Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

RB20 is going in!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, Hyjynx is gonna go nuts about that, lol.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

It's not my 240 that's done that's the car in the pic a few posts ago, the 63 MG Midget. I've fitted the tach from the RB cluster into mine, you'll have to dremel and get creative to make the clock work but it goes. Mine is a grey tach/white #'s and it looks ok with the stock 240 black backgrounds/white #'s. Then it's just a matter of finding the temp and tach wires in the jumble of RB harness and hooking them up. I'm trying to get a exhaust mani gasket I had to remove a broken stud, and removing the manifold wasted the gasket and I can't find another one or anything that will work anywhere.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:37 AM
Contributing Member

if you find out where to get the exhaust mani gasket let me know. I am having a hell of a time getting parts for mine.
BTW, bless you for all the stuff you've posted on this swap. you have been a couple steps ahead of me the whole time (I decided to change the color of the car and had to wait for the engine bay to get sprayed) and you have saved me a TON of hassle. the biggest thing is about the X-member. To me ( a chevy guy) when you say Xmember you are talking about the tranny mount, and I was bangin my head against the wall tryin to figure out how to get this thing to line up, when I decided to take the Kmember out before I got rid of the clip and I made all the measurements I saw the light, and then noticed your post which explained it WITH PICS!!! to think, I almost let that thing go and screwed myself out of $400 . Keep posting PLEASE! and thankx
Old 08-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

I'm actually going to use 2 SR20 gaskets ordered from Car Quest for now, they are for the sentra SE-R SR20DE. The ports are the same size, but the bolt holes are off, I'm going to alter them to fit so I can get my swap going, and then I'll order some with my next order from Japan. I'm looking into doing quantity buys from Pitwork(Nismo factory OEM Nissan parts) thru our front clip supplier for RB water pumps, valve cover and exh mani gaskets, timing belts, and tensioner pulleys, and water pumps for the SR20's.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:08 AM

I will never understand why anyone goes with an RB over an SR. The HP difference is not worth the weight.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

That is why the Skyline got the RB motor and is considered a "super car", because the HP isnt worth the weight...

Thanks for pointing that out, I will not be getting any more RB motors.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

I think reliabilty is worth it too, I think the RB is far more reliable at higher HP levels then the SR. Besides that SR's are everywhere now like B16A swaps, a RB will get a ooh-ahh in a sports car croud. Hopefully jon you're being sarcastic......
Old 08-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Of course I am....I wouldnt think of any other motor after driving mine....Thanks to you for making me an RB junkie!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:18 AM

I am talking about weight in a smaller vehicle. The S13 is NOT going to handle as well with the heavier engine without more mods. The SR weighs less and fits more efficiently without worrying about how far back it is mounted. The car was designed for the SR and doesn't "push" nearly as bad in curves with that engine. The SR has abundantly more spare parts accessible in the states. I understand that might not be the case everywhere.

BTW We (my family here son/wife/me)currently have several SR20DETs, an RB20DET, an SR20DE and a CA18DE so I am somewhat familiar with them all. For the S13 application, I prefer the SR20DET over them all.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

The car was DESIGNED for the KA....As for how the car performs in a corner, what a tired old bull**** debate. The car will perform as well as the driver can adapt. There are alot of crappy cars out there with horrible weight distribution that, in the hands of a skilled driver, can out perform a car with perfect balance. I challenge you to put Michael Schumacher is your "nose heavy" S13-RB20DET and yourself in your SR20-S13...who do you think will win on a road course????

Every penny I own is on Michael Schumacher.

Every stinking penny.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:36 AM

How many Michael Scumachers are out there?

I think you missed my point anyway. Nevermind.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:01 AM
Contributing Member

Didn't this start out as my RB swap thread not a RB vs. SR thread? I supposedly gained only 45 lbs over the KA I replaced, added a Silvia front end(subtract 25-30lbs), relocated my battery to the trunk(minus another 40lbs), and I don't know what I've lost by eliminating the power steering and AC. I grew up driving a 73 Chevy Full Size with no P/S, so this doesn't bother me, and A/C is only needed here about 2 months out of the year-F that. The RB25 and RB26 are quite a bit heavier due to the huge Z tranny, but so far I've lost weight up front I have about 1/2" more ride height than I did before I pulled the KA( I measured before and after).
Old 08-22-2004, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry for getting offtrack Ryan...

How long before you start driving the beast?
Old 08-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

not really pointing the finger at you Jon, more at gladhatter. Hopefully soon I'm a downpipe and intercooler piping away from start up, well that and the engine harness wiring. The 3 constant +'s in the RB plug stay on all the time the battery is hooked up, I'm thinking about just running them direct to the battery and wiring in that black-red per the wiring instructions and see what happens. The rest is just guage cluster wiring.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

I shouldnt have fallen into that trapo he set though, I know better...

Quick Reply: RB20 is going in!