General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

*wierd* electrical? problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 06:44 AM

Question *wierd* electrical? problem

ok so check this....

my cell phone battery is low cuz my cell phone's connector for the power thing is loose and it didn't charge overnite. I grab my car charger and hook it upto the 240 so I can charge on the drive to work. When I turn the car on, I get this crazy fast clicking noise from the dashboard while the charger is charging. It's same noise you get when you put ur turn signal on, except super fast. Also, when I do put my turn signal on, the noise slows down to the turn signal speed and kicks back upto super fast once my turn signal is done.

Any idea why it's doing this?? (the cell phone appears to be charging correctly)
Old 08-19-2004, 12:05 PM

lol.. thats the weirdest thing i've ever heared.

sorry bro.. got no idea whats wrong. but its still funny sh*t. lol
Old 08-19-2004, 05:08 PM

update: I just tried it with my old cell phone, a motorolla v60 and guess what, it works perfectly..... this is very puzzling...
Old 08-19-2004, 05:21 PM

cellphones have that effect on other electrical stuff...

my tv freezes when someone calls my friends cell

in my moms work caravan...whenever she got a call the speakers would make a buzzing sound a few seconds earlier.....at one point i was going for a ride and she picked up her phone and said hello and i asked her if she was crazy.

edit: fixed typo and added another experience

Last edited by fist; 08-19-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

wow..that is verryyy strange..maybe it's probably the phone..
Old 08-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

does the clicking noise happen when you plug the charger into the phone, or just the charger into the car? does it only happen with the car on? what if your lights are on before you put the charger on?

Try these things to narrow down the possibilities... but I'm betting it's related to the current draw of the charger
Old 08-19-2004, 11:30 PM

okay. Ummm I'm not sure about having lights on, I noticed the problem with the lights off. This charger works perfectly in my G20 and my dad's accord. umm i guess I'll try out more possibilities soon.

My cell phone plan expires in december, so I don't have too long more to put up with this phone. So I may just ignore the problem till then.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:35 PM

I have the same promblem with my signals but I don't charge my phone in my car. Also It seems every time I accelerate my speakers pop above a certain volume, and it's not even high. The only signal that does it is the left one.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by drftr d
I have the same promblem with my signals but I don't charge my phone in my car. Also It seems every time I accelerate my speakers pop above a certain volume, and it's not even high. The only signal that does it is the left one.
check the wiring behind the stereo, the main harness that plugs into the head unit... there's a bunch of wires all over the place back there and I had the same problem until I sorted it out
Old 08-23-2004, 02:12 PM

i know my car had a bad ground on the stereo system. i had to ground to the body right there. i was pulling my hair out for a month thinking my HU was broken! i think i might have a bad ground on the climate control too. the lights on the buttons don't work (all the other lights work).
Old 08-23-2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by djradam
i know my car had a bad ground on the stereo system. i had to ground to the body right there. i was pulling my hair out for a month thinking my HU was broken! i think i might have a bad ground on the climate control too. the lights on the buttons don't work (all the other lights work).
I don't think it's a bad ground with the climate control.... My 240sx and my infniti G20 have the same problem. I think nissan just put ****ty bulbs in there. I've seen many posts on G20.net about it, and the bulbs behind the HVAC need to be replaced... and ti's a real ***** to do. For the amount of work it takes, I'd rather just live with the buttons not lighting up.