General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Legal mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:05 PM

Legal mods

How do you know if a part is legal or not? I've heard of parts being illegal, but on most performance websites, they don't tell you if the part is street legal or not, so I was just wondering if there was a way to find out. Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question..
Old 07-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

um read the labels and such. no offense but this is a really stupid thread. just use common sense, as it will be different on different parts.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:24 PM

most parts will either say something like carb approved, or not legal for street use, but like silviaks2nr said mostly just use common sense
Old 07-24-2005, 05:33 PM

Like I said, on performance websites, they usually don't tell you. I wasn't talking about actually seeing the product..
Old 07-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

it has a lot to do with your state's laws ... search around man, sorry we can't help much.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

a good rule of thumb... befor you buy the parts on line email the seller and find out if the part has a carb number... carb stands for california air research board... if it has a carb number then it is legal in all 50 states as far as emissions...

now each state has different laws... just because it has a carb number it does not mean that your state allows you to put it on your car... your best bet would be go to an emissions testing station and talk to the tech doing the tests to see what they say... if you have a state emissions office call them to see if they have a referee that you can talk to about emissions laws and parts upgrades...
Old 07-24-2005, 09:40 PM

Yeah, I figured I would probably have to talk to people about it. I also was wondering if stage 1 turbo kits are legal? Or does it matter what brand it is?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:53 PM

i read in Import Tuner that even if a part says its CARB legal that doesnt mean its legal on the streets, its because if a cop doesnt like you or how you drive your car they will bust you for what ever they can. I live in minnesota so cops dont know **** about any thing, they dont even know what a SR20 is, my friend rides in a ****ty truck with exhaust that comes out the side infront of the doors. My other friend has 5Zigen Border 304Max Exhaust, which is load as hell, when a cop pulled him over he told the cop that there was a crack in his exhaust and he was gonna get it fixed. Plus there was a huge black spot obove his exhaust tip on the rear bumper (He doesnt have a Cat converter either). Police probobly think its a new style of paint for cars. I love MN

Last edited by keioffice; 07-24-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Nissan NightKid
Yeah, I figured I would probably have to talk to people about it. I also was wondering if stage 1 turbo kits are legal? Or does it matter what brand it is?
most of the time putting a turbo on a car that did not come turbo from the factory is illegal, I don't know all state laws though so this is one of those things where you would have to talk to people
Old 07-25-2005, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

edelbrock makes a turbo kit for some hondas that has a carb number... but here again that dont always mean anything... talk with people in your state who do the testing and ask them your questions... they live where you do so they will know more about it than us...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:02 AM

Alright, thanks everyone, I'll just ask around here.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

what is a stage I turbo kit anyways?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Nissan NightKid

If you live within the 3 western states washington, Oregon, and defenitely Cali, there are controlled regulations on the Carb O.E spec parts. Nevada,New Mexico, and Arizona are soon to follow these regulations.
If the product is not REGISTERED with the proper Carb O.E lisence number that particular part cannot be used, it doesn't follow patent approval to be applied to the stock O.E.M of that vehicle, engine, make and model .
Here is the tricky part. These rules have been put in place by the United States Congress. Which technically means all 50states should be participating to these rules. Due to other rules mandated by a states legislation, technically other states do not need to follow these rules set into place. Accept for installation of a JDM engines which is 100% illegal in all 50 states. Now this rule has nothing to do with smog laws, it is just simply due to the fact that there is no VIN that is acceptible with the DMV registration.
As far as modifying turbo applications on N/A engines, it follows the same rule as the laws put into place for Carb O.E approval.
Which means including the Greedy Turbo kit for the KA24de is not legal within any 50 states, basically meaning the 3 western states Cali, washington, and Oregon, "is this getting confuzing yet? LOL".
So when it means it is street legal, it means "it can be tuned for street use, using your smog emissions equipment", "does it mean it's really legal"....
The answer is...........
NO..........

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-25-2005 at 12:48 PM.