Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

SR will not start .................again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:16 PM

SR will not start .................again!

Well i had it running for about a week or so, but when i would get on it there was a loud noise under the valve cover(timing chain). After replacing the chain and guides and my tensioner, i havent been able to start it. I got fuel i got spark, still a no go. when i put on my chain it was all accurate with the marks on the cam gears and that lower gear. and i made sure it was at TDC. i also stabbed the CAS right, being that it was my 4th time doing it, and it worked before the chain replacement. heres the list of whats it doing.
-backfiring through the intake
-oozing a thick black smoke from the fart can
-backfiring a little (exhaust)
-wetting the hell outta my plugs(new plugs)
-turning over then itll stop then turnover again (never letting off of the key
-if you hook up a timing gun it didnt flash(but it does spark,might be the gun)
-if you give it some gas while trying to start it will back fire a little out the can.
please help
-John
Old 02-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

gotta be timing, maybe you have it 180 off. its happened to the best of people. did you check it after the chain was on and you had tension? things can move around without you noticing. I have seen that stump a few guys before. hopefully you go to check something and the problem just jumps out at you. are you sure the ignitor chip is plugged in properly? that just happened to someone on this forum not to long ago.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

backfiring out the intake is a sure sign of firing order off or timing severly off. This means the plugs are firing when the valves are open which is obviously wrong.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:56 PM

triple cheched the vavle timing, and its still cool. pulled out my CAS rotated the engine to TDC again reinstaled it and still a no go. please help me.

what else can i do to try to fix this? i clenaned the plugs every now and then just to make sure the light up. so the ignitor chip is cool.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:55 AM

I had the same problem as you when I was finishing up on my swap and trying to get the b!tch started. She just didnt want to start. And I was having the same exact problem. The smell of the fuel was so strong that your eyes watered like someone held and onion to your face.
To make a long story short, 2 gel cell batterys, 3 sets of plugs later and reseting TDC and CAS numerous times, she finally started. So make sure you change your plugs because they are probably fouled by now. For some reason mine was real picky too. Good luck
Old 02-22-2005, 02:23 PM

Your plugs probably do need to be changed now like TWAN said.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:45 PM

what if i just stick them in one of those sand blaster cleaners? they still spark i knowthat for sure( i got shocked doing a compression test)