How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

front bearing install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

front wheel bearing install

while this is not a 240 the procedure is fundamentally the same for all cars.

tools.
floor jack
jack stands
bottle jack
hammer
needle nose pliers
1/2" ratchet
36mm socket
14mm 17mm 19mm socket
14mm 17mm 19mm wrench
strut alignment gauge

1. raise car
like always i used two jack stands for added security. i work alone so i need to make sure that the repair doesn't come to a halt by having the car fall on me. also set the e break and block off the rear wheels.

2.remove wheel
just as it says. after the wheel was removed i placed a lug nut back on to hold the brake disk in place for the next step, although it could be done after the disk was removed.

3. check camber
this nifty little thing can be found at most major parts stores i picked it up at harbor freight. if you choose to not get one, place marks of the strut and steering knuckle to later be aliened. but if you do use the gauge set the level to read 0 and carefully remove it and place it out of the way so it won't get moved.

4. remove tie rod
some time ago someone asked about removing the tie rod. he was having trouble with the fork style remover. this is my proven method. once the nut has been removed place the bottle jack under the the tie rod bolt and raise it some. once the strut begins to compress that should be good enough. now take the hammer and tap the steering knuckle.

5. remove nuts and bolts
i started with the brake line clip and then the caliper so it could be placed aside. this is not the order that they need to be removed in but the strut bolt souls be next to last because they keep the steering knuckle from moving around. last will be the control are nut. but fist loosen it and turn it so it's flush with the bolt. pull up on the steering knuckle and hit the bolt. the reason for leaving the nut flush is so you don't damage the thread and have to buy a new ball joint.

6. remove old bearing install new one
i'm not going to go into detail here because removal of the old bearing requires a press. if you have one odds are you know exactly what to do. if you done have one then you'll need to find a machine shop that will do this for you.
but first remove the seals, grease, and maybe a retainer clip or two depending on your car. if you don't have a press and the steering knuckle is clean if you ask nicely at a shop they might do it for free. if not you'll have to dish out some cash. once the bearing is in place install the new seals and
begin to put the whole thing back together.

7. steering knuckle install.
just put everything back together and torqued properly but leave the strut blots for last. you can put them on when ever you want just don't tighten them. so once everything except the strut bolt have been torqued place the alignment gauge back on. push or pull the strut to get a 0 reading on the gauge and tighten the bolts.

8. place wheel back on and lower car
congratulations you have not only finished but you saved yourself some cash by doing it yourself. now that you have done this once and saved all that money you can buy all the tools that you didn't have this time.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 10-25-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

sweet write up dude good info
Old 03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Great write-up, detailed with nice pictures.