General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

smoking interior???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:44 AM

smoking interior???

Hey guys,

Three questions here..

1.) I was driving to work and i made my usual right turn on my street near my house and i heard a POP sound. kind of like a big rock hitting the underside of the car.. i assumed that my tire kicked up a rock and hit the car. but i was driving down the highway half way to work and i noticed smoke coming form the **** boot area... couldnt really take a good look because i had to keep my eyes on the road. when i got to work i looked under the car to see if a line burst or something broke and leaking some kind of fluid. nothing seemed wrong. i didnt notice any more smoke when i drove home.. but i was dark so i dont know. i drove my car to my other job today and it seemed fine no more smoke. and my car seems to be running fine.

Now the question is... has anyone else had this problem. or perhaps may know what could possible cause such a thing? i was thinking something with the tranny.. i dont know maybe i just blew a fuse....

2.) Does the 240 have a cabin air filter i can replace? or do i have to rip out my interior dash and manually clean out the air ducts? I'm getting a funky smell when ever i turn on the fan. smells like sweaty gym socks... well not that bad but stale.

3.) On ever other cars i've had the air re-circulation buttom works on every setting. but on my 240 it only works on 3 bottons. the direct air coming from front vents, the one going JUST to the feet and the one going to front vents and feet. the one going to windshield alone and the one going to both the windsheid and feet doesnt work. Now is this normal for the 240's?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:28 AM

well the re-circulation button ... yea mine does that too

read the manual it tells you all about it

also the tranny thing... that's weird.

maybe a plastic bag with something was kicked up to the tranny while driving ... and then the plastic melted? maybe that's the smoke ?

i've had that before... and if nothings wrong... that's my guess..

hehe
Old 04-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

i would imagine the 240 has a cabin air filter... my sister's 94 maxima does the same thing, when you turn on the a/c for the first few minutes is smells like dog ***... id say unload some fabreeze in the seats and under the dash so it recirculates through the system... do it every time you drive, keeps MY 240 from smelling like smoke. Its a bad habit, yes, but i cant stand my 240 smelling like smoke, and i cant stand quitting.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by LA_phantom_240
i would imagine the 240 has a cabin air filter... my sister's 94 maxima does the same thing, when you turn on the a/c for the first few minutes is smells like dog ***... id say unload some fabreeze in the seats and under the dash so it recirculates through the system... do it every time you drive, keeps MY 240 from smelling like smoke. Its a bad habit, yes, but i cant stand my 240 smelling like smoke, and i cant stand quitting.

Smoker, loser, LOL just kidding, I smoke too, I don't like the smell in my car either, but of course I smoke menthols!

my AC controls doesn't work right either, but mine was taken out, then the ac/heater wire, is bent, so when I want the ac on, I have to take out my controls, then move the wire to the ac position, same goes for heat also!

Last edited by RB26DETT_240sx; 04-05-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:10 AM

Man, it only takes like 15 minutes to take a s13 dash out, don't fear it. I have done it so many times! =P
Old 04-06-2006, 08:44 AM

yeah. i'm going to take the dash out.. but i'm just lazy right now.. maybe on my next day off.. of maybe i can spray some mold kill product in my vents... LOL
Old 04-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RB26DETT_240sx

Smoker, loser, LOL just kidding, I smoke too, I don't like the smell in my car either, but of course I smoke menthols!

my AC controls doesn't work right either, but mine was taken out, then the ac/heater wire, is bent, so when I want the ac on, I have to take out my controls, then move the wire to the ac position, same goes for heat also!
I smoke deh' kool menthol lights... nice flavor...