General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

power windows not working!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:20 AM

power windows not working!!!

All my window's aren't working. Someone told me to take out a relay (It looked like a square black box that something plugs into it, its under the center console where you rest ur arm) and replace that. It worked for him.

Well I took it out completely, and I don't have a sqare one to replace it. all the windows were already down, so I drove around on a sunny day. Well last night it started sprinkling, and I started to put my top up (I have a convertible, but I'm sure it's the same problem). Then I just so happen to try to roll the window up and it worked fine like it was before.

Well right now it just stop working again.

Anyone know what this problem could be???

Any kind of help would be nice.

Thanks,
Raxx
Old 10-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

My passenger window was going on and off and eventually quit working..i need t replace my window motor though so i just found a parts car and took the whole assembly out of the door with the glass and all..maybe ur motor is bad..
Old 10-10-2005, 07:38 PM

I doubt its the motor.....

Whats the odds of all my window motor going all out at the same time.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

check all fuses. even tho none say windows, im willing to bet its wired with something else; like how the radio is wired with the interior dome light fuse...
Old 10-11-2005, 06:33 AM

Ya i checked all the fuses under the driver side panel. None of them were burnt out.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:14 PM

Anyways I figured what the problem was.....well kinda of.

The problem was from under the center console. There is 2 things that plugs up. The wires/plug that runs from the driver side to the center console (I guess it's the main power plug, not sure). And the other one wires/plug runs along the passenger side to the center console, and the power switch for the back window is wired up to that too.

Anyways, I so happen to unplug both the plugs. Well after that only the front windows work. I plugged it back up and it stopped working again.

So I'm guessin I have a shortage or something that has to do with the other plug, which I think connects and has something to do with the top, because you know when you let the top down, the back windows goes down also. Yet I don't know where to begin to find the problem, so I took a short cut and just rigged it up the wires myself.

I left the wires/plug from the passenger side off, and cut the plug off the driver side, and cutted the back window wires also.

I just connected them from color to color and it worked. Which of course now, the back windows doesn't roll down as the top goes down. Hopefully it doesn't damage my back windows one day, if I ever forget to roll the back windows before I let the top down.

Thanks for the help though. If you have any ideas on how to fix the problem the right way, feel free to tell me how.

Raxx