General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

serious and strange car problem...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:52 AM

serious and strange car problem...(long)

mods please dont delete this... u can move it werever u want to just dont get rid of it, i need help bad.

ok, i was driving home from work last night, and my headlights go dim, along with my dashlights. then, as i go to cross thru the intersection, in first gear, i take the car to about 15-20 mph, and the car stops accelerating, my tach doesnt work but i could stil tell that rpms were climbing (exhaust). in 2nd, i hit about 25 same thing, 3rd 45 -50, 4th 70, and didnt try fifth, i poped it outta gear and revved it, went high and back down no problem.

i got to another stop sign... car was idleing fine as normal, but headlights were still dim along with everything else, then i hear what seems to be a knock (not a rod knock), the only way to describe it is that it sounds like something was bouncing off of the fan or something...

then the headlights brighten back up... then all is good with the world.

finally when i get to town, my lights dim again. then at the light, the BRAKE light comes on (at normal brightness) then turns off quickly, along with the battery light very dimly flickering. i take off and same problems as b 4. then i get home, and turn off the car. i turned it back on once just to see if it would start, and it did without hesitation.

most of the problems i know could be maybe the alternator, but what else could cause the other acceleration probs? and the brake light comes on, whats that about?

thanks for reading i know its long and i need help baaaaaaaad so please do n e thing to help me lol.

BTW: my engine is a stock KA
Old 02-11-2006, 01:39 AM

Check your Alt belt and then start the car pull the Neg batt cable off if it dies then it is your alt. other than that the symptoms point to nothing else. I could be wrong but more than likely not it has happend to me.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:08 AM

so did u have the exact problems? such as the bad acceleration and stuff? and what about that noise? possibly something else? ill be checking the alternator in the morning
Old 02-11-2006, 02:30 AM

Yes but only after it drained my battery once my battery was drained it started with the lights, fuel injectors acting up etc.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:30 AM

oh ok thanks a bunch bro, i thought i was loookin at a long list of repairs, thats a releif.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:47 AM

Well just do the check I was talking about 1st before you come to any conclusions about a short list of repairs.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by silviasichigo
Well just do the check I was talking about 1st before you come to any conclusions about a short list of repairs.
yea, dont be one of the people that goes and spends ridiculous money on stuff they think is broken... and end up needing a new battery
Old 02-12-2006, 07:34 PM

lol ok guys thanks for the help i got it under control
Old 02-12-2006, 09:27 PM

well spill the beans what was it?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:23 PM

I just had the same thing happen to me! I put a brand new battery in there about 2 weeks ago and went on some rather long trips. (about 600 miles total.) then saturday morning I was driving on the interstate at about 75 when the car just kinda stuttered and hesitated. almost like pushing in the clutch without letting off the gas and then letting it back out quickly. So i pulled off let the car cool down and then drove the rest of the way home. also my stock radio has a high pitched whine when the car is driving. ? the whine goes up and down with the revs. And Today when i got off work I went to start the car and nothing happend it was stone dead. No lights came on or anything? What the heck?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:52 PM

sounds like the alternator... or the alternator fuse...