Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Big legal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 AM

High NOX is due to no EGR, and or running to lean

NOX is produced but Combustion Temps. The EGR system actually circulates exhaust gas back into the incoming air/fuel mix to make it burn cooler. Running a Lean mix burns hotter than a rich mix.. make sure your A/F ratio is good.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:14 PM

my brother and friend both have turbo mr2 mkIIs. my bro got lucky and smogged it before his engine blew up and got the tags like a week before his jdm engine was installed, so theoretically, he's clean unless a smart cop checks for his egr or checks his ecu. for the friend, he pays like an extra $200 for somebody to basically forge a test. but be careful cuz this guy might sound legit, but take your money as a personal favor to turn you in. it is possible, so watch out and good luck.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Seriously, a lot of shops now are being cracked down on. You have to be super careful about who you go to. Another reason why I plan to do an LS2 swap. 400 hp 400 tq and all legal with a BAR Ref cert to go with it!

Honestly, be very careful who you deal with... smog inspectors are looking out for themselves with the BAR's eagle eye on everything. They may think you're the BAR undercover agent.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:52 PM

LS2 is only legal if you put it into another chevy
Old 08-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nightkid86
LS2 is only legal if you put it into another chevy

That is actually incorrect my friend, according the the Federal guidelines the BAR follows, as long as the engine you are installing into your vehicle (i.e. 240sx) came from another car, it is legal. The only time it is not legal is if the engine came from a truck, however, if that truck engine was also used in a car, then it is legal. You can however, install any car engine into a truck, but not the other way around. The other stipulation to this is that the engine MUST be from a car that was produced AND sold here in the United States. Meaning any engine that was not sold in an American Domestic Market car, is deemed Federally illegal (i.e. SR20, RB25/26, JDM 2JZ, Australian LS2, etc.)

As long as all CA standard emission controls for that engine are installed and in full proper function, allowing the engine to pass smog, you shall receive a certificate of approval from the BAR referee. Once you pass the initial visual, sound and smog tests, you are allowed to have the vehicle smoged at any smog station in CA.

C'mon bro, your talking to someone who was on the phone with a certified BAR ref for hours making sure what I was planning to do was perfectly legal. Even the LS7 is perfectly legal, just run all emission control sensors and all that lovely crap. Another thing you cannot do (but people do it anyways) is take a half ton class truck or SUV and install a diesel engine. Majority of the diesel engines sold in the USA are for 3/4 ton and up heavy duty trucks and due to Federal regulations, are not allowed to be used in light duty trucks (half tons).

Anyone else have questions regarding CA BAR refs?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:03 AM

wow u guys have a hard over there in cali
dont mean to brag butt i love fla
Old 08-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

also why would you want a JDM 2jz when a USDM 2jz has more power stock lol
Old 08-24-2007, 09:50 AM

Hey im kinda new to the 240's and i was wondering if the sr20det was illegal in all 50 states. Thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

LOL wow dude did you even read ANY post at all? wow you fail try again
Old 08-24-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Patfa38
Hey im kinda new to the 240's and i was wondering if the sr20det was illegal in all 50 states. Thanks

YES IT IS... there are thousands of hardened criminals driving around as we speak... and a few on this forum...

The FBI will arrest them all as soon as they find out who has one...

www.google.com is your friend...

Forum search functions rock as well
Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Patfa38
No it is not since it was not sold in any car here in the United States, in order to have a legal swap, the engine must be from another USDM car.

And to answer your question battosai, USDM 2JZ is super hard to find. And if you do find one, its like GOLD... seriously, they are. For one USDM 2JZ, I can buy around... 2 or 3 JDM 2JZ.

All you really need to do people, is call your local BAR referee. They will tell you what is legal and what is not. And you can ask them about using a motor that has been imported into the US, but was never sold in any USDM car. They will tell you the same thing I've said before. This is a public forum, we are not here to encourage illegal activity, if anyone has anything positive to add to this thread or any other, feel free, but if your encouraging an illegal swap, save your time.

And yes, use the search features of this site. It will save you from getting burned by the admins and guys like me... I'm just a little too buzzed to be arguing right now... time for munchies.