Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Need help with removing oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:25 AM

Need help with removing oil pan

Sorry, but im at work now so i gotta ask here. Well, after trying to figure out why my 1990 240 sx wont move in any gear, i had someone come over and look at it. He says the linkage looks good, but it could be shredded under the oil pan and that i need to take it off and look for metal flakes, and check the tranny filter. Since i dont have a manual and since i never done this before, i was looking for some help on how to do this procedure. Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

1. Raise the car up (jacks if you dont have acces to a lift)

2.Drain the oil from the pan to avoid creating a mess.

3. Take off all the bolts that hold it in place. (there is also i think 3-4 bolts from the timing cover that connect to the oil pan)

4. The oil pan most likely wont just slide off so you may need to wedge something between it to pull it off. (use wedge,malet,etc)

5. Check what needs to be checked

This is a basic rundown of how to remove it. Remember when puttin it back on to use some RTV or some kind of sealant before you bolt it back up.

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

hmm... the front suspension member isn't in the way on S13's? It is on my zenki... I have to raise my engine to get the oil pan off. Oh and be careful prying the pan off, don't use a flathead screwdriver or anything like that, you don't want to damage the oil pump...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

im thinking he is meaning the transmission oil pan since it is his trans he is having problems with... no need to remove the oil pan if he is working on the trans...

lift the car high enough to get under the middle of the car... secure it good as you will be under there for a while... drain trans fluid for reasons above...remove the ring of bolts holding the trans pan on the transmission... usint a putty knife insert it between the trans and the pan and work the pan off... the gasket and silicone will be hard to get off but with a little work it will fallcheck for metal in the pan... and in the filter...

hope it is your problem... if not there are other things to check... suck as did it sheer the torque converter bolts or break the input shaft...

you can check the torque converter bolts bt removing the inspection plate that is on the front of the transmission... there are 4 bolts that hold it in place... they are attached to 2 brackets on either side of the motor... remove all 4 bolts and you should be able to remove the plate... using a 27 mm sockst on the crank pully bolt turn the motor and watch to see if the metal gear (flex plate) behind the inspection plate turns... the torque converter is behind that plate and you will have to squeez your finger beind the flex plate to see if it turns as a unit... there are 4 bolts around the flex plate bolting it to the torque converter... when you spin the motor you will see the bolts... make sure none of them are broken...

to check the input shaft of the trans you need to pull the motor... that is a chore in its self...

good luck hope it helps...