Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Few quick questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 08:52 PM

Few quick questions....

Let me start off by saying that this is actually my first time to this site and i've been browsing it for about the last 6 hours now, trying to get in all the information I can, and already about 90% of the cars i've seen have blown me away. I currently own a 1997 BMW M3 that im trying to get rid of because i've been having way to many problems with it. My brother had pointed out to me that 240 sx's can be ruthless cars if the correct things are done to them. If I was to get a 240 the first thing to be changed would be the motor. I was looking at the SR20DET. Im gonna also apologize now because if the questions I ask have already been answered I didnt see them while I was searching the site. Ive done about the most research that I can and I still do have 2 questions. The first one is I was looking at some web pages a memeber had recommended to buy motors from and I saw that the motor prices had ranged from $2500 - $8000 that I saw all the way up too. The motor I would be interested in would be a bone stock one. I saw some motors that had greddy parts that were already upgraded on the motor but I would be looking for one, like I said, bone stock. I also did read that a fuel pump should be upgraded in order for the motor to work correctly along with other parts. So my question is how much would I be looking at for a complete motor with installation and everything that it would need to run correctly. Just a rough price. And my second question is how happy is everyone with the motor swap. Have you run into many problems since the motor was put in. Well once again I will apologize if these questions have been answered in another thread, but I do appreciate the help of those who respond to this thread. Thanks once again.

Kevin
( Hopefully a new 240 owner )
Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 PM

the cheapest place that i found for a sr20 i think was japan domestic motor...they qouted me 1600 for everthing....plus shipping...they said it came with motor, tranny, ignitor chip, ecu, and uncut harness...it was a while back so i don't know if the price went up or not.....
Old 10-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

wutsup Kevin,

What kind of problems are you having with your E36? I'll trade you my car for your car... (no it's not the one pictured in my sig). for the SR swap, as you said, the price varies greatly depending on what model year 240 you're putting it in and which SR engine you're using. I'd say figure on spending around $3500-$4500 on the cost of the engine (yes, bone stock SR20det) and the swap (does not include price of the car). If the swap is done right by an experienced professional (i.e. someone who does the swap on a consistent basis), there should be no problems whatsoever seeing as the SR was designed for the 240/Silvia chassis...
Old 10-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Well CowboyTurbo its a 1997 M3 sedan artic silver with dove grey leather. Right now from what ive learned so far all it needs is a Throttle Positing Sensor and it will be okay to run. I will definatly find out today whats wrong with it because its going to be looked at this evening. There is a little bit of damage on the rear quater panel that can be pulled out and theres a little damage to the front end that can be fixed. Dont ask me what happened to the front end because I dont know exactly. I had bought it like that. As for the quater panel, I guess thats what happens when you leave your car in the street near a bar at night. Looks like someone punched it a few times and then decided to key my trunk. I did bring it to a bodyshop and they said it would be no problem to fix everything that needed to be fixed. Its has about 108K on it and the motor still does run really strong. Nothing after market was ever done to it except for an intake. I owe about 13,800 on it but I would be willing to sell it for anywhere around 13,000. I just cant afford to pay for the car, insurance and fix it whenever it breaks. I live on my own so now I gotta start paying rent and everthing else that comes along with it. Let me know about your car and maybe we can make some kind of a deal. And also thanks for the information about the motor. It was really helpful. I'll give you my AIM screen name and maybe it might be easier for us to talk. KWorker17 Thanks again.

Kevin

Last edited by KWorker20; 10-13-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

haha, I saw your ad on dtmpower.net also. I wish I had some more money 'cuz then I'd be able to make you some sort of REAL offer on your car... my car's probably only worth about $5K at the most~ Stock engine (175K miles) '95 240 with minor mods. It's really too bad 'cuz I think you mentioned that you're moving to NH, which means you'll probably pass through MA (where I am) on the way up. Anyways, good luck on the sale~ my aim is Turbo3RaiN if you have any questions about any other stuff.