How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

DC Sports/Hot Shot Header install

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by LA_phantom_240
Vin, you said you have a pacesetter exhaust right? Ive been eyeing that since i bought my 240. How do you like it? Is it loud? Did you notice a diefference in power? I like the pacesetter because it looks classy and sounds like its pretty sensible as far as noise
Honest Opinion.......
Pacesetter defenitely isn't top notch quality. How ever it does get the job done when it come's to making power. The welds to the muffler look like dog crap, but they arent even noticeable from underneath the chassis. The chrome on the tips still look good to the day I purchased it a year ago.
I have heard that some pacesetter monza exhausts don't even fit as well as mine did, and that some come in a 2 piece that aren't that well fabricated as my 3 piece. Technically it is a toss up if you get one like mine from an ebay seller. Always ask if the monza comes in a 3 piece to know that you have the right one.
Over all sound quality is good. The black paint that comes on the exhaust burns off after day 2. It is a nice tone that isn't to ricey, and it doesn't come with any resonators like most exhaust, and IMO that is the majority of the performance. Any exhaust that comes with resonators will cut down on performance.
I will leave a pic of my install for you to decide. Also make shure you get a gasket from a chevy CAT/exhaust flange for 2.5" the pacesetter gasket is literally a piece of paper.
Name:  Pacesetter240.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  47.1 KB
Name:  pacesetterfinished.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  32.4 KB
Name:  finishedproduct.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  46.0 KB

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-11-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:25 AM

Might I add... use 'loc-tite' anti-sieze, to keep the bolts from melting in place.

30 mins to take the back egr... lucky you man... took me 2 days... and a can of PB blaster XD.

Then my cat-to-header and cat-to-muffler bolts are nice and melted, gonna take a saw-saw to that...

hope my install goes well cuz i'm driving it with the exhaust in pieces, and an experiemental ebay exhaust (grapefruit chucker)

Last edited by Sieji; 12-16-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:34 PM

Monday Morning

Install went pretty smooth, I ended up taking the header apart (primary/secondary headers), but the DC headers are worth the price tag... also the ebay muffler wasn't too bad either for stainless steel 3" piping

Name:  DSC00105.jpg
Size:  11.8 KB Name:  DSC00106.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  10.6 KB
Name:  DSC00107.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  11.0 KB

$275 header
$95 cat
$240 cat-back/rez
$10 copper gasket

self install ... priceless (clean, no?)

Name:  DSC00110.jpg
Size:  11.4 KB
Old 12-19-2005, 04:42 PM

Re: Monday Morning

Originally posted by Sieji
[B]Install went pretty smooth, I ended up taking the header apart (primary/secondary headers), but the DC headers are worth the price tag... also the ebay muffler wasn't too bad either for stainless steel 3" piping
$275 header
$95 cat
$240 cat-back/rez
$10 copper gasket

self install ... priceless (clean, no?)
Good to see you got a good deal on your header.
So Sieji, just for all those non believers do you feel a significant difference in whp and acceleration? I would say so. Does your butt dyno average 19~21 HP as well?

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-19-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:02 PM

OH yea... it's worth every penny, pulls stronger throughout the whole power band. I don't feel much of the torque drop as people claim.
I haven't pushed the car past 3500 for fear of police and the noise the exhaust generates, but i feel around the 10-15+hp gain to the wheels
For a 13 year or so car, with a stock iron header, it was a big improvement, it weighs less too.
Only gripe I have about it, is the finish (hard keeping it clean on a self install), and the fact that some of the lower bolts were annoying to put on. The header smooths out to a collector pretty quick, so i couldn't take a socket to it (open-ended wrenches suk, esp if you only have 10 degrees of freedom to move).

Lesson for this thread kiddies: go save up that christmas money, skip a few meals at mcdonalds, panera, or whatever expensive food join and drop 3 bens for this puppy.

