How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

DC Sports/Hot Shot Header install

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:19 AM

DC Sports/Hot Shot Header install

Whats up guy's I'm on rainy day schedule, that means no work for me for a couple hours. I thought I would post pics of my install because I am really bored right now....... So here I go.....

First what you will need your basic metric wrench kit with wrenches from 10mm to 24mm. Estimated time for header install on s13 4Hours and 15minutes. Header install for the s14 3hours and 45minutes. Only because the S13 came with the AIV unit does the install take slightly longer. This estimated time was also added for the addition of strut brace bars, if one is not on your vehicle subtract 20minutes from the estimated time.
So to start first we take the crap header and anylize where it is and where to get it out. DC Sports nore does HOT shot have a manual for installing the performance headers, technically this should become a sticky, but ehhh whatever floats the boat of the mods....
Name:  DCsportsinstall001.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  55.5 KB

First I unscrewed the EGR tube and the AIV tube from the header. AIV should be easy to unscrew from underneath the car, while the EGR tube will be a little more difficult since the brake lines are in the way. Just take your time it should come off within 30minutes at the most. You will need a 24mm wrench to take the tubes off.
Then you will want to unbolt the header from underneath at the CAT.
Name:  DCsportsinstall004.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  32.3 KB
Then what you need to do is unbolt and disconnect the steering column from the rack this will allow you more room to slide the header out. Distributor wires will need to be removed as well as the AIV for the S13. As you can see with this pic I had unbolted the header early. There is NO clearance to get the headerr out without the removal of theose components.
Name:  DCsportsinstall003.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  94.2 KB
Once all the components are out of the way then unbolt the header from the head. You may need a friend to hold the collector the stock OEM cast is pretty heavy. Once it was out of the bay I wanted to compare difference between the 2 headers. Obviously the DC will show major improvement....
Name:  DCsportsinstall006.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  82.4 KB
Before sliding the DC sports or Hot shot into place you will need to clean gasket areas with mineral spirit and a brillo pad or wire brush, make shure that there is no left over crap or residue left or gaskets may not seal correctly. You could get leaks. Then put all gaskets into place, on the header to head gaskets there are tabs on the gaskets, have the tabs face upward, so that you know that it is on correctly. Then slide the new header into place again having a friend hold the collector at the bottom.
Only bolt the collector to the cat first. The reason for this is that you will struggle to put the EGR and AIV on the aftermarket headers. Just make them snug, and then you can bolt the header to the head. Once the headr is bolted tight then tighten the EGR connection, and AIV.
Name:  DCsportsinstall009.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  77.1 KB
Now it is all a matter of putting everything back, and installing the longer O2 wire (nly for DC sports models).
Then sit back and admire the product. Get in you car and burn some donuts to feel some HP.....
Name:  DCsportsinstall010.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  95.8 KB

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-29-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:35 PM

nice write up V, stickied
Old 11-29-2005, 03:45 PM

MARVELOUS You sir are my hero!!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:13 PM

How does it feel in power? how louder is it
Old 11-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Good job Big V, Glad youre on our crew.

So tell me, does the butt dyno feel much of a difference in your opinion?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by gunline_boss
How does it feel in power? how louder is it
Originally posted by LA_phantom_240
Good job Big V, Glad youre on our crew.

So tell me, does the butt dyno feel much of a difference in your opinion?

Well all I can say is massive improvement. The engines scavanging numbers are less and the engine defenitely sounds much louder. I was very impressed with the DC Sports, overall there is power through out the entire power band. The engine bay isn't hot at all, possibly due to the ceramic coating on the header. Sound pulses sound more insync, groules rather than whimpers now.
I was also impressed with the collector size, for only 3/8" larger in diameter it showed some seriously (whip your head back) results. DC sports collector runs 2 1/8", the stock OEM collector is 1 3/4". DC had to make the size that big for Cali legality, which I did speak to the rep at DC, the excemption should go through sometime in 2006, the paper work is being processed.

Overall on the butt dyno I would say that I gained 10HP from the header, 3 HP from the high flow CAT, and 7 HP from the Pacesetter CAT back exhaust. Total power in the exhaust about 19~21HP. High flow CAT and cat back are all in 2.5". This isn't like the imaginary 14peak HP from a 3" exhaust either. The HP I feel is from 1200RPM~5900RPM, with a slight dyno dip.

Personally I highly recomend the DC sports I am impressed with the design, the fact that it uses ceramic coating, and the fact that DC backed up the proof in HP. No Joke, this is one of the best headers for the KA IMO.
I've delt with OBX and power shifts through out the power band, sometimes you wonder where the power went. I've also delt with the Hot Shot, which I do notice a bit more dyno dip from 3800 to 4200RPM. The DC dyno dips also, but it doesn't feel as if it takes as long for it to build up power.........

My whole exhaust system was off of EBAY.
$354 DC sports header
$50 high flow CAT
$225 cat back exhaust
Total for those of you that can't do basic math $629.00
All installed by me.....PRICELESS

And people pay almost $500 for a 3" cat back exhaust? LOL

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-29-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

good right up... i cnt use it, but i'm sure others will...

that stock exhaust manifold looks like sh*t
Old 12-02-2005, 07:07 PM

hey Vin, when you bolted the headers up on the head did you use a type of bolt pattern or hole pattern. Like for example did you tighten up the top left hole and then the right bottom one or anything like that?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:22 PM

I don't think it really matters any specific order. Although it was much easier to start with cylinder 1 and then worked my way to the end of cylinder 4 just snugging the top bolts (not tightened yet).
Then I snugged all the bottom bolts.
Then I tightened cylinder 1 port top bolt first then the bottom bolt.
I then continued this process to cylinder 4 port.
If you do not have a torque wrench( no worries), just don't strip or break the threads. I didn't use a torque wrench, and I still have no leaks after a few months of driving.......

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-02-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:57 PM

Aright cool. Thank yah
Old 12-08-2005, 10:03 PM

CARB legal?

Bigvinnie, your entire exhaust setup, CARB legal? or at least the headers? reason why im asking is because im tyring to buy my friend's 240sx, but it failed the visual smog test, he installed pacesetter headers a couple of years ago, therefore he couldnt transfer ownership.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:52 AM

The DC sports exemption won't be through until 2006. I spoke with the rep at DC and he said that the papers have been filed with the state of california.
Catco CAT is 50state street legal.
Pace setter cat back exhaust passes the cali Db test.
The whole set up is technically legal.
If you decide to buy the header early like I did keep a copy of your reciept. You will need that to send it to the state in order to recieve the exemption sticker for your header. (That is what I was told from a rep at DC sports)
Old 12-10-2005, 02:19 AM

the book says to tighten in this order:

: 5 1 3 7
:8 4 2 6

i was thinking about getting this too i got an exhaust leak and i thought it was the cat now i think it's where the header meets the front tub. i hope none of my pipes are cracked.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by Monkey Boy
the book says to tighten in this order:

: 5 1 3 7
:8 4 2 6

i was thinking about getting this too i got an exhaust leak and i thought it was the cat now i think it's where the header meets the front tub. i hope none of my pipes are cracked.
I didn't follow the book, just because when the EGR fitting goes on the header the flange doesn't seat properlly to the head and gaskets. It flexes a little bit more than the cast iron OEM. Doing the bottom bolts were a pain in the A$$ also.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Vin, you said you have a pacesetter exhaust right? Ive been eyeing that since i bought my 240. How do you like it? Is it loud? Did you notice a diefference in power? I like the pacesetter because it looks classy and sounds like its pretty sensible as far as noise

Quick Reply: DC Sports/Hot Shot Header install