Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

pedal pressure goes up and down

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:34 AM

pedal pressure goes up and down

searched and couldn't really find anyone with the same problem
so when my car is cold my clutch pedal is really soft and i have to push the pedal all the way to the floor for it to engage smoothly and not grind. Then as i drove around and the motor warmed up the clutch line, so i assume, the pedal got stiff and it caught near the top of the travel. been like this for some time now.
i think hmmm, there must be air in the line somewhere, so i finally have the time and i proceed to bleeding the clutch to get the air out. bleeding was done and nothing, pedal is mushy and yet again must be pushed to the floor to get into gear, i am absolutely sure there is no air in the line, since i bled it 20 times. i drove it around to try and warm up the line and see if the heat would firm up the pedal like it did before. same thing happened, the pedal got stiff and caught near the top again. i dont understand why there is no pressure until it warms up, and bleeding it did not help. it was working fine right before i bled it, nice and firm (it was driven for awhile of course, so it was warm). so im assuming the MC and SC are fine since its fine when the system is warmed up.
anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

also i dont have a clutch dampener since my car was auto before
the clutch hardline is new from dealer and from hardline to slave is a stainless steel clutch line

thanks for any help

henry
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 PM

I would go ahead and change the master cylinder and slave anyways.....you can get both of em for about $50 total, and it takes about a 1/2 hour to swap em out....not a bad idea...if that doesnt fix it, maybe a bad clutch fork? or maybe your pressure plate or throw-out bearing could be going?
Old 03-11-2006, 04:44 PM

not sure if this helps, but i just read that you may need to jack up the front end to get th air out..... im not sure which years this applies to, but i doubt thats the problem anyway