Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

bad syncros?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:13 AM

bad syncros?

My tranny is messed up. All of the sudden one night my gears started to grind when I shift in all gears. My clutch grabs fine so I dont know if its my slave cylinder or my clutch not dis-engaging all the way. Or mabye my syncros are fried. I can still power shift but it grinds pretty bad. It also grinds bad when its in gear and I rev it. Help.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Change your gear oil. Before you beat on it to much more. It could be a $5 problem turned into a $700 problem.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Mine grind when I'm in neutral and pop it back into 5th. And this is with the clutch all the way in.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:29 PM

it can be one of 3 thingz. chances are its not 1 of 3, if you all 6 gears are bad. 5 for. 1 rev. other 2 things it prolly is.. check ur fluid level. open up ur hood and in the back right corner in a small white plastic thingy, check the condition of the fluid. if you have the ability, bleed the ****, and replace the fluid with new dot 3 brake fluid. if the fluid is black and grimy, itll affect whether ur able to shift. #2. check ur peddle. does it have any play, and how fast does it return? u just might need to adjust it. it should be stiff, but not springy, and it should easily return all the way back up. laydown on ur seat, look under ur peddle. theres a metal rod, that will adjust the peddle. loosen the nut on it, and turn it into the firewall to stiffen the peddle. keep playing with it till u find a setting u like, with the car off. you want the peddle to have enough relief where gently tapping it w/ ur foot will move it, but it shouldnt be stiff as hell. with ur hand u should be able to push it in about inch-inch and a half without using much force. good luck, email me with how it turns out. anubiswh@comcast.net

~Sunrise
Old 07-09-2004, 07:51 PM

one last check is when you put it in reverse does it grind, reverse does not have a synchro, so if it grinds when going into reverse then you probably have a slave cylinder issue. redline MTL is also a good savior for gears and synchro's that are old.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:03 PM

I'm in the same situation that you are, mine just started doing it today. I'm thinking mine is cylinder related, and my master is looking kinda old too. The fluid is a big thing though, I agree, check it and replace that if you haven't done it already. I'm swapping out all of my fluids tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

How much does it cost to replace a slave cyclinder?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:09 AM

heres the b i t c h. a new slave cylinder will cost 15-25 dollars. brake fluid that ull need is another 5-10. labor is about 2 hours. so for a total for about 20-35, u can have it done yourself, or pay the mechanic $150 minimum to have it done. its easy as all hell to do, and if your anywhere near NJ, ill do it for you. only problem is it takes time to do, its a slow process. if you have so much as a jack in ur car, u can do it, and i can help you with the process.
my aim name is anubiswh , u can reach me weekdays after 7, sundays almost anytime. peace
~Sunrise