Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

RB20 is going in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

RB20 is going in!

This is a "documentary" of my RB20DET into S13 240SX swap from start to finish. I started with a complete front clip from a R32 Skyline GTS-T, many parts like the radiator, hoses, intercooler and piping, and crossmember you will need and can use from a clip-so get the clip! I own RSImports and ...borrowed.. a clip from my company. I have upgraded my turbo from the beginning and made myself quite a bit of extra work. The RB20 swap is fairly easy to install like a SR20. Expect to add electric fans and massage the tachometer from the R32 cluster into yours. Other than this the swap is actually simpler with less wiring than a SR swap. The stock RB heater hoses only need to be trimmed to fit, and the rad hoses from the KA work fine, trimmed slightly. The only downside of going RB is that getting parts is a slow process. Order a timing belt and tensioner pulleys, valve cover gaskets, and water pump from Japan before you start your swap. The water pump is located BEHIND the timing belt I recommend replacing it regardless with a NEW one, because it's a pain to replace in the car! These are the Japan only parts and DO NOT have any equivelents in the USA. There is a factory Nissan brand called Pitwork that has decent prices and OEM quality. For details and pics-read on

Last edited by rkcarguy; 08-06-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

radiator comparison

Here's a pic of the KA and RB R32 radiator side by side(end view), note the thicker core, about 50% thicker. The mounting studs line up so this will be a bolt in upgrade over the stock unit.
Attached Thumbnails RB20 is going in!-rbradcomp.jpg  
Old 07-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Crossmember comparison

The RB crossmember is a MUST HAVE. Either that or a set of aftermarket mounts. The RB crossmember has it's motor mounting points far forward compared to the KA, about a 5-1/2" difference. The bottom one is the RB xmember in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails RB20 is going in!-rbcrosscomp.jpg  

Last edited by rkcarguy; 08-06-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:59 AM

tell me how the engine sits with the rb xmember...i heard its too far forward in some cases....causing me to think about gettin mounts....also u had to use a impact gun to get all the extra crap off the xmembers rite??? (my friend and i were having an arguement about this...)
Old 07-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

We'll see how it goes. If it's too far forward I'm going to have the mounting holes slotted where the mounts bolt to the block. I use air to take almost everything apart. Today the RB and crossmember are going to visit the carwash before I install them.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

clean

motor and crossmember are now clean. I covered all the hoses and ports with duct tape, and afterwards removed the plugs and blew out any water that might have gotten in. This can do very bad things if your swap won't get fired right away and there's water in the engine Tomorrow the fun part starts, installation
Attached Thumbnails RB20 is going in!-rbclean.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

It's finally in....

Got the RB20 installed. It bolted in, no spacers, no aftermarket motor mounts, no BS. The shifter is a little forward of it's old position, maybe 1/2". There is about 7/8" between the firewall and the back of the head. The motor installed in about 15 minutes from the bottom(I had a forklift), and I spent another 2 hours bolting all my suspension back on. I found out later you can undo the inner control arm bolts, and pop the steering ball joints, and then just swing them out of the way and let everything hangs on the struts. The only problem so far is that the swaybar is rubbing on the oil pan. Mechanically this appears to be a BOLT IN SWAP! Now for the wiring
Attached Thumbnails RB20 is going in!-rbisin.jpg  

Last edited by rkcarguy; 08-06-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:15 PM

can u get me a pic of the shifter???
Old 07-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

shifter position-Neutral

I suppose so..... it's forward a little, but theres enough room that it can shift without any interference. I might pop it out of there and heat it up, and bend it back a little when I have the time.
Attached Thumbnails RB20 is going in!-rbshifter.jpg  
Old 07-28-2004, 08:41 PM

Are you using air tools?

I hope to do an RB swap someday.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:38 PM

let me know how the wiring goes. and post any info you use for the wiring cause im gonna be doing the swap in about a month.
thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by areitu
Are you using air tools?

I hope to do an RB swap someday.
yea he is....its impossible to change the xmembers without an impact wrench...i dont care if ure the world weightlifting champion....their just torqued on too tight...
Old 07-31-2004, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by Jedi Mind Gamez
yea he is....its impossible to change the xmembers without an impact wrench...i dont care if ure the world weightlifting champion....their just torqued on too tight...
It's not hard. You just need an extension, impact socket set, breaker bar, and a ratchet thing that can use the impact socket set, some liquid wrench or something similar and if it's really bad, a good arm.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:17 PM

I tried it with a ratchet, extension and a quarter can of liquid wrench and it didnt even budge...
Old 07-31-2004, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

I've undone them by hand with a 1/2" drive ratchet, but had the car up higher so I could get good leverage. I'm also 6'2" 250 too. Hopefully your turning them the right way.

Quick Reply: RB20 is going in!