I understand if you have to cut and splice I have been there.

Head Unit Harness :

If your are hooking an amp to your system then you will need the blue and white wire which is called a remote wire. if you are not installing an amp with your system then the blue with a white line wire will not be needed. and to answer your question do not connect the blue with white to anything if you are not installing an amp just connect the blue. that is to make your antenna go up when you turn on your head unit and go to FM or AM. and go down when you switch to CD or MD. I will be more than happy to help you step by step just let me know.

Kazan94
Old 09-13-2004, 09:36 PM

i already did everything. thanks though kazan. just figuring what to do with the wiring for the rear audio now....