Install was pretty simple too: as long as you have thumbs, and a decent socket/wrench set and some elbow grease anyone could do it.

Overall it took me about 2 hours and some change to pull the old exhaust/manifold and another 2 to put the new one in and snug all the flanges.

Last edited by Sieji; 12-19-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:48 PM

yo vin,seiji, i got my headers yesterday and it said for vehicles w/ more than 50k miles it is recommended i get new engine mounts and transmission mounts. i was wondering if yall's engine has more than 50k and if it does, did yall get new engine mounts and transmission mounts?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by *Tx_BLooD_240*
yo vin,seiji, i got my headers yesterday and it said for vehicles w/ more than 50k miles it is recommended i get new engine mounts and transmission mounts. i was wondering if yall's engine has more than 50k and if it does, did yall get new engine mounts and transmission mounts?
Still on my stock mounts with over 110,000miles. No worries here. But I did just order some stock mounts that I am about to polyurethane (for extra strength). DC only adds that as a warning that it may void the warrantee on the header if you don't replace them and your header cracks, it's a durable header I wouldn't really worry unless you dogg the crap out of your engine.........
Old 01-06-2006, 07:50 PM

aright cool thnx

if possible can yall post a sound clip???

Last edited by *Tx_BLooD_240*; 01-06-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Off topic yay........How hard is it to replace the motor mounts? And how do you go about doing it? Thanks. I wanna do it soon because I get a lot of moving around that shouldn't happen.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 PM

motor mounts and tranny

i dropped a 97 engine in my 92 hatch... so my mounts were still kinda fresh. But I did change my tranny mount, just cuz i was under there... and never changed it at the swap.

100k miles on engine... about 210k on tranny and body

As for actually changing the engine mounts, it's not really hard, but timely and annoying. like you gotta pull some wires, vaccum lines, get a cherry-picker, then lift the engine out just to access the mounts (you don't have to completely pull the engine out). Then make sure everything you took out or took apart goes back. Only 2 mounts to change too... one on each side (pass/driver).

as for the tranny mount... there's maybe about 4 bolts on the x-member and 2 on the actual mount..., and i can't remember if the exhaust support linked to it... but it's really easy to change the tranny one.

my suggestion... if it ain't broke, don't NEED to fix it.

~eji

hope you enjoy your headers ^^

Last edited by Sieji; 01-12-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:57 AM

anyone know if dc makes a CARB LEGAL 95 obd1 header?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:36 AM

So D/C header is recomended over other companies??? Next to an intake, a header is going to be my next mod.

Question: I live in Alabama and we currently do not have to have out emissions tested, so could I (in theory) go directly from the header to the exhaust pipe to the muffler, or should I go ahead and plan on getting a high flow cat?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated! Thanx; Guy
Old 01-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

u could straight-pipe it... just don't get caught.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:03 AM

Hey Vinnie, does DC sports make headers for a 98 240sx?? Or does any company.I searched and all could come up w/ was Megan racing and Hotshot.
Because we were trying to install it yesterday and everything was going good until the EGR tube came up. Compared to your car its different.
Yours

Mine:

Do you see the difference?? I was thinking maybe (since my egr tube is bad anyways) that i could get an S13 egr tube and put it in my s14. Or if it will work or not.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by *Tx_BLooD_240*

Do you see the difference?? I was thinking maybe (since my egr tube is bad anyways) that i could get an S13 egr tube and put it in my s14. Or if it will work or not.
I'm pretty shure the location of the EGR from the s13 to s14 is in the same location of the manifold.
But I don't know if the angle of the actual EGR changes from the inlet port end. ( I really doubt that it does, I can't remember off the top of my head)
Hey it's worth a shot and the tube should be affordable at any wrecking yard. You can be one of the first to let us know that it works.......
If it's to much trouble send it back and get the Hot Shots..... Do not purchase the Megan.......

Quick Reply: DC Sports/Hot Shot Header install